Ask the Devs - Answers #2 "PvP"

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
Finally, an answer to elemental!

So can we see that defensive cooldown in 4.1?

That wasn't an answer....it was more of a politican's response. Address, but do not supply real solutions or answers.
A: It’s just a technical limitation. The way the code works, the traps are objects and not part of the player. We can calculate how much damage they should do based on player stats, but it is currently impossible for them to inherit things like spell pen. Spell Penetration does nothing for your traps. We don’t even have a way to make them always hit, because then they would always hit, even against a stealthed rogue for instance (which we’re sure is a solution hunters would be perfectly happy with). We know it’s not a very satisfying answer, but at the end of the day, World of Warcraft is a piece of software and given that we have some of the best programmers in the industry working on it, there aren’t any simple solutions that are going to fix this problem in the short term. It is absolutely a problem though and we do want to fix it.

So it's a technical limitation meaning that hunters are just SOL when it comes to traps being resisted? Awesome :/
Thanks for the answer on traps.
03/22/2011 11:17 AMPosted by Moohammer
frost mages balanced well now we know who @!*%s blizzard is sucking

As soon as they said "at the high-end, we believe frost mages are balanced" I thought "Well THAT'S going to be taken out of context for months to come." Glad to see it didn't even take 10 minutes.
03/22/2011 11:24 AMPosted by Tregis
The alterac valley question was in the top 3! :E

:( Never give up!
03/22/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Bashiok

Isn't that the idea?

Only when you quote sentences out of context.

wow
worst answer ever on spell pen not affecting traps...

Let's not confuse a bad answer with an answer you don't like. ;)

....... Seriously?
03/22/2011 11:24 AMPosted by Stardusted
So basically, if you have no friends, aren't in a guild, or have either/or, but your friends/guildmates don't pvp, you don't deserve the best rewards. Thanks Blizzard, it makes it a lot easier for me to feel like a loser.

I'm not saying that thinking is wrong, but this is an online game built around group play with group oriented goals. Do what I did, make friends with some random guy and do 2v2 arenas with him every week for good gear :p

5wins is easy even with people who arent very good if you are decent.
03/22/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Gripenfelter
That wasn't an answer....it was more of a politican's response. Address, but do not supply real solutions or answers.

Except that he said they could use another defensive cooldown, which is an answer, just maybe not as solid as you would've liked. Unfortunately, they may not be at that point in the development process to be able to give a definite answer. Calm down and go outside or something.
The first Q&A wasn't too bad.

This one on the other hand, I got about as information from, as if I did not read it, kinda.

Kind of upset no AV answer...
Been waiting for that one for a lonnnnggg time.

Q: Why do hunter traps continue to be resisted when the hunter is both spell pen capped, and specced 2/2 into Survival Tactics? – Zubzar (North America/ANZ)
    A: It’s just a technical limitation. The way the code works, the traps are objects and not part of the player. We can calculate how much damage they should do based on player stats, but it is currently impossible for them to inherit things like spell pen. Spell Penetration does nothing for your traps. We don’t even have a way to make them always hit, because then they would always hit, even against a stealthed rogue for instance (which we’re sure is a solution hunters would be perfectly happy with). We know it’s not a very satisfying answer, but at the end of the day, World of Warcraft is a piece of software and given that we have some of the best programmers in the industry working on it, there aren’t any simple solutions that are going to fix this problem in the short term. It is absolutely a problem though and we do want to fix it.

Bash, I just don't understand why all of this can't be fixed by giving Hunters an actual CC that works like everyone else has in the game. Why do we have to be the unique and special snowflake's whose CC is going to be broken until Blizz comes up with the tech to fix it? Even Wyvern Baseline would be acceptable.

I just don't follow why you guys are so afraid of Hunters becoming a bit more powerful. Are you protecting sponsored Comps? That's not a bait question, but something has to be keeping you guys from buffing Hunters and it can't be the "we're afraid top end Hunters will be unbeatable". Reckful proves that you guys are ok with some players being unstoppable.

03/22/2011 11:24 AMPosted by Tregis
The alterac valley question was in the top 3! :E

How can you say that when only the devs can see the number of votes?

Btw dont be mistaken, I too really really want av changes, HATE that place.
Finally, an answer to elemental!

So can we see that defensive cooldown in 4.1?

They said they're looking into aanother survivability cooldown for elemental.

I expect to see one.