Patch 4.1/4.2 Content

General Discussion
Prev 1 28 29 30 Next
People who say "You're not 12/12" yet seem to be glossing over the fact that the PTR will be up for a month, minimum, and probably longer. The firelands PTR is likely to be at least 2 more months. At that point, there'll be a lot more "12/12" out there.
does anyone know when the PTR is supposed to be back up?
what about that empty area below silithus? its just a barren ahn'quiraj raid area.
Woot, at this pace I might be able to complete all the current content for once. Having 4.1 a little bulkier might be a necessity to keep lots of those not inclined on doing raid content though.
03/04/2011 1:58 PMPosted by Yrmenlaf
I'm personally dismayed about this change despite understanding why it's being done. As far as I've seen, low-quantity releases released more often hasn't really ever happened (anyone remember how long ago Valve said that about Half Life Episodes 1-3?)

If you are going to make that argument, then you had best bring up the amount of wait we had to endure for Starcraft 2... as well as Duke Nukem Forever... (God Bless you Gearbox!)

And just a quick intelligence check for those who say "You can't complain, you're not 12/12." I know rational arguments don't really get through to irrational people, but I can't help myself. If you have a plate of lima beans for dinner, are you not allowed to want something else if you haven't finished your lima beans yet?

No, because you want to be a good little boy and eat everything on your plate, and learn to like vegetables like you are suppose to for a good, healthy diet...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's be honest here, Cata is hard... DAMN hard.. and there are many hurtles that guilds are experiencing in terms of clearing content, and finishing progression. Another tier of raiding would only hurt the player base dramatically, due to the fact that it undercuts the guilds that have completed the released content, and obsoletes the gear that they all earned. Alot of what players have been banking on since last expansion is the ability to overgear content in order to complete it. Blizzard is sending a clear message that not only do they not want to allow players to have that option, but to show that such a philosophy hurts the idea of story/lore progression with the game itself. Video Games are alot like novels in that respect, and part of what Blizzard wishes to do is to protect the value of the 'story' by pacing the content with gear/raids being released...

Trying to overgear the content and 'jump' to the raid that's the easiest is no different than flipping to the back of the novel just to read the ending. It's a practice I'm pretty sure Blizzard doesn't approve of, and wants to prevent players from using/abusing such methods in terms of clearing lore-oriented raids...
03/04/2011 2:10 PMPosted by Hartenn
what about that empty area below silithus? its just a barren ahn'quiraj raid area.

There will be another rehash coming as new content because not many people experienced it you know...

I wouldn't be surprised with their current track record.
People who say "You're not 12/12" yet seem to be glossing over the fact that the PTR will be up for a month, minimum, and probably longer. The firelands PTR is likely to be at least 2 more months. At that point, there'll be a lot more "12/12" out there.

I think that's the entire point ... so more people can be 12/12 ...

Yeah ...
The 12/12, 20% argument is still stupid people. Because again this whole announcement is half baked and premature.

Cataclysm Launch: December 7th, 2010.
Today: March 4th, 2011. 3 Months.

So what if it was April 7th, or May 7th? I would agree we can't say.. have Firelands on Tuesday, people needed time to reach 85 and practice in heroic dungeons (a LOT of practice). But at what point do you shrug off the number of people and their raid LACK of progression for new content?
Good idea. My guild is still struggling with normal raids, so clearly the more casual side of raiding is not done yet. I'm glad Blizzard is not catering to the hardcore raiders here. I hope 4.1 will also include some non-heroic/casual content for when people don't feel like doing the gear grind.
so 4.1 is a lore filler patch b4 firelands?? is the lore linked? but still a great idea to wait imo
I agree.

This is a good idea, it follows Blizzard’s business model, lasting appeal to the maximum number of player possible. Sure the hardcore raiders may not like it (I understand your argument) but guess what, not all of the 12million or so players have not cleared or even set foot into raids.

4.1 brings with it 2 new heroics witch everyone can enjoy, balance changes (but that’s a different story), changes to the UI and guild system that everyone can enjoy and a tier of loot over 346 gear that will help more people progress into raids such as myself.
As to those few people who have downed all the current content, I congratulate you. In the time between 4.1 and 4.2 you could always PvP, work on alts or heck go play another game or go outside 0.o

From those of us who have not cleared everything and need a bit more time, Thank You.
I look forward to all future content patches large and small.

-Arc
03/04/2011 2:41 PMPosted by Amorluce
Why are Valor Points being "converted" into Justice Points? What stupidity is this?

I believe they are referring to the items not the points.
Buying the current valor epics with Justice points in 4.2
03/03/2011 5:53 PMPosted by Bashiok
featuring all-new boss mechanics, updated epic-level loot, and some rare mounts for players to try to tame.

That's good to know! I was not aware one could "tame" a mount. Must be a new thing there coming out with.lol
03/04/2011 2:41 PMPosted by Amorluce
Why are Valor Points being "converted" into Justice Points? What stupidity is this?

They are doing that so you don't get to immediatly buy t12.
03/04/2011 2:47 PMPosted by Adamsavage
featuring all-new boss mechanics, updated epic-level loot, and some rare mounts for players to try to tame.

That's good to know! I was not aware one could "tame" a mount. Must be a new thing there coming out with.lol

i think "tame" a mount makes more sense then "obtain" a mount. think of wild horses back in the cowboy days, they had to be tamed and "broken down" so to speak, before they could be used for transportation. i am sure you wouldn't be able to walk up to a wild kodo, raptor, or a proto-drake throw a saddle on their back and have them carry you places... haha just sayin
See I'm actually rather dismayed at this decision and Blizzard's desire to move players at their own pace. I say this as someone who would move through content slower than Blizzard would release it.

The reason being that the notion of tiered content being released like seasons in a sport (this includes the valor reset/new badges etc) and having new 5 man content to get you up to speed and ready to raid the current level of content just plain cheapens the game and kills the notion of actual progression.

I'm going to do the old fogey thing here but there was a time that you raided certain content so you could gear up and then move onto the next tier once you were ready. You ran into Kara and honed your raid, got your tier set (lets pretend there wasn't that whole pvp welfare epic thing going on) and then once your guild was ready, you moved onto SSC/TK or ZA depending on the timing. Hell, BT/Hyjal or Sunwell could have been out but people moved onto the tiers that they were ready to tackle and that was COOL.

One could argue that withholding content is in Blizzards interest as it prolongs the life of the game but I would argue to the contrary. The current system they've got makes content obsolete MUCH more quickly as for example, someone who joins in halfway through the expansion pack doesn't have to do the original tier of content in order to get up to speed. Nobody will be running the introductory raids. Instead they'll be running 5 man content to get new epics in order to start doing the latest tier. This was especially noticeable in Wrath, when a new tier of content was released the previous tier became a ghost town save for a few adventurous achievement seekers. TBC on the other hand forced people to move up to the latest tier of content via previous tiers, A. from attunements and B. from gear requirements. I like this method much better.

I say release the content when it's ready, slow down easy access to the latest greatest thing and let people move at their own pace.
Aytheist is completely right. You should HAVE to complete the old content to be capable of handling the new tier of raids. This is how it used to be, and I by far the most effective method. By releasing new 5mans to gear people for the newest raids they destroy the lower tiered raids; they have no value. Players should have to work their way up the tiers; they should not be able to just start at the top.
There could be nothing between now and firelands.

I'll take seeing two of my favorite places in the game in a new light.
I agree with him as well, but I don’t think two 5-mans worth of epics will have people 100% ready for the next tier. People will still need to run BoT/BwD/ToFW. I think the new heroics are meant to get more people in the right direction and give them one foot in the door to start raid more successfully.

The new heroics will have their own gear requirement and DON’T drop 359 items. I think it’s the slight boost most people/guilds need to finish the current content.