Ask the Devs - Answers #2 "PvP"

General Discussion
Prev 1 17 18 19 26 Next
It's disappointing to hear of class changes being made--or not made--based on the performance of only the highest-rated players. (Mages are fine because the most highly-skilled opponents can stand toe-to-toe with them; Hunters don't need fixed because the very best hunters are difficult to deal with [as stated in previous Q&A].) Leet players only enjoy some semblance of balance while the rabble re-roll whatever is OP at the casual play level or try to get by with a gimp class.

It's disheartening to see specific pieces of sentences picked out and applied to the entire sentiment. But not surprising.

Disheartening? If there is anything in this thread "disheartening", its the answers to the questions.
03/22/2011 1:25 PMPosted by Bashiok
If we haven’t made an announcement on a topic yet, then chances are good we don’t yet think a change is necessary, or we’re not yet sure how we want to fix a problem.

Is 4+ years of players asking for any insight on AV being in the sorry state it is in right now not long enough to wait, however? Quests are still broken. Mechanics that worked in old AV don't work now because games are over too fast. NPC's die when you look at them.

Need a dog shapeshift form. I am like one with a bone. :)
A: If crowd control really was as weak in Arenas as you’re claiming, then Holy paladins would be the healer of choice and Resto druids wouldn’t have much of a role. But the Entangling Roots and Cyclone of the druid make a huge difference in Arena, and we see a lot of healing druids.

I really hope that this was a throw-away line and that developers are aware that lack of a 'cyclone-esq' spell is not what is making paladins currently the worst healer in arena (and it isn't even close) and druids the best (they might go from first to third without cyclone). This shows a lack of solid understanding of arenas today.

Overall, very disappointing questions were chosen and the answers seemed a bit out of touch as is. Just as an example, stating boomkins fair poorly in arena, but do well in bgs is faulty. Even assuming that dot dmg on lots of targets in bgs=good, boomkins have an exceptionally potent comp in arena in lsd, one that is r1 viable. Sadly, there was no real explanation or response regarding pvp philosophy or discussion of direction. I have a long series of questions, but many better phrased/more intelligent ones were in the q and a. I'm curious if any developers actively play arena or even rbgs, and if so, beyond t2 lvl? I was hoping for a little specific insight on how pvp balance was examined and fixed. Perhaps there are reasons, but things like hotfixing death's advance in a short period of time, while warriors are freely bringing back fond memories of 'wrath' burst for months, hints that pvp either isn't a priority or that there is a bit of a disconnect in determining pvp balance.
03/22/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Bashiok

Isn't that the idea?

Only when you quote sentences out of context.

wow
worst answer ever on spell pen not affecting traps...

Let's not confuse a bad answer with an answer you don't like. ;)

No confusion, its a very bad answer. It's happens to also be one I dislike. ;)

This seems to me, less like a technical limitation, and more like laziness. Not being able to get data from one place to another, in 2011, in a video game, just seems lazy to me. Maybe this a case where "the best in the industry" just isn't good enough.

Upon trap object creation, a new optional variable is created copying, pointing to, whatever, of the hunter that set it. I'm sure that when the trap is stepped on, its ran through some function that determines if its a hit or resist. You could probably copy / paste a large portion out of the current function to determine if spells are hit / miss / resists to save some time. I'd even guess that while traps are indeed objects and not players, that the object is probably "casting" some hidden spell on the encroaching player, which with the right data could be sent to the exact same function that determines if a polymorph is resisted or not.

I'm quite sure its way different than a player casting a standard spell, traps could be "oets", those inherit stats from their creator.

03/22/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
It is absolutely a problem though and we do want to fix it.

Translates to, it's not worthy of our time right now. We're doing more important things than addressing this. I'll let you guess what sorts of more important things they're working on, it's probably as good as mine.

I'm no programmer, but I do get the idea of how they work...I think. Maybe what I typed above has zero relevance to whats going on here. Not being able to reuse existing data, that seems like a bad explanation me, as to why something is technically limited. My half-witted ideas probably won't do anyone any good either.
03/22/2011 1:57 PMPosted by Bynir
If we haven’t made an announcement on a topic yet, then chances are good we don’t yet think a change is necessary, or we’re not yet sure how we want to fix a problem.

Is 4+ years of players asking for any insight on AV being in the sorry state it is in right now not long enough to wait, however? Quests are still broken. Mechanics that worked in old AV don't work now because games are over too fast. NPC's die when you look at them.

Need a dog shapeshift form. I am like one with a bone. :)

We've talked about AV plenty in the past, we didn't address it in this Q&A because we can reiterate our main points outside of these.
i think people need to quit complaining for once in their internet lives
i may be less happy with wow then i was back in bc or whatever but honestly i am happy with my classes in both pve and pvp. i play feral druid, disc priest and aff lock, none being "overpowered classes" and i am perfectly happy.

some things i could suggest for this game to become better, although im not a fan of pve, is to keep it pve oriented. make it fun for people who pvp all the time to have something else to do because at the moment i find myself only doing arena, and when i dont have an arena partner i just log off. make some hard, cool fights like illidan or algalon or the lich king were instead of making a bunch of dragons that nobody really cares about, and dont nerf the bosses. pvp has never been completely balanced as far as i know, but because of the fact that this game has become more pvp oriented people have started to complain more and more

its just an idea though
Look, you have to understand why we're upset by all this. It's one thing to bluntly state that you don't know, it's another to dance around the subject and give half answers. I know what the intent is but I don't even feel like the intent of this was fulfilled. If you don't know or have little information why answer that question? There were so many other questions that could have been answered. You can't even pretend that out of all of those questions you can only partialy answer a few. Fact is, I don't feel like I know more about the developers thoughts on the matters, all I know is what you guys don't, which is entirely opposite point of a Q&A