Patch Solution - Norton High Security Threat

Technical Support
Prev 1 6 7 8 10 Next
@Donovan...

I'm sorry, but the pedestal does exist. For, not only am I extremely qualified in this area...I'm knowledgeable enough to know that temporarily disabling AV software has less potential repercussions than running the repair tool.

But, hell, you seem to know it all. You don't even need any advice!
-Googles "World of Warcraft - Repair" - PolyPocket's solution solved the problem in a snap, with SONAR on.

Glad I took the time to read through this thread instead of Googling something I already knew.

Otherwise I'd still have no clue on how to finish the update without disabling my AV.

Big THANKS Poly!
yea thought i was being attacked but agter readin here guess its ok norton told me it was funny and i should restart my comp comes up as 4.0.1.2210-enus-tools-downloader.exe thanks for the info
bumping so others will see this, thank you sir
@Donovan...

I'm sorry, but the pedestal does exist. For, not only am I extremely qualified in this area...I'm knowledgeable enough to know that temporarily disabling AV software has less potential repercussions than running the repair tool.

But, hell, you seem to know it all. You don't even need any advice!

Turning off Anti-virus always carriers greater potential repercussions then re-downloading broken files. Risking system infection versus risking bandwidth limit.
It is stickied at the top of the threads, so it will be here until Blizzard decides it's a non-common problem.
This is amazing blizzard is recommending people to disable av protection. Even just for 5-15mins.
When there own repair tool corrects the issue.
I have done it 3 times on 3 different pcs with 3 different AV products (norton, mcafee and avg). Other people have also posted saying wow repair worked.
Yet not one post by a blue mentioning to try this before disabling AV software. Nor is anything mentioned that people should not have browser windows open or be browsing the web all willy nilly with no protection while wow updates. Just hey do this to disable that and then you can play....

Repair took all of 5 mins to complete and I did not have to disable any protection at all.

Thank you Polypocket... worked for me too!

Repair Tool can be found in the Launcher, under Help.

Ciao!
Thanks!
I think we're all willing to accept Blizz would not intentionally introduce malware into their patch. But that does not exclude other possibilities such as an accidental infection, an intentional act by a disgruntled employee, or a successful hack of Blizzard's distribution servers.

I would like to hear from Hierophant and the other "false positive" champions how they were able to so swiftly and conclusively reach the determination of false positive. Have they personally disassembled the code and crawled through it? If not, what method was used to know exactly what is or is not in the patch?

What we do know is this patch has produced warning signs from multiple virus detection providers, where previous patches have not. Something is different and I would like a more professional and thorough response from Blizzard explaining the issue.

To those who have diagnosed it as a failure to sign the code, that at least is a credible explanation for how this could happen... but why would Blizz ever distribute unsigned code? That seems worthy of an official response.
Is the threat actually bad or is it nothing?
I have same issue with virus code in their download. This really ticks me off. I really do not appreciate having to run "AT RISK". Last time Blizzard did this I went through half a dozen AV programs trying to find one that it did not break. This one is having problems with all AV programs. If yours did not, better find a new one because it just let a malicious program run.
03/15/2011 4:23 PMPosted by Hotlight
Is the threat actually bad or is it nothing?

It's nothing. No virus or anything. It's a false positive.
Ran the repair as stated by Strive at the beginning of this thread and now I have absolutely no tools to download.

Is this bad or good?
03/15/2011 4:33 PMPosted by Baizhaochen

How do you know this?
Continue playing. It should be fine. As long as it works, your files will not be corrupted by having no tools. I don't have any as well.
03/15/2011 4:37 PMPosted by Alathas

How do you know this?

Panda Cloud Antivirus-CLEAN NO INFECTION
Microsoft Security Essentials-CLEAN NO INFECTION
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware-CLEAN NO INFECTION

The fact that the top 3 (in terms of sales & popularity) anti-virus programs (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, and now AVG) cannot seem to recognize a game that has frequent (on average once every 2 weeks) updates as not a virus or malware is why people call them crap.

The fact that AVG does NOT seem to have a way to "un-quarantine" files in its newer version is also a very horrible joke.

The FACT that all 3 of the aforementioned products (Norton/Symantec, McAfee, AVG) each have a larger footprint on system resources on their own than all 3 of the products I named (and personally use and checked the update with today just to be safe) is why people say to dump them.

You want GOOD alternatives:

Look here:
For more security products and tips I strongly urge all readers to please peruse Talrenya's extensive post on Basic Security Guidlines accessible as a sticky in this forum and the following link:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981678643

__________________________________________________________________________________
FIXING-Disconnections, Lag, Log-In Issues
Connection/Latency Issues of all types Come One, Come All
All day 24/7
Just see my mega-thread
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1020824261
Also, at least in my version of norton, i have the option to restore the file that they deleted and to have them ignore it while it downloads. dunno if that's safer than turning off SONAAR for fifteen minutes, but it worked for me.
I want prof of this or else im not downloading anything.
yea didnt work for me :/