Priest 101

New Player Help and Guides
Hello everyone I'm starting a priest and was just wondering whats the best way to go about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
What do you mean, best way to go about it? Do you want to know about spell rotations, talents, gearing, or mechanics?

You can start by checking out the stickies in the Priest forum. They have a lot of overview/general information there.
what spec are you choosing?
I might go shadow priest that's all i got to go off of right what are the governing attributes ?
03/13/2011 2:07 PMPosted by Mirthsith
I might go shadow priest that's all i got to go off of right what are the governing attributes ?

Go to the priest forum and read their leveling stickypost. It'll tell you everything you could possibly want to know.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Light... as well as the shadow that parallels it. :)

Well, have you decided what spec you would like to level as? :D Discipline and Holy are your two healing specs, while Shadow is the DPS spec. Personally, I think Disc is ideal to level as, as you can do decent damage, be very mana conservative, and be able to heal dungeons. Shadow is also a good choice since you can kill enemies fast... although you'll be running out of mana much more easily. Holy I have not tried yet, though it may be slower to quest as. You'll still be a great healer, though!

When you pick up gear, aim for things with Intellect and Spirit on them. Spell power is useful too if you ever find it. When you get closer to endgame, other stats will be important too... but Intellect and Spirit are your main stats.

Try to find a wand as soon as you can, and make good use of the Shoot ability for mana conservation. I think many of the new quests eventually have wands as rewards, but you probably can find a wand for cheap on the Auction House as well.

Other than that, just have fun. :) Priest isn't a class you can just rush into battle with. You'll have to be careful with pulls at first and don't take on too many enemies at once. Use your defensive abilities (Power Word: Shield) wisely, apply your DoTs (damage over time spells), and keep an eye on mana. That's really all it comes down to. But if you're diligent, priest ends up being a very fun class (well, to me, anyway!).

If you would like to heal dungeons as you go too, that's a whole other set of tips. ;) Basically, it's good to start healing early so you get plenty of practice. When you learn new spells, play around with them and work them into your toolbox of abilities. Priest has a lot of spells to work with, but if you figure them out one at a time, it's not as bad.

Good luck! Let us know if you have any specific questions about priest as well.
Thanks for the help everyone. :D
I suggest Discipline at first, then when you hit around 40 go dual spec and hit up Shadow. I leveled to 40 as Holy, and it was slow. Once you have enough talent points for Shadow form, I would switch over. Shadow is soo much better, at least for soloing and questing. I imagine that if you want to group up a lot, then Holy is perfectly fine so long as you are in groups.
elitistjerks.com
priest forums
I found my priest had to melee most of the Cata quests; if I tried to stand out of melee range and cast, it wouldn't do much damage and I couldn't kill anything. That was hard. Did a lot of praying and dying...
I levelled Shadow. Love it... While levelling the Cata quests was a bit frustrating, I found it pretty easy through the earlier stuff. I read up on elitist jerks for tips on priestly things...
I found my priest had to melee most of the Cata quests; if I tried to stand out of melee range and cast, it wouldn't do much damage and I couldn't kill anything. That was hard. Did a lot of praying and dying...
I levelled Shadow. Love it... While levelling the Cata quests was a bit frustrating, I found it pretty easy through the earlier stuff. I read up on elitist jerks for tips on priestly things...

Melee? I do hope you don't mean trying to hit things with your melee weapon. And why wouldn't your spells do much damage from a distance? :\

Priests don't really have the luxury of being able to keep enemies at a distance easily, but that's why we have Power Word: Shield for protection. And you can cast all your spells in either melee or ranged distance. Just because the monster's in your face doesn't mean you can't cast any spells, or use your wand. Both are usable in melee range.

PW:S > Vampiric Touch > SW: Pain > (Devouring Plague if it's a challenging mob, otherwise I save my mana) > Mind Blast > Mind Flay > Mind Flay > Mind Blast . . .

Does more than enough damage and often kills the enemy before the second Mind Blast. :P Attack from max range if at all possible so that the enemy will be half dead by the time they get to you. For more difficult fights, be sure to keep up PW:S regularly. In emergencies remember you also have healing spells.

I leveled to about 78 as Disc before switching to Shadow for questing. I can't really imagine going through the Cata areas as Disc... the enemies respawn so fast that I NEED the extra power of Shadow to kill them, get my stuff, and get out before I get overwhelmed by mobs. xD That'd be a challenge.
I leveled to about 78 as Disc before switching to Shadow for questing. I can't really imagine going through the Cata areas as Disc... the enemies respawn so fast that I NEED the extra power of Shadow to kill them, get my stuff, and get out before I get overwhelmed by mobs. xD That'd be a challenge.

I have a guild mate who leveled to 85 as holy. How's that for devotion?
03/14/2011 12:44 AMPosted by Zakkibank

Your spells don't do more damage if you cast them in melee range than they do if you cast them at max range. Surely you don't mean you you were smacking mobs in the face with your mace? Please tell me you weren't.

The early Cata quests were tough, but once you get some Cata greens it becomes a lot easier.

I have a guild mate who leveled to 85 as holy. How's that for devotion?

That's pretty devoted. :D

I'd like to try leveling as Holy sometime, see what it's like, but I have so many other characters to work on first. Besides, what do I need with three priests? ;)
I just made a channel for newer players to the game to see what Rated BGs are like for Discipline priests, if your interested u might want to check out my channel, i hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/user/Smashadamz1337?feature=mhum
No. I wasn't smacking stuff with melee wep. Just one example: in early Uldum, there is a mini-boss mob you nead to kill after you do the Wastewander outriders and scorpions. I tried standing on a nearby building and casting at him. His health barely went down until I jumped off the building and stood within close range; then his health started going down properly with my casting. He was one of many like that. I bubble, but was finding that the bubble was disappearing almost immediately in combat. Don't know if it was a bug. Anyway, I survived to 85, so all's well...
03/14/2011 11:42 AMPosted by Zakkibank
No. I wasn't smacking stuff with melee wep. Just one example: in early Uldum, there is a mini-boss mob you nead to kill after you do the Wastewander outriders and scorpions. I tried standing on a nearby building and casting at him. His health barely went down until I jumped off the building and stood within close range; then his health started going down properly with my casting. He was one of many like that. I bubble, but was finding that the bubble was disappearing almost immediately in combat. Don't know if it was a bug. Anyway, I survived to 85, so all's well...

Likely what was happening here is his health was resetting or he was evading because he couldn't reach you. It's a normal occurrence. If you had started on the ground but far away it would have worked better. As for the bubble going away, PWS only works for a certain amount of damage. That was probably being reached quickly.
I leveled as Shadow pretty much exclusively. It can be a little bit painful running out of mana in early levels. As soon as I could get talent points into Masochism, life was better. It certainly wasn't the end of the world though even without it. Just don't be bothered if your bars aren't constantly at full -- if you are questing, it doesn't matter as mob positions are fairly spread out. If you level in BGs and dungeons, mana could be more of a concern. While questing I'd find myself sometimes just sitting down for a few seconds to get back to full HP by then, mana would be full too. At least in my memory, I don't remember having to put PW:Shield on much either, as long as I was careful about the number of bad guys I was aggroing at once, they were usually dead before getting to melee distance. By mid-levels I hardly had to ever pop out of Shadowform to heal.

I did some dungeons in the 60's as discipline because queues were faster as a healer, and by then I had some good healing abilities available. It's another option if you want to duel spec and/or do something other than questing.

But all in all I had a lot of fun leveling as a shadow priest, to be honest. I leveled a few alts just to see what the other classes are like, and my priest is still my favorite one. Get some glyphs to help our your dmg (Mind Flay, SW:Pain, SW: Death) as soon as your level and money allows for them. It helps tons.

Roll shadow Priest and melt faces. Or roll discipline priest and never die.
I leveled to 85 as Holy. Never really got into shadow and wasn't familiar with Disc. until Cata Dungeons. Wasn't too bad, and I did not need the help of guild mates on anything. Took me a few days for 85 so not like it took forever or anything.

However, I never even really use Holy anymore, probably going to replace it with shadow and see how that goes.