WoW - The Spider Kingdom (expansion concept)

General Discussion
Inspired by Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, other fan expansion ideas, and one crazy race of arachnoid horrors, I have developed what I'm calling the:

World of Warcraft: The Spider Kingdom

fan expansion concept.

Title screen: http://goldenyak.com/images/fanart/spiderkingdom_goldenyak.jpg

This thread's original incarnation is on the MMO-Champion forums where many images are linked, so people can check out the OP to see the art I've done so far. Feel free to comment there if you wish:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/814949-Spider-Kingdom-fan-expansion-concept

So what is it?

This is a collection of various ideas I've come up with for an expansion themed around venturing down into Azeroth's underworld, into the Spider Kingdom of Azjol-Nerub in Northrend, and maybe some other places...

I used WoWpedia's fan fiction section to set up pages related to the dungeon, storyline, and zone ideas I've come up with, and I'll be organizing them together into what will hopefully become a self-contained fan expansion wiki page.

The concept is in two parts -

* The first centers around the reshaping of Northrend due to the Cataclysm and the death of the previous Lich King, Arthas.

* The second part will involve exploring the depths of Azeroth's underworld, the Spider Kingdom of Azjol-Nerub, and beyond. This will include zone, dungeon, and raid maps drawn by yours truly, as well as copius amounts of writing.

It started out as a raid idea, grew into a zone, and has since blossomed out of control into what it is now, which is still growing (Old Gods help me).

There's a lot of talky, so I'll be trying to break it up over time with some artwork - maps, characters, monsters, and so forth.

Basic Information
* The Spider Kingdom Revealed: New content zones have been added - The Upper Kingdom, the Shadow Web Caverns, and Ahn'Saron - the Inner Kingdom. These zones are accessed through the Pit of Narjun in Dragonblight. A fourth zone, the Wound of the World, acts as the center of the Spider Kingdom and a natural barrier separating the leveling zones, but contains no leveling content.
* New zone content is level 90+.
* Level cap is set at 93. Advancing from one level to the next will involve more than simply acquiring a certain amount of experience points.
* The Cataclysm has rent Northrend asunder, altering many of it's regions. The fall of Arthas and the rise of a new Lich King has also brought about a drastic change in the balance of power all across the continent. The Northrend content remains a 70-80 leveling experience.
* New dungeons and raid instances have been discovered throughout the new Spider Kingdom zones, as well as the newly reshaped Northrend zones.
* New battlegrounds and new arenas are available.

Wowpedia Links

The Main Wowpedia page:
http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/Spider_Kingdom_Expansion_Concept

New Spider Kingdom Zones
http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/Spider_Kingdom_Expansion_Concept#New_Zones

New Dungeons
http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/Spider_Kingdom_Expansion_Concept#Dungeons_and_Raids

Here are some links to the Northrend zones
http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/Spider_Kingdom_Expansion_Concept#Northrend_Zones_affected_by_the_Cataclysm

The new Bad Guys of the Northrend content - The Twilight's Hammer Cult and the Scourge Remnants:
http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/Twilight%27s_Hammer_of_Northrend
http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/The_Scourge_Remnants

Also of interest may be the Spider Kingdom Bestiary:
http://www.wowpedia.org/User:GoldenYak/Spider_Kingdom_Bestiary
I actually think it's a pretty good idea... well thought out. I don't think they plan on revisiting WotLK content until they revisit BC content, so we'll have to see how Blizz works up that first expansion before the one posted here.
02/17/2011 1:04 AMPosted by Gobberz
I actually think it's a pretty good idea... well thought out. I don't think they plan on revisiting WotLK content until they revisit BC content, so we'll have to see how Blizz works up that first expansion before the one posted here.

Well, this can happen anytime after Cataclysm, but it doesn't have to happen right after. I haven't bothered to work out stuff like level caps so it's pretty open for that.
02/17/2011 1:39 AMPosted by Goldenyak

Well, this can happen anytime after Cataclysm, but it doesn't have to happen right after. I haven't bothered to work out stuff like level caps so it's pretty open for that.

One of the things i want to see is more going on with the Qiraji as well, they got 1 zone, 2 raids, but that's it? They might do more with Cata, they might do more with this expansion on this thread, dunno. I'll see how it plays out.
I opened your Title Screen image and when it wasn't incredibly bad MS Paint I stopped reading.
As much as I love Warcraft if they do a spider based expansion I just don't think could do it. I get the creeps when I see the spiders in the Deadmines nightmare. They'd have to make these spiders pretty dang awesome for me to look over the fact that their spiders :( Good idea though!
Not enough like for nerubians.

02/17/2011 2:00 AMPosted by Beccamonster
As much as I love Warcraft if they do a spider based expansion I just don't think could do it. I get the creeps when I see the spiders in the Deadmines nightmare. They'd have to make these spiders pretty dang awesome for me to look over the fact that their spiders :( Good idea though!

What about jumping spiders? I'd love to have a giant jumping spider mount, or pet. :D
Didn't someone post like a few days ago they were arachnaphobic. This is gonna scare the living daylights out of them.

EDIT: Don't make this into an expansion Blizzard, make this into a patch!
02/17/2011 2:14 AMPosted by Redlegs
Considering all those arachnaphobia threads I've seen I doubt it. That and it's a very contrived thing to base an expansion on

I don't think it's contrived at all. I mean, there are loads of opportunities for lore and stuff in the depths of Azeroth, the Nerubians are only the start (as the OP has shown w/the Faceless ones and Tendrils and junk). There's the underground kingdoms of the Aqir, more Titan Vaults, expansion of AQ, Uldum, CoT involving the Troll Vs Aqir Wars, etc.

I really like the beginnings of this idea, and the updating of Northrend. The raid ideas sound pretty interesting, and the Malevolence is intriguing, to say the least. It'd be awesome if it was coming from Under-Karazhan, since it's like a massive intersection of leylines and all. Your idea has a lot of potential, and I really like it. :3 I agree with some of the others on MMO-Champion, though, The Spider Kingdom seems a bit lackluster. But that's a minor thing, heh.
02/17/2011 1:44 AMPosted by Gobberz
One of the things i want to see is more going on with the Qiraji as well, they got 1 zone, 2 raids, but that's it? They might do more with Cata, they might do more with this expansion on this thread, dunno. I'll see how it plays out.

I'm hoping to include the qiraji in the fun somehow. I've always been interested in their relation to the nerubians through their mutual ancestors, the aqir.

02/17/2011 1:45 AMPosted by Faris
I opened your Title Screen image and when it wasn't incredibly bad MS Paint I stopped reading.

O... okay.

02/17/2011 2:10 AMPosted by Anneth
What about jumping spiders? I'd love to have a giant jumping spider mount, or pet. :D

Yeah, spider mounts are the new bear mounts.

Also, flying mount:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Nerubian_flyer

Didn't someone post like a few days ago they were arachnaphobic. This is gonna scare the living daylights out of them.

EDIT: Don't make this into an expansion Blizzard, make this into a patch!

You'd think arachnophobic people would welcome the chance to slaughter lots of spiders. It's cathartic, people!

And I still hold out hope that Azjol-Nerub will be patched in. I thought it would work great as a three-region zone like Vashjir. That's the idea that gave rise to the three zones Upper Kingdom, Shadow Web Caverns, and Inner Kingdom. I was disappointed when Azjol-Nerub wasn't completed for Wrath, and I hope Blizzard will include it somehow - I think Deepholm proved that you can make an awesome looking and playable underground zone.

There's the underground kingdoms of the Aqir, more Titan Vaults, expansion of AQ, Uldum, CoT involving the Troll Vs Aqir Wars, etc.

All true, although I was thinking of going back a bit furthur than that...

The raid ideas sound pretty interesting, and the Malevolence is intriguing, to say the least. It'd be awesome if it was coming from Under-Karazhan, since it's like a massive intersection of leylines and all.

!?! Get out of my head!

Your idea has a lot of potential, and I really like it. :3 I agree with some of the others on MMO-Champion, though, The Spider Kingdom seems a bit lackluster. But that's a minor thing, heh.

Hmm, still no love for the Spider Kingdom. I'll have to think of something else, I guess.

Thanks for the comments.
Why is it always spiders? :)
I think we're done with the Azjol'Nerub storyline. We've defeated Anub'Arak, the traitor king. We've driven the old god presence from Northrend, and defeated Arthas. I'm confident when I say we are done with the spider-men.
Wasn't there a thread a day or two ago about someone's horrible arachnophobia?
Their reaction if this became a reality would be priceless.
Me thinks the next expansion will involve the following:

1. A Third Faction combining several alien races arriving from a destroyed home-world.
2. Outlands being reworked as being invaded by the 3rd faction.
3. Level cap goes to 90.
4. 3rd Faction will bring with them many new technologies which can be usurped by both the Horde and Alliance.

You can expect this model. Trust me. I accurately predicted the Naga part for Cata to a "T," and my post on it long before Cata was released quickly went ... "missing."

lol