Norton Keeps Disabling The Patch. Why?

Technical Support
03/15/2011 12:06 PMPosted by Hayleyfairy
The computer came with Norton so I use it. Got any better programs out there to use? I'm not a huge fan of McAfee or whatever the hell it is.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It seems to still stop about a tenth of the way through & SONAR tells me it's fixed a problem or w/e. Although, I may be failing to find the folder where WoW is stored, I've found a few different WoW Shortcuts throughout of my folders.

Try this to make sure it's turned off

To turn off or turn on SONAR Protection

In the Norton Security Suite main window, click Settings.

In the Settings window, under Detailed Settings, click Antivirus.

On the Automatic Protection tab, under Real Time Protection, in the SONAR Protection row, do one of the following:

To turn off SONAR Protection, move the On/Off switch to the right to the Off position.

To turn on SONAR Protection, move the On/Off switch to the left to the On position.

In the Settings window, click Apply.

It's working now. I think I'll be getting rid of Norton soon, I hate doing this every other patch. Anyway, thanks for your help, and thanks for being patient with me. I'm not too familiar with computers.
thank you Seliana, your link worked great.
Thanks Seliana and Ainia - your suggestions worked perfectly for me. For those of you concerned with leaving your machine exposed, selecting disable for only 15minutes was more than sufficient for me to get the update downloaded and installed, even on a slow connection. And if even 15minutes is too long for you, you can always go right back after the download and re-enable SONAR.
I know this patch is all geared to stop the Botters, that is fine and gr8. But I dont like the fact I have to let Blizzard scan my PC !! Not there files or folder, for programs that maybe suspicious in nature. REALLY!!! and thats there business how?
When I got the error from virus checker, I clicked "more details", then select restore file, should pop up a window that allows you to exclude wow.exe from future scans and also take it out of quarantine. After doing this the installed worked, np.
03/15/2011 12:31 PMPosted by Bigkilladk
I know this patch is all geared to stop the Botters, that is fine and gr8. But I dont like the fact I have to let Blizzard scan my PC !! Not there files or folder, for programs that maybe suspicious in nature. REALLY!!! and thats there business how?

Actually Warden scanning's been in there for a few years.

It's also written right into the EULA / TOU that you agree to at every patch they've come out with since. It only scans your memory for known keyloggers and/or viruses.

So *shrug* been there for years man.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
I had the same problem with patch 4.0.6. This did the trick. Norton allows you to select the length of time SONAR is disabled. I selected 15 minutes which was more than enough time to complete the download. Thanks for the tip.