The next possible playable race

Story Forum
Prev 1 18 19 20 23 Next
Ogres and Naga are the two major ones that I am sure the devs have considered. Also, any of the subraces (Dark Iron and Wildhammer Dwarves, Forsaken Elves, Broken Draenei, Blackrock, Dragonmaw, and Mag'har Orcs, Taunka, Forest Trolls, etc) could be made as alternates to the main races. After that, probably brand new races we've never seen or heard of before. If they can make them more distinctive, I could also see Ethereals.
I don't think they should add any new races to the game.

I would like to see more options for 'sub-race' choice during character selection, kind of like model selection.

When you choose to be a Dwarf, maybe you could choose a type of Dwarf then choose a character model that reflects that, i.e. Wildhammer, Dark Iron or whatever.

Maybe for Tauren, have options to be like the Northrend version or the Pandaren version.

If they just expand character models and adjust the starting zones to reflect more of a 'welcome to the 'dwarven nation' your training starts here, this is your heratige/background etc...

Maybe when you pick the 'Race' you are picking from a 'Race Group' or something. Possibly give the player more options for customizing the appearance of their toon.

I think that would go a long way and make not make a massive overhaul or update necessary. They would have to update starting zones and storylines to make a little more sense, but that is going to have to happen anyway as this story progresses.

Some problems with races that I have seen so far, some of them would be too big and or too oddly shaped and cause even more problems with armor and skinning. To be honest, I love the Noggenfogger Elixir because I can shrink myself and not have to be soooo big all the time.

We don't need 9 foot tall players running around, and for that matter, make the Gnomes/Goblins grow a foot for crying out loud! /=P
i dont think the Naga will ever joyn one of these factions, they are way too hated by both. and they have already allied themselves with the old Gods. It would be awesome if they did, and i would deffinatly play one, but i dont see it happen.

the highelves wont work either, since they are too few. i am aware they are in the Alliance already, but making them playable wouldnt make sence, because then suddenly there would be High Elves everywhere. there is a reason we see them so rarely, they are almost extinct.

Harpies could work IF blizz cam up with a new concept: hero race. like DK but a race, that way you could start at level 60, and the flying wouldnt be an issue. but with the lore i just dont see it happen. they are too primitive and evil, even for the Horde.

no demonic races could be played because:
1 what would that do to the warloc class?
2 no faction would accept them, the Orcs are never going to work with demons, not again. and the night elves and draenei would never ally with demons.

Ogres could happen, since they have been part of the Horde before, and some of them are today.

Pandaren would be really awesome, i dont see why they wouldnt be playable, except for the fact that the female pandaren would look weird.

Etheral i can see happen too, in fact i can imagime that they would work well in either faction.

And furlbog would make sence, i could see them on the alliance side, working with the night elves. their spirituality would be a good reason to put them in the game, now that it is more needed than ever to get in contact with nature.

A splinter group of Naga who worshiped Neptulan could go to either faction since they would be pretty upset that Their Goddess/Queen attacked and imprisoned their other God, I mean their should be SOME followers after 10,000 years of possible worship. And an ambitious leader could attempt to go on their own, it's happened in the real world, so they might go for an alliance of convenience.

Pandaren have already become playable so Furlbog are probably out.
I can tell you this. Any race Blizzard adds will have:

1. Two arms, two legs. Makes sense for two reasons: Wielding and mounts. This eliminates the likes of Nerubians from our options.
2. No free-flying (harpies, I'm looking at you).
3. Intelligence close to every other race.
5. Actions that are justifiable. Even the Forsaken - the playable race most easily viewed as "evil" - are understandable and can be related to on some level.

They also have to be something that hasn't been shown to be always chaotic evil. The orcs, Forsaken, and blood elves were either under bad leadership, mind-controlled, or both and chose to break free.

The naga, however, have had the same evil queen they worship as a diety for 10,000 years. Even if they did try to join a faction (I can't imagine why they would) they'd still have Azshara at the centre of their culture. Azshara and power addiction due to being Highborne related.

...One more thing. I'm not positive but I don't think Blizzard will let us play anything that lays eggs like naga, Nerubians, dragons, or harpies.
10/02/2012 05:41 PMPosted by Mebahiah
play anything that lays eggs

Why would this be an issue?
Ogres seem to me to be a lock for the horde. Etheral for the alliance... especially if the next expansion goes off world.

Let me also throw this out there: We know blizz is working on the next expansion and updated models. So they may just introduce the new models and subraces for the current races.
Judging from Blizzard comments there will be a fleet of either Ethereal or some other Protoss-like race. They will most likely be the next playable race.
03/23/2011 01:27 AMPosted by Felya
Honestly, I think there are enough playable races as is. If Blizzard were to add more, I'd be perfectly happy to see entirely new races, perhaps natives of whatever region such an expansion might explore.

/agree
I think the next expansion would have to leave Azeroth again, and I think The ethereal would be a good race to have from a marketing perspective. They are just cool. I was going to say they would fit in with the horde by the horde already have goblins as a sort of business race. Or maybe both could get them, after all having drunk dwarves didn't stop drunk pandaren from joining the alliance.
Ogres seem to me to be a lock for the horde. Etheral for the alliance... especially if the next expansion goes off world.

Let me also throw this out there: We know blizz is working on the next expansion and updated models. So they may just introduce the new models and subraces for the current races.

Agree lets get some Sub races playable.

Alliance

Dark Irons
Wild hammer
Frost Dwarves
The lost ones
Maybe Stromgarde, different acccents form the American and Britsh Stormwinders and Gilneans (Australian?)

Horde
Fel Orcs
Taunka
Armani Trolls?
Those Dark Angels Sylvanass took from the lich king?
Maybe Giests?
Dark Irons
Wild hammer
Frost Dwarves
The lost ones
Maybe Stromgarde, different acccents form the American and Britsh Stormwinders and Gilneans (Australian?)

Instead of Lost Ones use Broken with a Draenei model.

Horde
Fel Orcs
Taunka
Armani Trolls?
Those Dark Angels Sylvanass took from the lich king?
Maybe Giests?

Fel orcs are a no no. Brown, Brownish Orange, and Grey should be new orcs color.

Taunka and maybe Yaungol for Tauren.
Amani Trolls for Darkspear.
Undead elves for Forsaken
first we should look into potential future expansions, as undoubtedly a new race will be related, lore-wise, to the expansion

the two expansion themes i can see, realistically are an emerald dream/nightmare and a sargeras/titan/end of the legion one

first, the emerald dream: the most notable race that comes to mind when i think of the dream and nightmare that isnt playable is the satyr. two arms, 2 legs, roughly humanoid, so it seems doable. they are descendants of the kaldorei which were corrupted by sargeras. maybe a few of them rebelled, or were maybe exiled from their society? being quite hated by all playable races i think they would need a lengthy intro quest chain, like dk's do. i dont know which faciont they could belong to, maybe both (but if i had to chose one it would probably be horde)

secondly, a return of the legion. the first thought is the ethereals, as they have been seen in outland and i dont know of any lore that would say they are confined to outland (they are travelers and their homeland was destroyed, i don't know if they settled else where). if the expansion begins with the legion invading another world that we havent seen yet, possibly causing them to seek help from another magical planet (azeroth), it could get us involved with the legion again, which could give us one or more as-of-yet unnamed races to join (a neutral one, or one for each side)
From a lore standpoint, ethereals make no sense. They're the type who play both sides to benefit them. The Alliance certainly wouldn't accept that attitude, and neither would the Horde.

I would love to have arakkoa, since it's been shown that not all of them are evil and the ones who want to redeem themselves are indeed relatable. They even have a complete set of animations, their own unique language, and a unique architectural style. Also, they already wear armors in the game, so it can be shown that it would work on those models. That would be an idea for the burning legion expansion.

For an emerald dream expansion, I would have furbolgs join the Alliance. The Blackmaw came very close to joining the Alliance and they've already been shown to have at least some alliegance to the night elves. For the Horde, I think an emerald dream-esque race related to the tauren and/or trolls would work. The tauren desperately need lore and it would be interesting to see how the trolls would adapt to the Emerald Dream (and the worgen, too, of course).
10/03/2012 04:54 AMPosted by Binah
From a lore standpoint, ethereals make no sense. They're the type who play both sides to benefit them. The Alliance certainly wouldn't accept that attitude, and neither would the Horde.

You're confusing the Consortium, a GROUP of ethereals, for the entire race.

Protectorate Ethereals could easily fit in the Alliance due to their anti-void theme.
How the heck did this get necro'd? 2011. Geesh, did he Lich King himself personally pimp slap this thread back from the dead?
10/03/2012 09:16 AMPosted by Elenie
How the heck did this get necro'd? 2011. Geesh, did he Lich King himself personally pimp slap this thread back from the dead?

Who cares? Speculating about new playable/nonplayable aligned races will never not be fun.
10/03/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Skytotem

Who cares? Speculating about new playable/nonplayable aligned races will never not be fun.

Fair enough, but a new thread woulda been better in my opinion.
10/03/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Skytotem

You're confusing the Consortium, a GROUP of ethereals, for the entire race.

Protectorate Ethereals could easily fit in the Alliance due to their anti-void theme.

Which raises another question: would the protectorate, or any group of ethereals, drop everything they do to join a huge faction war?

At most, they would play both the Alliance and Horde to their own end and gtfo when things would inevitably take a turn for the worst. I don't think they would be interested in joining one side over another when it comes to something like this.
10/03/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Binah
At most, they would play both the Alliance and Horde to their own end and gtfo when things would inevitably take a turn for the worst. I don't think they would be interested in joining one side over another when it comes to something like this.

Well, their experiences with Goblins and Blood Elves left much to be desired, but we know the Cenarion Circle sought out legitimate business with them last we left off in Outland. Seems to be, forming a formal trade agreement with the Alliance (joining it), would be beneficial based on past experiences.
Which raises another question: would the protectorate, or any group of ethereals, drop everything they do to join a huge faction war?

1. Of course they wouldn't just pop in to help the Alliance fight the Horde, they would join the Alliance for whatever the goal / reasons behind the expansion they join during is, likely to combat the void/legion.

2. Again, confusing Consortium with the Protectorate.

3. The Protectorate actually killed the void lord that attacked their world in Netherstorm so they're actually pretty free at the moment, even if they don't become playable I can definitely see them saddling up with the Alliance.