Alchemy profession bonus

Professions
I preface this with many apologies in the case I've missed a topic regarding this. I'm curious if this was an intentional design and what the community's thoughts are on this.

Everyone profession has a unique perk. Alchemy's perk is Flask of Enhancement. From a perspective of a healer, this is meant to match the stat bonus Enchanter's get to rings. The difference is, Enchanter's can take advantage of a +300 stat flask, while still having their profession's +40 int to ring enchants. When Alchemists use a +300 stat flask it override's Flask of Enhancement . Alchemist's get the added benefit of their own trinket but equally strong trinkets are available to everyone as ring enchants are not.

Does everyone think this is how it should be? Does it not make sense to let Flask of Enhancement stack with a Flask of the Draconic Mind?
The Mixology profession perk makes all Flasks consumed by the alchmenist more powerful. Thus, Flask of Enhancement gives a greater benefit to alchemists than it does to enchanters.
Yes I was confused at first on my alchemist, the tool-tip for the flask does not reflect the mixology bonus, but it is added if you look t your stats before and after you flask up.
essentially the mixology bonus makes the 300 int flask 380 int. It also makes it last for 2 hours. That's prety dang sweet
The only problem with Flask of Enhancement is that it doesn't stack with elixirs. For example, my intellect bonus from JC doesn't prevent me from using a hit elixir (pretty handy for healers who need to CC in heroics). But the elixir is incompatible with my flask, or at least it was before the patch. I haven't tested it since the patch, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
02/18/2011 8:35 AMPosted by Bavra
essentially the mixology bonus makes the 300 int flask 380 int. It also makes it last for 2 hours. That's prety dang sweet

I missed the 380 bonus. I'm such a noob.

/facepalm
The only problem with Flask of Enhancement is that it doesn't stack with elixirs. For example, my intellect bonus from JC doesn't prevent me from using a hit elixir (pretty handy for healers who need to CC in heroics). But the elixir is incompatible with my flask, or at least it was before the patch. I haven't tested it since the patch, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

The Flask of enhancement still works like every other flask; it does not stack with elixirs. But mixology does (and always has) increase elixir bonuses. The difference is that the current +80 to a flask is split 50/50 between two elixirs: you get +40 to your stat battle elixir and an equivalent bonus to the guardian elixir (armor or resistance) (not sure of exact numbers). If you only use one elixir then you only get half the mixology benefit.
To clarify, the profession perk for alchemy is the mixology buff. It provides the equivalent of two extra top level gems worth of stats (currently 80 stats) when using a cataclysm flask. It will also provide one addtional gems worth of stats per elixir used.

The Flask of Enhancement however, is only intended to provide those 80 stats worth of profession perks in situations where you cannot get the mixology buff from a flask or elixir. Situations such as arena's and rated BGs where consumables are not allowed, though most alchemists will also use the FoE while questing or running dungeons. The mixology buff does NOT affect the flask though.
To clarify, the profession perk for alchemy is the mixology buff. It provides the equivalent of two extra top level gems worth of stats (currently 80 stats) when using a cataclysm flask. It will also provide one addtional gems worth of stats per elixir used.

The Flask of Enhancement however, is only intended to provide those 80 stats worth of profession perks in situations where you cannot get the mixology buff from a flask or elixir. Situations such as arena's and rated BGs where consumables are not allowed, though most alchemists will also use the FoE while questing or running dungeons. The mixology buff does NOT affect the flask though.

Yeah, my ignorance prevented me from realizing a +300 flask was hitting for +380.

Stupid ignorance. It always gets in the way.
I much prefer the alchemy buff anyway. Yay for double duration flasks (saves me more gold than most any other profession makes me)
This buff also stacks with guild perks. Some stuff to know about cauldrons:

-At guild level 10 you get Chug-a-lug which extends flask duration to 1.5 hours when taken from a cauldron of battle. This means that alchemists get a 3 hour flask.
-Elixir masters can proc extra cauldrons when crafting :-)
-Cauldrons require deathblood venom which is classified as a potion. Potion masters can proc extra.
-At guild level 22 you get Chug-a-lug level 2 which extends flask duration to 2 hours for non-alc and 4 hours for alchemists.
-Below guild level 20, Cauldrons of battle give you 7 flasks for the price of 4 and some deathblood venom. At guild level 20, they give you 10.

I <3 alchemy. Remember that the flask of enhancement is usable in arena. This is unique to Alchemists.