Shoukon's Back! Prot PvP Flag Carrier Guide

Warrior
Prev 1 4 5 6 25 Next
Something I'm wondering when I'm watching the videos (in particular, the first one since that's the only one I've seen) : why don't you strafe away from enemy melee as opposed to what you're doing -- that is, facing away from them?

In particular, at 1:50 in Mannoroth V fc edition 3 (the first video you link), you have what looks like 3 melee and a pet sitting on your bum.

You say to gem for mastery, yet the avoidance isn't utilized when you're going to and from the enemy base (that is, you can't block what's attacking you from behind).

Also, you say that a tactic involving Shield Bash is obsolete because of the loss of the Gag Order silence, I think? Since Pummel is part of Gag Order now (unless I missed patch notes regarding 4.2, or it doesn't work in PvP), isn't that still viable unless you wanted the Shield Bash daze?

I'm no pro in PvP, but just some thoughts.
Something I'm wondering when I'm watching the videos (in particular, the first one since that's the only one I've seen) : why don't you strafe away from enemy melee as opposed to what you're doing -- that is, facing away from them?

In particular, at 1:50 in Mannoroth V fc edition 3 (the first video you link), you have what looks like 3 melee and a pet sitting on your bum.

You say to gem for mastery, yet the avoidance isn't utilized when you're going to and from the enemy base (that is, you can't block what's attacking you from behind).

Also, you say that a tactic involving Shield Bash is obsolete because of the loss of the Gag Order silence, I think? Since Pummel is part of Gag Order now (unless I missed patch notes regarding 4.2, or it doesn't work in PvP), isn't that still viable unless you wanted the Shield Bash daze?

I'm no pro in PvP, but just some thoughts.

Yea at 1:50 on that video there's just no way to be facing them and getting to where I need to be. Then you're just really taking the beating without the debuff to get into the room. But as you can see at 1:57-2:06 I got myself out of that situation by intercept/intervene/heroic leap. I mean you're gonna get hit and from behind while running across field, but as a warrior you need to place ur heals and use the enemy placement to your advantage to stop taking damage as I did.

No the blanket silence with pummel doesn't work. It only silences when when you interrupt a spell, unlike shield bash that silenced no matter what at the moment. Hopefully pummel will be fixed.
bump.

edit- explain thunderstruck.

i would prefer 3/3 incite over 2/2/ thunderstruck and 1/2 imp victory. while crappy, the excess rage from blocking a melee moshpit allows spamming HS without wasting a GCD.

..or is cleave > HS? for flagging.

at least 2/2 imp victory and 1/2 thunderstruck?
bump for sticky.
bump.

edit- explain thunderstruck.

i would prefer 3/3 incite over 2/2/ thunderstruck and 1/2 imp victory. while crappy, the excess rage from blocking a melee moshpit allows spamming HS without wasting a GCD.

..or is cleave > HS? for flagging.

at least 2/2 imp victory and 1/2 thunderstruck?

Why Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck is specifically for FCing. I like to make sure all the rogues/ferals etc (those who go invisible to reopen hard on you) are always rended so I can bleed them out of stealth for the most part.

When to use Incite

If I could have 3 specs, I'm limited to one arms for when I need to dps RBG's and my 1 prot spec for FC, my third spec which would be a dps prot spec that would trade 2/2 thunderstruck and 1/2 Impending Victory for 3/3 Incite. But honestly even when I'm dpsing in gilnaeus/ab as prot I'm still using cleave because I'm the flag watcher and using Thunder clap on CD so rend is always being spread. Incite is really for random bg, to push out the damage, or if you're doing arena with a prot spec.
This post has helped me out so much, its extremely informal and answered all my questions. thanks!
New Prot PvP FC Video posted. #1 Newest
06/05/2011 04:34 PMPosted by Xerxezs
prot pvp really sucks, u get blown up by dps who have close to the same health as u but blow u up, and the worst thing is that u cant do anything a bout it, u cant kill them, you should have stated this is for people who stack stamina with 3pocket healers. etc. and yes with pvp gear

As prot, your job isn't to pwn newbs, it's to stay alive and protect your healers. Leave the killing to your teammates. That's why they're there.
06/22/2011 07:28 AMPosted by Jaime
prot pvp really sucks, u get blown up by dps who have close to the same health as u but blow u up, and the worst thing is that u cant do anything a bout it, u cant kill them, you should have stated this is for people who stack stamina with 3pocket healers. etc. and yes with pvp gear

As prot, your job isn't to pwn newbs, it's to stay alive and protect your healers. Leave the killing to your teammates. That's why they're there.

Jamie, they key here was that he has a prot that has the same hp as a dps, hence explaining a huge gap in gear. If he was a dps spec he'd prob be 11k less hp. And as a prot you can kill dps, just need to learn how to play the spec. It's not just to dps it out, it's about countering what the other class is going to do. Fight a rogue that's your gear lvl and learn to beat that consistently, then a mage at your gear lvl. Learn the 1v1's and then you can start doing 2v1 3v1.
Found this thread on page 5 of the warrior forum. A travesty! Bumping it back to the first page so I can find it and bookmark it when I get home.

I have requested a sticky on both this Guide and the Arms PVP guide. Is Blizzard ignoring sticky requests from the warrior forums now?

Here is a link if you want to check out the Arms PVP guide (for the other BG maps):
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2592648205?page=1
What about Mending instead of Windwalk?
Nice to see some support for the Prot PvP community...
I disagree with your opinion on the value of our mastery in a PvP setting. I have been reforging my PvP gear from mastery to crit when possible, and couldn't be happier with the results. It helps to bring some extra pain, and keep you from being lol'd at as much by your opponent.

Just my 2 coppers
Keep shield slamming faces
Also, good luck getting a sticky for any post with the words Prot and PvP contained therein. We generally not liked, especially by blizz.
Oh Crap Button (All your heals): Use this when healers die or are all in CC and you are getting blown to hell.#showtooltip enraged regeneration/cast last stand/cast bloodthirsty gladiator's emblem of Tenacity/cast berserker rage/cast enraged regeneration

This macro. I have to click this macro twice to get enrage regeneration to work. Do you not have this problem. I guess it isn't a big deal, but it isn't a 1 click macro unless your already enraged. And if your already enraged, wasting a berserker rage, that could be used to get out of a fear, I think is a bad idea. If you haven't experienced this problem, please tell me, it's possible I did something wrong, although it isn't a complicated macro.

Thanks.
Great thread, very informative.

Requested sticky.
07/05/2011 08:47 AMPosted by Evelknee
Oh Crap Button (All your heals): Use this when healers die or are all in CC and you are getting blown to hell.#showtooltip enraged regeneration/cast last stand/cast bloodthirsty gladiator's emblem of Tenacity/cast berserker rage/cast enraged regeneration

This macro. I have to click this macro twice to get enrage regeneration to work. Do you not have this problem. I guess it isn't a big deal, but it isn't a 1 click macro unless your already enraged. And if your already enraged, wasting a berserker rage, that could be used to get out of a fear, I think is a bad idea. If you haven't experienced this problem, please tell me, it's possible I did something wrong, although it isn't a complicated macro.

Thanks.

No you have to spam the button a few times to get everything to pop. And no really save ur BR for this heal or emergency anti-fears/saps etc.
Whenever you have a macro that is /cast x /cast x that means it has to be pushed multiple times to get down the sequence.

Hope that answers your question.
Nice to see some support for the Prot PvP community...
I disagree with your opinion on the value of our mastery in a PvP setting. I have been reforging my PvP gear from mastery to crit when possible, and couldn't be happier with the results. It helps to bring some extra pain, and keep you from being lol'd at as much by your opponent.

Just my 2 coppers
Keep shield slamming faces

Mastery just because of +block +crit block chance as a FC, since you're trying to live. Crit if you're going for a dps type prot like if you're humping a flag in gilnaeus or AB. But really for a dps Prot gear just use your Arms gear and that will already have crit.
07/05/2011 07:46 AMPosted by Kadrius
What about Mending instead of Windwalk?

Mending was really weak on its procs and it healed about 800-900 a tick when it did tick. It's not bad, but I just went with the Dodge. If you have the gold go Windwalk, if you don't go with Mending. It won't make or break you honestly.
07/05/2011 08:31 AMPosted by Murderthumb
Also, good luck getting a sticky for any post with the words Prot and PvP contained therein. We generally not liked, especially by blizz.

Yea, I know and it doesn't make sense. They make all these bg's that have flags that need to be carried or guarded or with a NPC that has to be tanked at the end, (AV, IOC, AB, Gil, WSG, TP, EOTS), and then they deny prot is for PvP. Don't even know what to say to those facts.