How Did Harpies Become Harpies?

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Dear World's End Tavern,

I am Soria Darkwhisper, Subtelty Rogue of Silvermoon. I have been waiting for my chance to strike at the harpies for killing my beloved one but first I must know their weaknesses. I have made a recent discovery that the harpies, like Naga, Highborne, Satyrs, and High Elves, are decended from the famous Night Elves. I still have yet to ask, how did they yet become harpies?

With best wishes,

Soria Darkwhisper
I think they are just another species. Kind of like trolls (d)evolving into night elves, and then some staying the same.

It IS strange that they are only female, but I heard stuff that they took males from other species captive and then....

Bow chicka bow wow.
I'm pretty sure most would find it unpleasurable seeing how harpies don't have the decensy to shave... their armpits. cwutididthur?
02/22/2011 4:03 PMPosted by Kemiry
I'm pretty sure most would find it unpleasurable seeing how harpies don't have the decensy to shave... their armpits. cwutididthur?

Actually, there's a goblin NPC that sends you to kill a bunch of harpies in Durotar.

I believe that if you right-click him without selecting any quests (you may have to be a male character for this to happen), he says 'Ignore the harpy's firm, feathery behinds. They're actually quite deadly.'

Seems that men will think ANYTHING is sexy.
They were cursed for betraying Queen Azshara.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Harpies
They were cursed for betraying Queen Azshara.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Harpies

Given that Avianna herself manifests as a Harpy I'm not so sure if that's the complete truth. the Night Elves invited colonies of them to live in Teldrassil, it could very well be that recent events have made them more feral than usual.
What is this? Do I spy Drahliana without her signature dragon helmet? Heh.

Anyway, I was actually just wondering about this myself. Stonetalon Mountains is supposed to be the harpies' "home," I think, and with the Cataclysm we know there was a Highborne settlement there that might've been Xavius' home. Perhaps the males of that place were turned into satyr and the females were turned into harpies? The only thing is that harpies aren't demonic in nature. Maybe the same thing happened to them that happened with the Highborne that would become the naga.

Maybe they were transformed by something other than the Burning Legion...
02/23/2011 10:44 AMPosted by Drahliana
Given that Avianna herself manifests as a Harpy I'm not so sure if that's the complete truth. the Night Elves invited colonies of them to live in Teldrassil, it could very well be that recent events have made them more feral than usual.

Seeing as you are sent on a quest by the Night Elves to kill them, I get the feeling they weren't 'invited.'
02/23/2011 11:30 AMPosted by Istella
Seeing as you are sent on a quest by the Night Elves to kill them, I get the feeling they weren't 'invited.'

The harpys were openly invited to hold territory on both world trees, the Shrine of Avianna and the Oracle's Glade. They WERE seen as friendly or at least neutral by the night elves, just like the furbolg.

But as the corruption seeped into Teldrassil, they became more aggressive, and I think they got sent into a rage by the burning of Hyjal.

So they have more feral minds, but are seen as at least neutral.
While I don't know very much about how they came to be, according to wowwiki, in order to mate they snag a male member of another race and mate with him. After that the man is usually used as food.
02/23/2011 1:25 PMPosted by Phozzybear

The harpys were openly invited to hold territory on both world trees, the Shrine of Avianna and the Oracle's Glade. They WERE seen as friendly or at least neutral by the night elves, just like the furbolg.

But as the corruption seeped into Teldrassil, they became more aggressive, and I think they got sent into a rage by the burning of Hyjal.

So they have more feral minds, but are seen as at least neutral.

Was that from one of the books? I don't remember coming across any of that in in-game text.
Well, when two people love each other very much...
02/23/2011 4:21 PMPosted by Istella
Was that from one of the books? I don't remember coming across any of that in in-game text.

Avianna manifests as a harpy.

And I think Thisalee Crow tells you that they tolerated the harpy's presence, but when thay started being more violent, the elves were forced to retaliate.

Hence, she orders you to brutally slaughter them instead of trying to work out peace.
Yeah, I did those quests, and I honestly wondered why Avianna chose that form. Especially when it's the harpies who sell her out to the twilight dragons. Maybe that form is just a placeholder until Blizzard gets around to creating her own unique one? Still don't remember any quest text about them being 'invited' or even welcome. You yourself just referred to it as tolerating their presence, which I would consider a different thing entirely.
Yeah, I did those quests, and I honestly wondered why Aviana chose that form. Especially when it's the harpies who sell her out to the twilight dragons. Maybe that form is just a placeholder until Blizzard gets around to creating her own unique one? Still don't remember any quest text about them being 'invited' or even welcome. You yourself just referred to it as tolerating their presence, which I would consider a different thing entirely.

Yes, they tolerate them.

Such as being neutral. They are neutral and friendly to many feral beasts, but the harpies tended to be more aggressive, and warranted neutrality instead of friendship.

But the harpies are feral beasts, and were enraged just like the furbolgs were in Teldrassil, causing them to become violent.

In Hyjal, I THINK it was the burning that drove them insane, and caused them to attack.
Okay, I know you are just giving the benefit of the doubt, but really, why? Maybe the attack on Hyjal did set them off. But if that is the case, then why are they attacking the people trying to defend it and aiding the ones doing the burning? And which zone is it that the harpies do act friendly, or even neutral?

The wowpedia description fits the behavior of every harpy found in WoW (I don’t consider Avianna an actual harpy since she is an Ancient, and as I said before, that could just be a place holder.) The only thing that the article describes that can’t be seen first-hand in the game is the kidnapping of men for mating, and they specifically say that is a rumor.

I really don’t understand why people are so quick to defend them, when I have yet to see a single redeeming member of their species.
02/23/2011 7:49 PMPosted by Istella
I really don’t understand why people are so quick to defend them, when I have yet to see a single redeeming member of their species.

Well, I believe there must be one difference between the two of us in this discussion.

I am a man......

02/22/2011 4:05 PMPosted by Phozzybear

02/22/2011 4:05 PMPosted by Phozzybear
firm, feathery behinds

Interesting...
Well, I believe there must be one difference between the two of us in this discussion.
I am a man......

firm, feathery behinds

Interesting...

Hey, whatever floats your boat. If you are into feathers and being eaten by your offsrping after they hatch, I ain't gonna judge. :P
I am a man......

Interesting...

Hey, whatever floats your boat. If you are into feathers and being eaten by your offsrping after they hatch, I ain't gonna judge. :P

Rule 34.
What is this? Do I spy Drahliana without her signature dragon helmet? Heh.

I miss my Dragon helmet. It was a consistent look I kept through all three expansions with the right drops. I still have it in my inventory and I keep it for rp gear, along with my self-crafted Black Dragonscale set... best looking Hunter armor ever. (As you might guess I will NEVER show that stupid Murloc helmet assuming I don't decide to get something else)