Vanguards Retribution Paladin PvP Guide 7.2

Paladin
Prev 1 15 16 17 29 Next
Updated guide!

@polyxo double pvp trinket is recommended. that PvP Power can't be ignored!

@sataros thanks!

@positron yes 3% hit. Expertise depends on how much parry / dodge the player has. 3% covers most clothies. You can go further if you don't want parries / dodge and such to happen to warriors, rets, rogues etc. However even a ret has 20% parry nearly, you can't really cap that.
i think mine is better bubble bubble bubble wings loh bubble bubble bubble
LOL U R ALL TOAL NOOOOOOBZ
03/07/2011 07:43 AMPosted by Vanguardy
Why POJ in Rated Battlegrounds? Mainly because of the slightly faster mount speed giving you and Death Knights an edge on getting to bases and such.
PoJ doesn't have any affect on mount speed anymore (and when it did, it didn't stack with Crusader anyways).
I'm going to give this a 7.5/10. The majority is good, but there are some key flaws.
Thank you so much for this guide, I haven't done pally pvp since BC and even then I was holy. Thank you for all the tips and GL out there.
Is there any thought to how execution sentance might be used in Arenas or is it just not even worth trying at all? just curious because it puts out more dmg then holy prism and by that thought also more healing if used you yourself or off target.
What you mean with double pvp trinket?
You mean, don't use the pvp trinket that have "remove impairing effect" ?
Aaah, just for humans. So sad..
Any hints for comp 2s with a ret pally and a frost mage?

When we get a healer is hard. We always focus on dps, but sometimes we don't kill the dps until one of us die.

We try to focus our cc's but it's kite hard actually.
Thank you this has helped me alot
Any updates in regards to 5.1? Noticed you changed your gemming to be more resilience-focused. Has the value of PvP power dropped now with the nerf to our offheals?
Gearing Up Blues

10/06/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Heritor
I'm ripping my eyes out right now trying to grind honor, 90k pyroblasts 3 times in a row, 150k chaos bolts every 15 seconds, and just many other nuisances are making this incredibly tough. Does it get better with full gear? Can I look forward to ret being viable in RBGs or Arenas? I hear so many mixed things and I draw my own conclusions, but I am so lost right now.

It gets better with gear. You won't be instant gimped so fast. Remember to use your -40% magical damage shield when under fire, it'll significantly reduce those chaos bolts and pyroblasts.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Trinkets

Something I wanted to mention about the trinket usage. I've seen a number of Horde paladins running around in random BG's (note I said Random Battlegrounds) not using the movement impairing trinkets, but instead the Str proc trinket. Because of this I thought I'd mention something while people are still gearing and such.

You can use two of the 'on use' Str trinkets if they are different variety - aka you can equip a blue Dreadful one and a purple Malevolent epic one at the same time and stair step their usage right after one another. The way the cooldowns work is, you can use one right after the first one's 20 sec duration expires, thereby granting you 40 total seconds of 'on use' Strength effects.

This is confirmed as of the date of this post for 5.1. Just thought I'd mention it for those interested in having a longer period of burst.

-=-=-=-=-=-

PvP Power vs PvP Resilience

11/30/2012 02:56 PMPosted by Sary
Any updates in regards to 5.1? Noticed you changed your gemming to be more resilience-focused. Has the value of PvP power dropped now with the nerf to our offheals?

I share these concerns as well. Any info?
For the Thread Author

Vanguard,

Have you considered putting together a Vs <Class> breakdown of our skill effectiveness similar to what Rugmouse did with his "Effective Class Control as a Rogue" on the Skillcapped Rogue forums? (I noticed you've posted there before and know the site I'm referring to.) It certainly would be a beneficial addition to your guide here for both players, and perhaps even any reading Dev's to see where we're standing in various direct match ups.
03/07/2011 07:43 AMPosted by Vanguardy
Hand of Prism

wat
I highly recommend watching Vanguards twitch stream. I was an Arena Master back in WotLK, quit for all of Cata and only recently came back. I was playing at like an 1800 level at best in 3's and was very disappointed with my play. After watching Vanguards' stream I realized a lot of the things I was doing wrong (positioning primarily, though lots of other things that would take too long to get into) and have since crested 2k. We're beating most 2100 teams we come up against, so I'm optimistic we'll be up over 2200 sometime soon.

Anyway, this guide is pretty good, but watching Vanguards play is probably the best thing any ret could do to up his play. He's without a doubt the best ret paladin in the world and he's nice enough to let you spy on him while playing and share his UI/keybinds so why would you not take the time to check that out?
I highly recommend watching Vanguards twitch stream. I was an Arena Master back in WotLK, quit for all of Cata and only recently came back. I was playing at like an 1800 level at best in 3's and was very disappointed with my play. After watching Vanguards' stream I realized a lot of the things I was doing wrong (positioning primarily, though lots of other things that would take too long to get into) and have since crested 2k. We're beating most 2100 teams we come up against, so I'm optimistic we'll be up over 2200 sometime soon.

Anyway, this guide is pretty good, but watching Vanguards play is probably the best thing any ret could do to up his play. He's without a doubt the best ret paladin in the world and he's nice enough to let you spy on him while playing and share his UI/keybinds so why would you not take the time to check that out?

He went 2-7 last night.
12/07/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Wutangrza
He's without a doubt the best ret paladin in the world

That seems unlikely.

12/09/2012 10:48 AMPosted by Faeria
He went 2-7 last night.

That's what happens when you're a ret at 2k mmr