After Classic

Classic Discussion
I've played WoW ever since vanilla beta in 2004. I even played WC3 and brood wars before that. Ever since the announcement of the release of classic servers I've been so excited I can barely contain myself. The last expansion that excited me was WotLK, since then I've mostly given up on WoW.

So the big question is what happens once all the classic content has been released on the server. The conclusion I came to which now seems like the only obvious answer is that after a certain amount of time a new The Burning Crusade server should be opened. Level 60s from the classic server could have a choice to migrate to the TBC server or remain on the classic server. New characters can continue to be rolled on both the Classic and TBC server, but migration only goes from Classic to TBC. That way players can roll level 1 Blood Elf and Draenei on TBC server and leave the classic server uncontaminated. Those players who aren't interested in TBC expansion can remain on the classic server.
I'm sure they are developing classic to be able to progress like a progression server... but I don't believe initial classic servers will be progressive servers. Those will come later.
They said they will look into it and see what the community wants when it comes to that point but I don’t think it’s on their radar atm.

TBC servers would be ideal though
I'm saying this without being a "durrr use the search" type of person...

But seriously, try the search. You'll find dozens upon dozens of these threads already that have a lot of thoughtful ideas on what Blizzard could do once this gets going.

Who knows what they're going to do, though. I don't think people realize how much work it will take to redo all of these expansions the way they were (which version, again, do they pick) and to have all these servers running different versions of the game. Could they do it? Probably... But I don't see why they would - I think people massively underestimate the amount of resources it would take to do this - and it would really split up the player base big time between all the different versions.

My guess... You're getting Classic and that's it.
Pretty sure they will release WoW mobile after classic. We all want it, even though we think we don't.

So lets all make classic great, since it will probably be the last true mmo bliz makes.
Yeah, I think if classic is successful enough they'll definitely do this. We've seen this thread many many times.

I think the important thing here is, and I cannot emphasize this enough, do not force vanilla players into BC and beyond, server resets, gear obsoletion after Naxx or anything of the sort.
11/12/2018 07:15 PMPosted by Shendalar
I'm saying this without being a "durrr use the search" type of person...

It's hurrr durr btw.
We plebs have standards.
Hopefully we can talk them into progression that turns out better than what is happening with the current game
11/12/2018 10:39 PMPosted by Edorin
Hopefully we can talk them into progression that turns out better than what is happening with the current game

Or just maybe, like so many people say, we can keep classic servers stale classic, and open up another set of servers that start classic and then go an entirely new un-jacked up route that maintains the primary things that kept classic good while going with another timeline as well as keeping the RPG aspect alive!
I doubt they would spend time developing new content for a classic server. Likely BIS naxx gear will remain that way with no new tiers.
Pshaw, your opinion and words are worthless unless you installed WC Orcs and Humans on DOS.

You could control FOUR units at once!

For after Classic id say prep and announce a progression server with everything timed and tuned tightly, so the hardcore can race. Theyll need the new content more than casuals and Blizz can capitalize on the drama and scandals.
11/12/2018 07:09 PMPosted by Tenthplague
I've played WoW ever since vanilla beta in 2004. I even played WC3 and brood wars before that. Ever since the announcement of the release of classic servers I've been so excited I can barely contain myself. The last expansion that excited me was WotLK, since then I've mostly given up on WoW.

So the big question is what happens once all the classic content has been released on the server. The conclusion I came to which now seems like the only obvious answer is that after a certain amount of time a new The Burning Crusade server should be opened. Level 60s from the classic server could have a choice to migrate to the TBC server or remain on the classic server. New characters can continue to be rolled on both the Classic and TBC server, but migration only goes from Classic to TBC. That way players can roll level 1 Blood Elf and Draenei on TBC server and leave the classic server uncontaminated. Those players who aren't interested in TBC expansion can remain on the classic server.

I rather have a choice to copy to BC as well.
I share the same sentiment, being able to choose to move on.

But what if there is no choice? What if the only option is to freeze experience to stay in Classic if so desired? The argument could be made that we had the choice all along to not progress to Burning Crusade in the first place. Just food for thought.
11/13/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Tenthplague
I doubt they would spend time developing new content for a classic server. Likely BIS naxx gear will remain that way with no new tiers.

They've already explored the fact that there will come a time where those who are more interested in what classic offers may want to do something more.

Blizzard is fully aware that Classic WoW pertains to an entirely different audience than those that are fulfilled by the current iteration of the game.

The best option is put forth in the concept of maintaining Classic servers in a frozen image while opening a third set of servers. As to what will be done with the third set, be it keep level cap at 60 but increased content, go a new route but maintaining the vanilla standards or simply making BC and then WLK servers is something we will only learn in due time.