Vanguards Retribution Paladin PvP Guide 7.2

Paladin
Prev 1 13 14 15 29 Next
08/16/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Kregonqt
Sorry to ask, there a good spec so i can use Divine storm with ret?

It seems to me that you're asking about speccing a bit late in the game, seeing how next week at the earliest (big patch) or in a month at the latest, the talent systems are radically changing!

But if you want to know for the benefit of the next few days at least:

Retribution paladins have the benefit of having a few loose points to play with, allowing you to optimize to your play style. Popping a point in Divine Storm will still leave you a few points to play around with, so it's not a terrible idea. Divine Storm's utility in PvP is best seen in base-capping Battlegrounds like Arathi Basin and Battle of Gilneas; unlike Consecrate or even Hammer of the Righteous, this AoE damage hits everyone and buys your team a few extra seconds to stop a cap. It's less useful in other areas of PvP. In fact, the only time I use it is if I stumble across a hunter's snake trap. Creaming so many snakes with DS assuredly gives you HP and gets those annoying reptiles off your bum. Try not to use it any other time, it's a complete waste of the CD better used for a Crusader Strike. (Indeed, if you're in the middle of a big pile of enemies, you risk breaking CC your teammates throw.)

If you're like me, and use your Secondary Spec for an entirely different spec (I like to tank), then your ret spec if you intend to ever PvE as dps will need Divine Storm to deal with trash pulls. Again, Ret currently has so many extra points floating around, 1 point for DS isn't a big waste at all.
Oh, speaking of HP generation.

This only applies in world PvP, but if you find yourself in Tol Barad or wherever, and your enemy Vanishes/Invisi/Ice Blocks/bubbles/etc., turn around and Crusader Strike the heck out of some poor wittle bunny/fox kit/etc. Don't just sit there waiting for them to recover their breath from the butt-whoopin' you just delivered.

Edit: this can apply to most other melee classes that depend on building up Rage/Runic Power/Maelstrom stacks/Combo points/etc.
I should focus on Crit more right? since my hitcap already, because i didnt play the game until October past, ima not sure if i do miss a lot of part from our spec in pvp.
Yep. I think Vanguard did a good job of laying out the stat priorities earlier, but a brief recap:

Strength>Hit (5% in PvP)>Crit>Mastery>Haste>Expertise.

Expertise is actually surprisingly easy to build for paladins (thanks to the Prime Glyph for Seal of Truth), combined with racial bonuses for humans and dwarves if you happen to be that species. It's not altogether important in PvP though because a) you should try to hit opponents from behind whenever possible; b) you can be overloaded on Expertise and the rogues/ferals will still be dodging your Crusader Strikes *grump*

But yeah, Crit is so important in PvP that I would reforge out even Mastery for it. Vanguard did well in explaining why earlier. But in PvE, Mastery trumps Crit (Mastery props up sustained dps).
Alright, thanks mate. i will give my view with crit, ima still in season 9 with my ally and horde pallys. :/
I notice with more crit you hurt a lot more this time then with mastery. thanks again for the helps.
Updating to MOP! Feel free to discuss what you think is wrong / opinions on my MOP stuff. Looking to build it more as I get more perspective from people, and play 5.0 myself more!
Why would Long Arm of the Law be better than Pursuit of Justice if Judgements can now be dodged?
Any thoughts regarding glyphs? Having a hell of a time figuring them out - currently running TV, Turn Evil, and Word of Glory.
08/28/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Vanguards
Updating to MOP! Feel free to discuss what you think is wrong / opinions on my MOP stuff. Looking to build it more as I get more perspective from people, and play 5.0 myself more!

I think mastery is performing better from what I have tested, about the gems PvP Power is giving way too much damage than raw Strength is doing, so I gemmed Str+PvP power in red sockets, PvP power on Blue. (All of these is at level 85, I'm too lazy to download the beta right now).

Also a nice thing to notice is that Sacred Shield benefits from haste, so, maybe it is worth a try at level 90 to reforge Haste and see how much it benefits from it (getting 4 secs ticks or less with bloodlust active.)
08/29/2012 11:46 AMPosted by Ishkandir
Any thoughts regarding glyphs? Having a hell of a time figuring them out - currently running TV, Turn Evil, and Word of Glory.

This seems like it, Seems Word of glory (with harsh word) its pretty cool when you're being kited to no end.

Turn Evil seems mandatory since everyone is playing warlocks and all that stuff, also the damage reduction from TV is simply too good.
08/29/2012 06:44 AMPosted by Sliphe
Why would Long Arm of the Law be better than Pursuit of Justice if Judgements can now be dodged?

If you cap expertise you will never fail a judgement, also Pursuit of Justice is only 15% as you will be spending all your HoPo Asap.
08/29/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Faeria

If you cap expertise you will never fail a judgement, also Pursuit of Justice is only 15% as you will be spending all your HoPo Asap.

Except you will never make Judgement completely undodgeable against an agility wearer.
Is this guide still relevant and up to date since 5.0.4? The guide was written a while back and Vanguards said Ret is weak, weaker than Cata. Though I have read multiple times that Ret is looking good in MoP from several different threads so I'm a bit confused.
08/31/2012 12:06 PMPosted by Iwïn
Is this guide still relevant and up to date since 5.0.4? The guide was written a while back and Vanguards said Ret is weak, weaker than Cata. Though I have read multiple times that Ret is looking good in MoP from several different threads so I'm a bit confused.

Ret is looking good for casuals and people who don't play at a competitive level of play.

However, if you wanna stay competitive ret is as Vanguards said, its OK, weaker than cata since every class can heal out of nowhere, our survival is not as good as before, and we lack sustained damage, meaning that if you don't kill anything during 18 secs of Holy Avenger you will have to wait 2 min to actually make the enemy team feel damage.
08/31/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Faeria

Ret is looking good for casuals and people who don't play at a competitive level of play.

However, if you wanna stay competitive ret is as Vanguards said, its OK, weaker than cata since every class can heal out of nowhere, our survival is not as good as before, and we lack sustained damage, meaning that if you don't kill anything during 18 secs of Holy Avenger you will have to wait 2 min to actually make the enemy team feel damage.

And with the amount of CC available, I'd wager we won't even be taking Holy Avenger unless we can guarantee we'll be able to stick on a target, which would largely depend on the compositions of both teams.
is there way to use turn evil on warlock's pets without clicking on them?
How should I be gemming for PvP post 5.0.4?
09/01/2012 08:09 AMPosted by Ginnyweasley
How should I be gemming for PvP post 5.0.4?

Blue for PvP Power, Red for STR, or Str+PvP Power (I'm not sure if these exist), and yellow for PvP resilence or Str+PvP resilence.