UI, the Rogue's Silent Partner

Rogue
Prev 1 3 4 5 20 Next
Valentyn
85 Human Rogue
Archetype
This is it at rest...

http://i53.tinypic.com/33oifkm.jpg

What do you use for your action bars and unit frames? That's very clean, I like it :)
Valentyn
85 Human Rogue
Archetype
This is it at rest...

http://i53.tinypic.com/33oifkm.jpg

What do you use for your action bars and unit frames? That's very clean, I like it :)

Not my UI so I can't say for certain, but the action bars look like Bartender + KG Panels, and the unit frames maybe pitbull or shadoweduf.

Edit: Probably a good note, to include what add-ons you use, for people wondering how you achieved those ingenious setups and I'll track what's being used most/least popular & most underrated.
Bump
Sticky dis **#*

wtb sticky
http://img715.imageshack.us/f/wowaltasirui.jpg/

I <3 my UI
Your UI nice, but you got some DRAMA in the gchat going on there

Anyways, my UI:

http://oi51.tinypic.com/2bd35u.jpg%22

Can anyone tell me what Snezy uses for the tracking of rupture/Evenom/SnD in this picture? I've seen so many UI's with it and I want it! But haven't had anyone tell me the name of the ad don. Would be really helpful!
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4639/wowscrnshot022711192820.jpg

:o

Can anyone tell me what Snezy uses for the tracking of rupture/Evenom/SnD in this picture? I've seen so many UI's with it and I want it! But haven't had anyone tell me the name of the ad don. Would be really helpful!

I want to say Needtoknow

If I were to guess, I'd say the same.
Heres mine

http://i53.tinypic.com/14j9o1v.jpg

Anyways, my UI:

pretty sure thats rogue power bars
Out-of-Combat: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Str1der/WoWScrnShot_022711_215129.jpg

In Combat: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Str1der/WoWScrnShot_022711_215200.jpg

Addons used:
Spartan UI
Bagnon
Bartender
Atlasloot Enhance
Afflicted
Gladius
DBM
Doom Cooldown Pulse
Omen
Rogue Power Bars

Anyways, my UI:

Looks like mine, and I use Rogue Power Bars.
a lot of UIs that I see these days are very "heavy" so to speak.

I speak almost from a completely strict pvp standpoint. large chat, actions bars and the like are almost unnecessary.

anyone who has recount open as part of their UI is a failure in my eyes. you do not need to see that, it only distracts your attention. there are no exceptions. all of that data can be seen AFTER the fight with a simple /recount show

some things do not need to be tracked and are being tracked. for example assassination rogues do not need to track their deadly poison on the target. the objective of tracking a stat to 5 can be done with a simple aura from power auras to display and icon when you are NOT at 5 stacks. it is information that does not need to be constantly tracked.

i guess im too lazy to explain all of it. maybe I should make a tutorial for cata.... hmm

edit: and of course there will always be exceptions to all of the rules depending on what the desired result is. pretty important part I missed in there

i dont think this is true. Showing recount makes me more competitive thus to try harder if my DPS is not enough.
02/23/2011 9:49 PMPosted by Akaniku
anyone who has recount open as part of their UI is a failure in my eyes. you do not need to see that, it only distracts your attention. there are no exceptions. all of that data can be seen AFTER the fight with a simple /recount show

I find my placement of recount, in the bottom left corner, completely unnoticed until some PuG in a daily random calls for a link. There ARE times to watch your recount, especially when doing certain encounter achievements where DPS needs to be at a certain level, or during a burn phase.

t. the objective of tracking a stat to 5 can be done with a simple aura from power auras to display and icon when you are NOT at 5 stacks. it is information that does not need to be constantly tracked.

I personally feel this is a personal preference thing, not an absolute rule. Certain abilities DO need to be tracked, or for my playstyle I prefer to track the buff, rather than wonder how long I have on a DoT/Rupture timer so I can pool CPs and time GCDs to maximize DI.

edit: and of course there will always be exceptions to all of the rules depending on what the desired result is. pretty important part I missed in there

And this is the best thing you can say! :D Unless we're going to discuss the PvP or DPS improvement merits of designing a UI, this is purely aesthetic, which is also cool.

However, the golden rule of UI building applies: Make it work FOR YOU. I don't care if it's the most cluttered, unsophisticated, mess of windows and bars and indicators ... if you perform better with it, it works.

Was kinda curious about this sort of stuff including keybinding and what not. Was wondering if I could get any tips? Maybe something easy to start with or whatever.

Been managing with only DBM and gatherer (until i get a general idea of where herb spawns are then I turn it off). But I always felt it could be that much more useful if i keybinded/had a more helpful ui and such.
Was kinda curious about this sort of stuff including keybinding and what not. Was wondering if I could get any tips? Maybe something easy to start with or whatever.

Been managing with only DBM and gatherer (until i get a general idea of where herb spawns are then I turn it off). But I always felt it could be that much more useful if i keybinded/had a more helpful ui and such.

Finding the UI that's right for you is a constantly evolving process and takes a lot of experimentation. My UI today isn't the same UI I raided with in Wrath. It isn't even the same UI I started Cataclysm with. Some configurations work better for some than others, try things out, give it more than just a few minutes on a training dummy, it takes a bit for your eye to naturally go to the relevant information right away, but if it isn't becoming more comfortable to you after a dungeon or two and playing with the settings isn't helping make it better, it's probably not going to work and you should try something different.

Some key elements of a custom UI to look at though:

HoT/DoT/Buff/DeBuff Timers - Rogue Power Bars, Class Timers, NeedtoKnow, and EventHorizon are all examples of add-ons specifically focused on tracking your abilities as they roll and let you monitor if you have/haven't gotten an important Buff/DeBuff running and when things are going to run out and need to be re-applied. Especially as a rogue when you're juggling Ruptures, Envenom Buffs, SnD, Recup, Poisons, and a plethora of CDs, while all this information is generally present in the default UI, it's either spread out or not immediately accessible to the point of making your life that much harder. The goal of these mods is to condense all those straggling pieces of information into one easy to follow element.

Unit Frames/HUD - Pitbull and Shadoweduf are two frame mods I've had experience with, my current preference is using a heads-up display, in this case, IceHUD. These mods let you add to/strip down from the basic Blizzard unit frames giving you what you want when you want it and where you want it.

Bar Mods - Add-ons like Bartender 4 or if you're just starting out and not quite ready to go full on custom, SpartanUI (which uses bartender IIRC) allow you more customization as to how many, how big, and how your bars behave. For instance with Bartender I have 2 bars for combat abilities, one for CDs, and one which hides itself on combat for professions, mounts, etc. Spartan while easy to use right out of the box is less customizable and I find more clunky than the name would imply, that being said it can be a good baby step into custom bars and give you an idea of what you're eventually going to want to do yourself.

Then you have your add-on miscellanea, your DPS meters (please use responsibly), your threat meters, raid warnings, CD trackers, add-ons that will give you some measure as to your performance or alert you of dangerous game states (about to rip threat from the tank, big AoEs to get out of, etc) and those that alert you when important CDs finish so that you can focus on your job and allow better situational awareness without you having to constantly micro-manage CD timers and other things.

MoveAnything, does exactly what it's name implies and gives you full control over the placement of all your UI elements, frames, dialog boxes, tooltips, you name it, this moves it.

Then you have the big daddy of them all, Power Auras, it's a very powerful add-on that will track/alert you to just about anything you can think of, so long as you program it right, or find a handy script to import.

The Curse Client is really going to make your life easier when finding new add-ons and keeping those you already have up-to-date:

http://www.curse.com/client/
For keybindings, macros are your friend. They allow you to condense many abilities into fewer buttons which frees up space on your UI and means you have to do less keyboard acrobatics trying to reach those out of the way keys to get to all your abilities.

I combine like abilities into the same key. For instance "1" is Mutilate, "shift+1" Backstab, putting both my CP builders for above/below 35% on the same key. Likewise Envenom/Rupture for "2"

For all your primary attacks always macro "/startattack" into them. Using this, you will start your autoattacks even if you don't have the energy to use the ability yet.

Ex.

#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Mutilate

add in the shift modifier I mentioned earlier gives you:

#showtooltip [mod:shift] Backstab; Mutilate
/startattack
/cast [mod:shift] Backstab; Mutilate

A really easy way to manage Tricks of the Trade is:

#showtooltip
/cast [@focus, help, nodead] Tricks of the Trade; [@targettarget, help, nodead] Tricks of the Trade; Tricks of the Trade

All this requires is that you focus your Tricks target at the start of a dungeon/raid. When you use it it will check your focus target, if it is a friendly unit and alive it will cast Tricks on them, if any of those conditions aren't met it will move on to your target's target (which should be the tank usually) and again checks for friendly and alive, if it fails those conditions again, it casts Tricks all by itself and lets you pick your target. You could add other modifiers, or mouseovers but that will serve you 99.9% of the time.

Keybinds, like UIs in general aren't about what's "best" it's what's best for you. Learning some handy macros will help, but the main idea is to ensure your abilities are easy to access when you need them. You don't want Kick bound half way across your keyboard and let a cast get through while you're trying to get to the keybind, not to mention taking your hands away from all your other binds.

Keep it concise, keep your most used abilities as close as possible to where your hand is going to be the majority of the time, the faster you can get to a key the faster you can use that key to react to the situations you need it for, and make sure it's comfortable, the more stretching and unnatural positioning you force your hand into, the quicker you'll fatigue yourself and the slower your reactions are going to be as you lose dexterity.