Turn Off Error Text

UI and Macro
Why is there no option to turn off the red text error messages in the middle of my screen for things like "Not enough mana" or "I don't have a target"? Seems like kind of a no-brainer.

I think I'd like to try just voice errors without text. That red text in the middle of the screen really makes me feel like my screen is cluttered.
I see that I can type the command "/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()" and it will get rid of all error text, which is wonderful! However, I do worry that it might be getting rid of some text other than errors... we'll see.

Also, it would be nice if I could set this command to run automatically when I sign in with any character. Any way to do that easily?

I've read about more complicated ways to make this work better, such as creating a macro for each of your skills that clears the UIErrorsFrame every time you use it, but that seems really impractical to use for multiple character - I'd have to create macros for a whole ton of abilities and redo all my action bars. That's more trouble than its worth to me.

It just seems like if we have an option to turn off error speech, we should have an option to turn off error text. Once you know how your targeting and resources work, the errors just become visual spam. I'd say this is a great candidate to add to the default UI's capability.
Interface -> Floating Combat text -> *uncheck whichever ones necessary*
There are heaps of addons that disable the error messaging. I use ErrorFilter because it lets you choose which messages you still see.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/errorfilter.aspx

The script you posted is more of a one time thing that you put into macros. It only removes the error message for that event and doesn't permanently disable them.
03/25/2011 4:17 PMPosted by Pyromanrogue

I don't think that turns off the error messages the OP is talking about..

Did you check for any addons that turn it off automatically, OP? I'm sure there's at least one.
There are heaps of addons that disable the error messaging. I use ErrorFilter because it lets you choose which messages you still see.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/errorfilter.aspx

The script you posted is more of a one time thing that you put into macros. It only removes the error message for that event and doesn't permanently disable them.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will check out that Addon. Though I still feel like it would be a great thing to put in the default UI options.
That script command shuts off ALL error messages as long as I'm logged in, but it resets every time you log out, and it also hides things like "Discovered: Silverpine Forest" and some other on-screen text warnings that I'd rather see. I'm sure that Addon will give me what I want.

03/25/2011 4:17 PMPosted by Pyromanrogue

And yes, I was not speaking about Floating Combat Text. Actually the problem is that the error text obscures the floating combat text.
You can make macros like I do for every spell....

#showtooltip Stormstrike
/console Sound_EnableSFX 0
/use 13
/use 14
/console Sound_EnableSFX 1
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/cast Stormstrike
/startattack

That is the one I have for stromstrike lol...

EDIT: Anything with a cooldown or mana supply that you want no error message goes between the UIError lines.
If you use addons, just use a cast bar timer like Quartz, and pay attention to it.

No more error text.
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()

08/31/2012 08:01 AMPosted by Ijukedcs

I LOVE YOU
I used the mod MoveAnything to shrink and move the Error Message frame. I think you can move the Error Message frame off the screen, change it's alpha, or make it smaller using MoveAnything. The servers are down now so I can't test that for sure, but I definitely moved the ErrorMessage frame up to the top of the screen.
If I use /script UIErrorsFrame:Hide(), how do I re-enable it so that I can see updates to the quest tracker?
12/07/2012 09:37 PMPosted by Galletas
If I use /script UIErrorsFrame:Hide(), how do I re-enable it so that I can see updates to the quest tracker?

change where it says "Hide" to "Show"

/script UIErrorsFrame:Show()

or you can use ncError which does in fact still work

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info14973-ncError.html

you can add to the filter too
I used the mod MoveAnything to shrink and move the Error Message frame. I think you can move the Error Message frame off the screen, change it's alpha, or make it smaller using MoveAnything. The servers are down now so I can't test that for sure, but I definitely moved the ErrorMessage frame up to the top of the screen.

I use MoveAnything as well. It's really simple stuff, Esc>MoveAnything>Search "Error Message">Click the Mover>Click the Hide>Unclick the Mover
thank you so much
10/07/2012 10:07 AMPosted by Jòjo

I LOVE YOU
08/31/2012 08:01 AMPosted by Ijukedcs
This works perfectly!
All this for Error Speech? ^_^

System > Sound > Uncheck Error Speech

And as stated for text:
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide();
Exactly what I was looking for. You're a STUD!
You can make it a toggle button via the following:

/script if UIErrorsFrame:IsShown() then UIErrorsFrame:Hide() else UIErrorsFrame:Show() end

Be sure to cut and paste it as one line.