Theories on Teldrassil

Story Forum
Supposedly the Night Elves knew that Teldrassil was going to burn, just like Sylvanas did.

Are there any theories as to why? or is Sylvanas just projecting and assuming that the night elves think she will torch the place?

Is there any known reason why the tree would actually need to be burned?

Just looking for clarification, not a sylvanas justification theory.
Nathanos rolled up with a sick bag of marshmallows.

Only way to cook those righteous nuggets proper would be to light that gnarly oak aflame, bra.
11/13/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Zarles
Nathanos rolled up with a sick bag of marshmallows.

Only way to cook those righteous nuggets proper would be to light that gnarly oak aflame, bra.

Thank you, it all makes sense now. I wish I would have brought marshmallows. Opportunity missed.
11/13/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Mellow
Supposedly the Night Elves knew that Teldrassil was going to burn, just like Sylvanas did.

... did they?

Then why did Tyrande send me back to darnassus telling me to make the occupation as painless as possible?
Mostly just Sylvanas projecting I think.

That bag of marshmallows might've been a good sign though.
If you're trying to tee up the "Teldrassil was corrupted" theory, no. We had a whole book and a full questline dedicated to showing us that the tree was purified to the point that Ysera - the one designated by Eonar herself to safeguard the Dream, despite how she later turned - felt comfortable granting it her blessing. After that, we had another full zone in Legion dedicated to us containing the Nightmare, topped off with us slaying the one who held the most interest in taking Teldrassil.

Past that, corruption didn't factor into Sylvanas's motivations, it was about asset control and war. There was no indication that the tree would burn or needed to burn until Sylvanas herself burnt it. It was a spontaneous decision, no Night Elves knew that this would happen.
11/13/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Grandblade
Past that, corruption didn't factor into Sylvanas's motivations, it was about asset control and war. There was no indication that the tree would burn or needed to burn until Sylvanas herself burnt it. It was a spontaneous decision, no Night Elves knew that this would happen.
Some signs might indicate that Sylvanas was intending to burn it all along, given the line that sparked this thread in the first place, but yeah, it was unambiguously spontaneous from the Night Elves' perspective. It's just Sylvanas projecting her Cerseian outlook on things to everyone, like how she cynically misjudged the Gathering every way to Sunday.
If you're trying to tee up the "Teldrassil was corrupted" theory, no.

No, I'm not trying to tee up anything, I'm legit just wondering.

11/13/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Ximothy
... did they?

Yes... at least according to Sylvanas' thinking in a good war.
11/13/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Mellow
Yes... at least according to Sylvanas' thinking in a good war

Well Sylvanas is wrong. There's no real implication Tyrande suspected she'd set the tree on fire. In fact, she seemed more certain that the Horde was just going to occupy it. Which was Saurfang's plan before Sylvanas hyjacked it. The city was pretty unprepared for such a sudden evacuation, while almost all Gilneans got out, a lot of elves didn't.

Sylvanas may just be projecting, thinking Tyrande would view war the same way she does.
is just sylvanas projecting her evil plans.
11/13/2018 04:23 PMPosted by Ximothy
Sylvanas may just be projecting, thinking Tyrande would view war the same way she does.

well, it was more directed at Malfurion and his troops than actually at Tyrande. But I don't suppose that matters much.
11/13/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Mellow
well, it was more directed at Malfurion and his troops than actually at Tyrande.
They don't view it the same cynical way either.

Are there any theories as to why? or is Sylvanas just projecting and assuming that the night elves think she will torch the place?

Both Tyrande and Sylvannas were giving orders with a view to a Horde occupation of Darnassus literally up to the last minute. I don't see the justification for your statement.
Here is my really wacky out there theory guys.

The point of Sylvanas burning Teldrassil is meant to show her crossing a line and shape her as an antagonist for both the Alliance and the members of the Horde who are bound to honor. I know, it's a very crazy theory, but I think that might be what they were doing.
For plot's sake i would accept it, but from apurely technical standpoint - how do you burn a miles high, miles across tree? With just normal incendiary catapult projectiles...firing across miles and miles of sea?
I think Sylvanas meant that the Night Elves are no longer immortal, and all things in the world will burn and die over time.

Sylvanas does not seem to think it is purely this assault that will burn the tree. Even without the War of Thorns and without the Horde, she feels some enemy of the Night Elves would have burned it eventually.

Jaina even suggests such a thing a few expacs ago.

Sylvanas states the Night Elves knew deep down, but couldn't admit it.

I am inclined to agree, if Jaina and Sylvanas have thought about it.

The Night Elves stopped building massive metropolises, as a culture, for thousands of years.

The one they do build - was planted by Fandral, against Malfurion's wishes, and was corrupted, though later cleansed.

I suggest that the Night Elves knew (or should have known) Teldrassil would burn because of their history. It is an exception that proves the rule.

The last few metropolises the Night Elves built sunk into the sea or had to use a bubble like Dalaran to survive. For 10000 years they lived in the woods of Kalimdor. Teldrassil only stood for 20 years or so.

Teldrassil was more representative of the failures of Night Elves than their successes post-Sundering. Even before it burned.
11/14/2018 12:06 AMPosted by Kyiwani
For plot's sake i would accept it, but from apurely technical standpoint - how do you burn a miles high, miles across tree? With just normal incendiary catapult projectiles...firing across miles and miles of sea?

Azeroth functions by rule-of-cool. If the devs think it would look cool in a cutscene, it becomes physically possible.
11/14/2018 12:06 AMPosted by Kyiwani

I think the story says its the shaman elemental fire made it spread faster.

I don't understand what you're saying. There's no indication that Nelfs knew that she was going to burn the tree. I mean watch the cinematic she decided it on the spot

MY theory is in a couple of patches, Blizz will retcon the cinematic so that Delaryn is raised before the burning of the tree, and orders the burning of the tree herself. Thus Sylvanas fans will be all like "But Sylvanas didn't want to burn it, Delaryn did!"