Potion of treasure finding

Bug Report
A buddy and I have been farming some troggs in deepholm and i recently tried the treasure potion and got 20 or so chests from farming a specific number of trogs for the hour that its active, So my buddy decided to use the potion at the same time i did and we each got about 10 for the same hour from the same amount of trash mobs.
It appears that the drop chance is not per individual. This seems quite odd since we are each paying nearly 200 gold per potion. Should we not each get our own drop chances?

We have tried this a few times over the past week making sure to keep the mob amounts we kill close to the same and alternately trying a single potion and then 2 potions and the numbers stay very close to the same for number of tiny chests dropped during the hour.
So, as you might well imagine we are feeling a bit jipped in that the drops are not based on the individual. I imagine that there are players using the potion who may have been in groups where other players were also running the potion unknown to them and are wondering why suddenly their drop rates are cut in half or worse depending on how many have the potion on.

Is this mechanic intentional? if so people should be told about it so they don't waste money or at least know to check with others prior to putting it on. If it was not intentional then pls pls pls see if it can be fixed.

Thx for your time
Lets say you solo and kill 200 mobs, and get 20 chests (pulling numbers from thin air here).

You group up, default Group Loot looting rules, you kill 200 more mobs, each of you should get 10 chests each, because you're only looting 100 mobs each.

No bug here.
As with all loot, whomever "owns" the corpse gets all the trash (gray and white) drops. If it's not your corpse, you don't get anything. The only exception to this is certain Quest Items.
Steelfistv;
"Lets say you solo and kill 200 mobs, and get 20 chests (pulling numbers from thin air here).
You group up, default Group Loot looting rules, you kill 200 more mobs, each of you should get 10 chests each, because you're only looting 100 mobs each.
No bug here. "

Here is the rub.... suppose you group up with 20 ppl and we kill ten times the amount that me and my buddy did and im the only one using the potion..... regardless of group loot settings I would get a ton of chests and no one else would.

or on the other hand suppose all 20 used the potion.... we would each get a couple chests for the nearly 200 gold we each spent on the potion..... is this right?

Here is another way of looking at this;
when i buy a potion of anything else, is it's effect determined by how many ppl i'm grouped with?
Suppose I buy a Mythical healing potion... it heals 'ME' for 25,200 health.... so if i group with you should we both get healed by 12,600 when 'I' use that potion? would you feel it works right this way?
I know of no other potions that share the reward of its use between grouped players, do you?
So, this appears to me to be a bug.
Khevyn;
"As with all loot, whomever "owns" the corpse gets all the trash (gray and white) drops. If it's not your corpse, you don't get anything. The only exception to this is certain Quest Items. "

Absolutely not true.

I farm cloth with my buddy.... he's a tailor and i'm not, he goes behind me to pickup cloth loot off a body that was mine to loot first. He actually has to wait till i pickup all that are mine so he can go behind me and get whats left over.
Therefore, not all loot on a body is yours.
Absolutely not true.

I farm cloth with my buddy.... he's a tailor and i'm not, he goes behind me to pickup cloth loot off a body that was mine to loot first. He actually has to wait till i pickup all that are mine so he can go behind me and get whats left over.
Therefore, not all loot on a body is yours.

That is because anyone who isn't a tailor doesn't see the "bonus" cloth there, and once they've looted a corpse, any loot left behind is FFA by any who can see it.

If your friend left the chest on the corpse, you can see it and loot it. It's the same thing. Identical to if you use the potion and your friend doesn't. If he doesn't see the chest but you are capable of seeing it, you will be able to loot it after he's checked the corpse.

It is no different than if your buddy checked the corpse but didn't loot the Toughened Flesh from it. It then becomes FFA to anyone else who is eligible.
Just to clarify my position about this, here is the tool tip on the potion;

"Potion of Treasure Finding
Use: Allows you to sometimes find extra treasure from monsters in Mount Hyjal, Vash'jir, Deepholm, Twilight Highlands and Uldum. Lasts 1 hour. Effect persists through death. "

Notice the specific wording "Allows YOU to sometimes find extra treasure". There is nothing saying it allows you and anyone else that is using the potion at the same time to sometimes find extra treasure.
So if 'MY' chance to "sometimes find extra treasure" is tied into anyone else chance to "find extra treasure" using the potion at the same time it should say so in the tip.

"Khevyn;
That is because anyone who isn't a tailor doesn't see the "bonus" cloth there, and once they've looted a corpse, any loot left behind is FFA by any who can see it."

If he doesnt pick it up it is not FFA allowing me to pick it up. thus you are wrong.

"Khevyn;
If your friend left the chest on the corpse, you can see it and loot it. It's the same thing. Identical to if you use the potion and your friend doesn't. If he doesn't see the chest but you are capable of seeing it, you will be able to loot it after he's checked the corpse."

Also wrong. If no one else is running the potion and i don't pick it up then no one can pick it up. there is no FFA involved.
Just to clarify my position about this, here is the tool tip on the potion;

"Potion of Treasure Finding
Use: Allows you to sometimes find extra treasure from monsters in Mount Hyjal, Vash'jir, Deepholm, Twilight Highlands and Uldum. Lasts 1 hour. Effect persists through death. "

Notice the specific wording "Allows YOU to sometimes find extra treasure". There is nothing saying it allows you and anyone else that is using the potion at the same time to sometimes find extra treasure.
So if 'MY' chance to "sometimes find extra treasure" is tied into anyone else chance to "find extra treasure" using the potion at the same time it should say so in the tip.

Really? You're grasping now.

The tooltip isn't wrong either. Sometimes you will find extra treasure. Yes, YOU. YOU will sometimes find extra treasure. Sure you won't find as much if someone else uses it, but YOU still will find treasure. Is it wrong?

As another example, take Northern Cloth Scavenging. It's doing the same thing as your potion.
You sometimes find additional cloth from Northrend humanoids.

If another tailor is in the group, if it's their turn to loot the corpse, they'll see bonus cloth. If they loot it, you won't see it. If they leave it there, you will see it.
Let me bold the parts you didn't read.

"Khevyn;
That is because anyone who isn't a tailor doesn't see the "bonus" cloth there, and once they've looted a corpse, any loot left behind is FFA by any who can see it."

If he doesnt pick it up it is not FFA allowing me to pick it up. thus you are wrong.

"Khevyn;
If your friend left the chest on the corpse, you can see it and loot it. It's the same thing. Identical to if you use the potion and your friend doesn't. If he doesn't see the chest but you are capable of seeing it, you will be able to loot it after he's checked the corpse."

Also wrong. If no one else is running the potion and i don't pick it up then no one can pick it up. there is no FFA involved.

They are lootable by any who are capable of seeing the drop.
Khevyn.....

when i buy a potion of anything else, is it's effect determined by how many ppl i'm grouped with?
Suppose I buy a Mythical healing potion... it heals 'ME' for 25,200 health.... so if i group with you should we both get healed by 12,600 when 'I' use that potion? would you feel it works right this way?
I know of no other potions that share the reward of its use between grouped players, do you?

Also direct from "http://www.wowwiki.com/Potion"
"A potion is an item that a character can drink that will apply an effect to the imbiber."

Thus a potion is intended as a specific benefit provided to the specific imbiber, not a shared effect with others when grouped