Which loot system works best?

Classic Discussion
The best loot system that I have personally been a part of was a blind bid dkp system, but with a quasi "loot council" determining who could bid.

For example, if a bow with agi and crit dropped, it would generally be hunters that were up for bidding. If all the hunters had that bow or something better already, rogues and warriors would be able to bid.

The blind bid aspect meant that if you really wanted a particular item, you would have to drop all your dkp to make sure you got it over other people who wanted it. This doesn't stop hoarding, but it does make it less efficient for overall gearing.
I've raided under every loot system at one point or another and the one that I remember most fondly was the suicide kings system.

Sure there was always a few people that wouldn't take anything so they would be at the top for a trinket or weapon but the other 35 people in the raid group got geared in a fair and roughly even way.

Also it was easy to add new raid members, just put them at the bottom of the list and let them move up it naturally.
11/14/2018 02:11 PMPosted by Tastymanwich
The best loot system that I have personally been a part of was a blind bid dkp system, but with a quasi "loot council" determining who could bid.

For example, if a bow with agi and crit dropped, it would generally be hunters that were up for bidding. If all the hunters had that bow or something better already, rogues and warriors would be able to bid.

The blind bid aspect meant that if you really wanted a particular item, you would have to drop all your dkp to make sure you got it over other people who wanted it. This doesn't stop hoarding, but it does make it less efficient for overall gearing.

That's pretty much what we used with the addition of oversight by the officers so you couldn't just pass on clear upgrades to hoard your points. If the item was an upgrade for you then you had to post at least the minimum bid for the item (which varied depending on the item).
Assuming you're referring to raid guild loot distribution methods:

Any system can work IF everyone involved agrees and is ethical.
Any system can be undermined, or feel unfair, if some disagree or any person with any power over the loot is unethical.

Now, that said, from the various systems I was involved in, my favorite was a combination of Suicide Kings and plain 1-100 rolls. My least favorite was a DKP system with bids. It was too easily manipulated by a few people, and as a guild that had a lot of turnover it made recruiting very hard because "no one" could afford to bid for anything unless all the veterans had it already.

(EDIT: Just to fix posting issue that duped the text.)
11/14/2018 12:26 AMPosted by Stevospeedo
Loot Council works best for guilds that handle loot maturely and have the best interests of the guild at heart. Point systems work best for immature people that like to work the system to their own personal advantage.

This.
My raid guild used DKP.

+100 DKP for each boss kill
+100 DKP for each hour spent in the raid
You could only get 1 "1st Roll" item raid
You could get as many "2nd Roll" items per raid as you wanted
The person with the highest DKP won.
Each item cost you half your DKP.
You can't get a 50DKP Minus if you don't use DKP... #justsaying
11/14/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Velossena
My raid guild used DKP.

Thats not dkp that is some homemade BS you are calling DKP.
DKP is 0 sum for a reason.
Loot council with clear goals in mind and a degree of transparency so the results are sort of expected by everybody. With PvE loot distribution focused towards progress and PvP stuff going first to people who actually do PvP.

That's not something you will see often though, I myself suffered from poorly done loot council, in a Naxx raiding guild where good and even BiS pieces often went to new members or even trialists to "encourage them", over core members and even officers. I was an officer there but ultimately our input didn't amount to much and the leader did whatever he already had in mind.

DKP is counterproductive to progression but can work for guilds that don't raid seriously and don't get far.
11/14/2018 03:55 PMPosted by Araska

DKP is counterproductive to progression but can work for guilds that don't raid seriously and don't get far.

It that why back then almost every server 1st guild used DKP? Because it didn't work for serious progression?
11/14/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Lorissa
11/14/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Velossena
My raid guild used DKP.

Who died and named you head which wayer of what gets to called what. Just because we used it a different way then most people doesn't mean it wasn't DKP, and doesn't mean it didn't work.
11/14/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Velossena
11/14/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Lorissa

Who died and named you head which wayer of what gets to called what. Just because we used it a different way then most people doesn't mean it wasn't DKP, and doesn't mean it didn't work.

DKP is a well known form of raiding that spans dozens of games. It didn't even start with wow. Who gave you the right to steal the name of a super well known system, change it into something else completely and still use the old name claiming it was the real thing?
whisper dkp but you have to have a good dkp tracking site where everyones dkp is readily visible and kept up to date.
Whichever system puts the loot in my bag.