Abolish the daily valor points from heroics

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
I'm a tank, it'd be a great injustice to the community if I did not log in every day for the masses.

Oh dont worry you still have to do 7 heroics if you want your valor, however now its up to you to decided when to do it.

Also I am hoping MMO champ is right and daily heroics are being changed into "7 heroics in a week that give valo"r(that is a mouthful...).

Less heroics = Less time played = less money for blizzard, not happening.

actually looks like it. Why would blizz care if we played WoW just abit less, in the long run it is better than us burning ourselves out by having to log in everyday. and being most of pay for a month of game time, this doesnt necessarily mean blizz will lose profit.
03/16/2011 8:01 PMPosted by Trixqt

It's the same amount of heroics.

Less days played in a row is more in this case though. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
Fantastic idea.

Congrats, Wasselin. They took your feedback well it seems.

LFD_RANDOM_REWARD_EXPLANATION1 = "The first seven random dungeons of this tier that you complete each week will earn you:";
and make them weekly valor points instead. Instead of having a daily cap of 70 valor points a day, make it a weekly cap of 490 valor points a week from heroic 5man dungeons. Would that ruin the game?

Back in WoTLK Ghostcrawler stated:
There are alternatives though. As a simple example, if you could run all your Dungeon Finder groups in one or two nights for the week without having to log on every night, it might feel less grindy to you. (Again, for some players doing anything more than a few times is going to feel grindy, but it's impossible for us to develop content faster than players can consume it.)

Conquest points from arena games already work this way. Valor points from 5 man dungeons should work this way also.

For those of us whose primary source of valor points is 5 man heroic dungeons it's too grindy to log in every single day in order to maximize valor point gain. It leads to burn out and makes for a frustrating experience for all in the dungeon finder.

I'm concerned that in this case, Tuesday would proceed smoothly for running Heroics, but since many tanks would get them all done by Wednesday at the latest, it would become even harder to queue up for them during the other five days...screwing over any DPS who couldnt get on Tuesday for whatever reason. More flexibility is always nice, but I'm concerned that would be an unacceptably high level of collateral damage.
I would love to see this sometimes at the end of a week day i do not have the time or feel like logging on for a heroic. I would much rather do multiple at once.
As someone stated it looks like this is being implemented...go check MMO champion it looks as if they're changing it to be weekly instead of daily.

Data mined:

"The first seven random dungeons of this tier that you complete each week will earn you:"
As someone stated it looks like this is being implemented...go check MMO champion it looks as if they're changing it to be weekly instead of daily.

Data mined:

"The first seven random dungeons of this tier that you complete each week will earn you:"

We shall see, if it is a replacement of the daily then I probably wont bother doing it at all. Seems more likely they may make it additional.
This looks like it will go live, and it's a nice change. Especially for when 4.2 rolls around.

You pay in advance... they could care less if you ever sign on if you pay them ahead of time.
I'm concerned that in this case, Tuesday would proceed smoothly for running Heroics, but since many tanks would get them all done by Wednesday at the latest, it would become even harder to queue up for them during the other five days...screwing over any DPS who couldnt get on Tuesday for whatever reason. More flexibility is always nice, but I'm concerned that would be an unacceptably high level of collateral damage.

Tanks will still have friends to play with and not everybody plays on Tuesday.

I log on to play and tank because I like this game and I like to tank. I don't get to play every day though. I wish I could, but I can't.
I agree make it weekly. Somedays I have kinds of time to play. Other days I cannot. So it would work well for me :P

I, too, am one of those players who doesn't play every day, but has a fair chunk of time one or two days a week to play. A weekly cap instead of a daily cap would give us casual players a chance at the epic gear rewards and feel less like neglected stepchildren.

The challenge is to marry the idea of providing adequate rewards to casual players without passing out heroic gear willy-nilly and lowering the value added to more dedicated players. We casual players would still like a fighting chance to participate in the LFD queue without getting kicked by the gearscore mentality so rampant during WotLK.

I wonder what the ratio is of casual players (2-8 hours/week) to more serious (15+ hours/week) players among Blizzard's WoW customers? That knowledge might provide some insight into Blizzard's design methodology and approach to game design for WoW.
Law of Unintended Consequences:

This is what will happen. Tanks (of which I am one) will log in on Tuesdays/Wednesdays and chain 7 heroics together. We'll then be done. We'll raid Thursday-Monday.

If this goes live - and I don't particularly care one way or another whether it does - then don't expect to be able to queue for a random on a Sunday, or even a Saturday.

This is what will happen. Tanks (of which I am one) will log in on Tuesdays/Wednesdays and chain 7 heroics together. We'll then be done. We'll raid Thursday-Monday.

If this goes live - and I don't particularly care one way or another whether it does - then don't expect to be able to queue for a random on a Sunday, or even a Saturday.

Nope. I don't play on your schedule and I am also a tank. That will not happen.

Those players will do that anyway. People who raid Thursday- Monday don't need the daily heroic every single daily.

I really think it will balance out. It might not but I doubt it will be that dire even if it doesn't.
I agree with the OP.

A capped maximum progress rate with weekly granularity allows time flexibility in reaching the cap and seems ok.

A capped maximum progress rate with daily granularity does not allow flexibility in a player’s schedule. It sets an expectation that daily completion of the content is required or progress will be slowed.

I stopped running heroics on my characters soon into Cataclysm as a result of the WotLK daily model being adopted again. I’m not prepared to sacrifice what I may be enjoying within the time available on a given day to meet what I consider an unrealistic gating expectation to run content daily.

I’m prepared to grind dailies for a rep reward goal or the trivial dailies for professions. If they feel like a chore, missing days doesn’t really matter and there’s an alternative means of acquiring rep.

Becoming stuck in the grind of running heroics daily would simply drive me from playing the game at all. A requirement to do something non-trivial every day doesn't seem fun unless it's the part of the game I'd find most fun.

you don't pay by the hour, you pay by the month, you fail at basic logic
One interesting affect of being able to do multiple heroics for VP in a row is that if you get a good LFD PUG of people and everyone's got time, you can do multiple successful heroics in a row with that same group for VP, rather than just JP and drops like would have been up till now. It's not as good as cross-server friend invites, but it's something.