Outdated SMF guide. Please remove sticky. :)

Warrior
Prev 1 3 4 5 35 Next
03/14/2011 6:03 PMPosted by Hellgár
Hey collision grats on getting a sticky. I been super busy with school finals ect. What spec is pulling ahead in sims with the new changes.

Holy crap I thought you were me for a moment. Damn human females looking the same.

As the guy previously posted, that's about what it looks like now. All warrior dps specs are competitive.
I don't spec as DPS, but will SMF ever do as much DPS as TG?
03/14/2011 10:18 PMPosted by Howardö
I don't spec as DPS, but will SMF ever do as much DPS as TG?

It's currently marginally better than TG with equal gear. Anywhere from 300-800 DPS better in most cases.

Hellgar,

Just checked your armory. I used to use the same rings you do. Simcraft put the two blue ones I'm wearing Skyshard and Nova Band higher than either of those. I can't remember what my results were but between be able to better reforge gear after switching, I think I came out around 500 simulated dps higher. Now I don't know how that reflected in reality, but I have alot of confidence in Simcraft.

I missed this earlier.

There's no way that 346 ilevel rings will beat out a 359 ring. Even if you compare perfect itemization to the worst itemization the additional STR will be more than enough to make up for the difference.
Not according to simcraft. Maybe I'm not doing it right but I tried many many combinations and the best by a large margin was with both blue rings.
03/14/2011 10:37 PMPosted by Doglips
Not according to simcraft. Maybe I'm not doing it right but I tried many many combinations and the best by a large margin was with both blue rings.

There has to be something you're doing wrong. Are you forgetting to put the +40 str enchant on the rings?
I stand corrected, the difference between the two -

Blue Rings - 24456
Epic Rings - 24487

I double checked that everything was enchanted appropriatley, retrospectivley I must've been messing around with cloaks.

However with my current gear values Skyshard Ring is somewhat better than Band of Bees/Blauvault

Str = 1
Exp = .71
Cri = .53
Has = .35
Mas =.37

Skyshard Ring = 301.2 EP

BoB/Blauvault = 281.5 EP

Nova Band is worse however = 268.8 EP

The Skyshard Ring is situationly better than Nova Band and BoB/Blauvault only because exp caps at 26.
As far as Reforging goes, I would like to know if what i have done so far is good. ( please do not look at my bracers and trinkets..been 85 for 2 days.)

Prio: After Exp and Hit 8% : Crit,Hit 8-13%, mastery

so i reforged all mastery into Hit so far.

Also, correct my gemming if needed. Iv'e seen people saying that its better to have 40 str all the way when the bonus is under +20 ''xxx''

Pulling roughly 11k on dummy. Enchants incoming on mainhand.

Curent Rotation:

Bt_Cs_Bt_Slam on proc-Rb_Bt,Exec 5 stacks

Resume rotation.

Please correct my mistakes as i am currently learning :)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/pandemur/advanced
You're right on, especially for only being 85 for 2 days... hell, you almost out-gear me.

The only thing I would suggest is not hitting Raging Blow unless you absolutely have nothing else to hit. Even then, I'd wait for BT if you don't have a lot of rage and you think hitting RB might delay your BT.

STR enchant on your hands. Crit on your bracers. Pure +40 STR in every other socket except your legs (because the socket bonus is 20STR).

If you get new trinks you'll be doing some nice damage.
So Heroic Strike over RB..thats the thing im trying to figure out...If i barely use RB should i plug in BT when excess rage or just HS...Either one is most usually available.
03/15/2011 12:11 PMPosted by Pandemur
So Heroic Strike over BT..thats the thing im trying to figure out...If i barely use BT should i plug in BT when excess rage or just HS...Either one is most usually available.

Only thing you should be using over BT is CS.
Yeah i meant to write:

CS over RB !!

Lol..messed my post..

SO BT-CS-BT-Slam on proc- ?? RB or CS..?

CS will proc Incite wich is nice....tought BT hits with both weapons.
Yeah i meant to write:

CS over RB !!

Lol..messed my post..

SO BT-CS-BT-Slam on proc- ?? RB or CS..?

CS will proc Incite wich is nice....tought BT hits with both weapons.

No, you meant Heroic Strike. Your question is, "which is more beneficial as a 'rage dump', Raging Blow, or Heroic Strike?"

The answer to that question from a damage-per-rage standpoint is Raging Blow... but my point in my previous post was that RB is not optimal if it will hinder your next Bloodthirst.

Example: occasionally I get trigger-happy and I see RB light up and both Bloodthirst and Slam are on cooldown (or slam is not procced). I hit Raging blow and then I miss a few swings and don't have enough rage to hit Bloodthirst on its next cooldown. This is a DPS loss.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I think of Raging Blow as rage-dump #1, when I know I have enough rage to get my next bloodthirst (and slam isn't available), perhaps around 50 rage.. Heroic strike I only use > 70 rage or during CS (again, as long as it doesn't impede your regular rotation, given your rage generation is decent).

Jeez, so many caveats with this discussion. Lol.
Pandemur,

Just glancing at your armory, there is alot of stuff you can do to optimize your character.

Head enchant, but being that you're only two days at 85 that's probably why you are missing it.

Get 3x 67 Str Gems in.

Your gem in your chest should be 20str/20crit only because if you have an yellow socket with +10str bonus does it outweigh a 40 str gem. It's very small, but if you figure that strength in most SMF builds equals 1 normalized EP, then a 40 str gem equals 40 EP. Crit you can figure equals about .52 EP, 20 str + 10 str (Socket Bonus) + 20 Crit*(.52) = 40.4 EP. You're about 50 points over expertise cap. I would start by reforging the expertise on Magnetite Mirror to Crit and then mess around with a few other reforges to balance it out. You can reforge a good deal of hit to mastery because with anything more than 8% you are going to be dumping too much into heroic strike. The easiest thing to do is just to import your character into chardev.org and mess around with it til you can get your values as close to what I list below.

As a rule of thumb and please correct me if you think I'm mistaken is that for SMF - 8% hit > 26 Exp > Str > Crit > Mastery > Haste = Hit

This does not coincide with simcraft absolutley and will likely change in 4.1 but in 4.06 there is so much enviromental damage especially as you move into raids that you are gaining alot of rage from unavoidable damage that you take. What happens with that extra rage is that it gets converted into heroic strike or worse, capped and lost and current sims have heroic strike being quite inefficient damage per rage since the nerf.
I just got my second lava spine and really debating trying out SMF. I'm already pulling 22-23k on most single target fights and a little lower on ones with more movement. Would switching to SMF provide a substantial difference? Or should I just not bother.
Cool, colossus smash was buffed back to 100% for PVE usage. Right when I thought I might not have to watch my threat in the first 40 seconds. =P
I'm in a good mood. I'll answer whatever questions you guys have for me tonight.

03/15/2011 8:24 PMPosted by Mistweaver
I just got my second lava spine and really debating trying out SMF. I'm already pulling 22-23k on most single target fights and a little lower on ones with more movement. Would switching to SMF provide a substantial difference? Or should I just not bother.

The difference between TG and SMF is insignificant. You might gain anywhere from 300-500 dps by switching to SMF. Landslide is hella expensive right now, so I would just stick with what you're doing until you have 372 weapons.

03/15/2011 3:08 PMPosted by Kasumokin
whats going to be best for arena and/or bg's coming next patch? arms is getting buffed back up and i was wondering if anybody knew yet. and will smf still be better than tg?

Unfortunately I'm not qualified to answer PVP questions. Sorry. If you want my educated guess, I think SMF will be slightly better as it puts more of it's damage into a reliable attack (Bloodthirst) while TG relies on Raging blow, which can be tranq'd.

03/15/2011 12:11 PMPosted by Pandemur
So Heroic Strike over RB..thats the thing im trying to figure out...If i barely use RB should i plug in BT when excess rage or just HS...Either one is most usually available.

Dude, you're seriously giving me a headache here. It's all in the first post. Re-read if necessary. I specifically gave scenarios in which it's acceptable to use heroic strike.

03/14/2011 11:15 PMPosted by Doglips
The Skyshard Ring is situationly better than Nova Band and BoB/Blauvault only because exp caps at 26.

Sounds about right. I would still stick with the 359 rings and pickup my expertise elsewhere from reforging.

Are you guys finding FoA easy to line up with Csmash for better dumps?

Or do you keep FoA on cooldown?

Considering FoA has a 20 second duration and Colossus Smash has a 20 second cooldown, it's almost impossible to NOT line up FoA with Csmash unless you don't use Csmash on cooldown, which is a terrible idea.

I currently have FoA bound to some random key and a power aura setup to alert me when it's ready. If there's a burnphase or cooldown (Deathwish, other trinket proc) coming up in the next 10 seconds I'll hold off on using it. Otherwise, I use it on cooldown.
Collision,

After reading the new notes, that CS is back too 100% for now in PVE, BUT it appears that the RB bump to 120% is gone so it is back to 100%

I still think the 40% white swings buff will overall increase our DPS, but RB will be suffering.

Can you re-run stat priorities? I have a feeling SMF will now favor haste over mastery and avoid mastery like the plague.
I got a question for you guys. i read the posts about only needing 8% hit (or 5% not counting precision) for fury. my hit was around 12% and i reforged and went down to below 10% ( like 9.6 i think). suddenly i took a huge dps hit. i could no longer get above 11-13k. so i reforged back to 12% (and got some new gear as well) and now im doing 16k or more dps. whats up with that? how the hell do people have 5% hit and do ridiculous dps?. oh and not only am i doing far less dps when i have less than 10% hit, im also rage starved too.

any help would be great. for the time being im staying above 12% hit.
03/16/2011 7:10 AMPosted by Fiura
whats up with that? how the hell do people have 5% hit and do ridiculous dps?

I don't know exactly the way you play, but the difference between 8% hit players and 11-12%+ hit players is rotation discipline. My guess is your rotation is a bit off, and you aren't maximizing your best damage-per-rage abilities.