Ask the Devs - Answers #3 "UI"

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 11 Next
03/28/2011 12:13 PMPosted by Xmc
Can anyone clue me into why people get so excited about being able to re-order their toons on the character selection screen? Seriously, I'm not seeing why it is generating so much excitement. I spend maybe 3 seconds on it and it's not like it's hard to figure out where my toon is. Unless of course those who are acting excited are just trolling.

If you have many characters, it'd be nice to sort them so your current main is 'always on top' - or wherever in the mix of things you prefer.

This is especially true of you play on multiple realms - when moving from realm to realm, the system auto-picks the character in the same 'order' from the top on the new realm, if possible. If you have all your mains across all realms in the first slot, great. If they're in many different places on various realms, not so great. It saves a few mouse clicks or up/down arrow clicks before hitting enter and entering the game world.

If you only have one character, I can understand why this feature is 'meh' to you.

It's a nice addition, and it's a clear-cut 'yes, this will be included in the game' answer. It might not be an "epic" addition, and sure, it's not that big a deal to select the right character as it is, but it's a definite and nice addition nonetheless.
03/28/2011 9:05 AMPosted by Bashiok
We could also make some kind of new UI (think of something simple, like the Reforging UI) to let you drag and drop the materials you want to use. The advantage of the “box” solution is we could also use it for Disenchanting.

Oh god please yes.

Q: Are there any plans to expand on the current mail system? It's rather cumbersome to have to withdraw, one-by-one, my mail when I have pages of it. – Patrïck (Latin America)

A: This sounds like it is really an Auction House problem. The mail system is intended to be a little throttled and slow to discourage spam and junk mail, and works just fine for “real” mail between friends, alts or guildies. The problem is the design choice we made to hitch the mail system to the Auction House. Players dealing with a high volume of commodities have no choice but to deal with tons and tons of mail (and this is particularly bad for diverse commodities with low margins, like glyphs). We are discussing different ways the Auction House can work, but we’re not convinced the right answer is just to make the mail system more automated.

How about picking up auction house mail directly at the auction house? Adding another tab for your expired auctions and gold pick up, as you could also set it up for easier reposting directly from this tab. It would make using the auction house much more streamlined for a casual auctioneer like me if I could push one button to repost an item at the same price I had it at before, or at a different price.
We could also make some kind of new UI (think of something simple, like the Reforging UI) to let you drag and drop the materials you want to use. The advantage of the “box” solution is we could also use it for Disenchanting.

Oh god please yes.

Q: Are there any plans to expand on the current mail system? It's rather cumbersome to have to withdraw, one-by-one, my mail when I have pages of it. – Patrïck (Latin America)

A: This sounds like it is really an Auction House problem. The mail system is intended to be a little throttled and slow to discourage spam and junk mail, and works just fine for “real” mail between friends, alts or guildies. The problem is the design choice we made to hitch the mail system to the Auction House. Players dealing with a high volume of commodities have no choice but to deal with tons and tons of mail (and this is particularly bad for diverse commodities with low margins, like glyphs). We are discussing different ways the Auction House can work, but we’re not convinced the right answer is just to make the mail system more automated.

How about picking up auction house mail directly at the auction house? Adding another tab for your expired auctions and gold pick up, as you could also set it up for easier reposting directly from this tab. It would make using the auction house much more streamlined for a casual auctioneer like me if I could push one button to repost an item at the same price I had it at before, or at a different price.

How about limiting the amount of current auctions that a single toon can have up at a time? It would limit AH spam and take the stress off of the mailman at the same time.

Q: Previously, the character was not interfered by the nameplate because there was always some space between the character and nameplates. I don’t exactly remember when but suddenly the nameplate covered the top section of the characters making it hard to identify the character/NPC’s status. I’m just wondering it was changed to be like that. – 제임스카메론 (Korea)
    A: [We’re assuming this question is referring to the V-nameplates. If not, this answer won’t make sense.] We changed the way nameplates work quite a bit in Cataclysm. One mistake we made was anchoring the nameplate to the top of the frame. This means that when you are zoomed in close to your character that the nameplate can obscure your face. In 4.1 we’re changing the anchor point to the bottom of the frame so that it will grow up as you zoom in instead of growing down.

http://i.imgur.com/xw8ax.jpg
This is what this question was asking about. I don't know if changing the anchoring or whatever will fix this, but you can clearly see that I'm not zoomed in close to anything at all. The plates just completely cover the center of the model on a lot of creatures, obscuring their animations and forcing players to rely even more on mods to tell them what's going on instead of having them look at the world itself.
At the speed you guys are turning out these Ask the Devs answers, it makes me wonder where on earth the answers to the Creative Development thread are.

I realize that they are different areas, involving different people, and there were a metric ton of lore questions. But still...its getting a bit sad. Going on 9 weeks since the lore thread was "closed."
So no news on the Boss information feature that was discussed at Blizzcon? I feel like a sad Pandarian who ran out of Highland Spirits :(
Thank you Blizzard. Great answers.
If you’re trying to just circumvent the 10% Auction House cut, we don’t really want to encourage that.

Because I'm feeling nit-picky and peckish, and like to nibble at the hand that feeds me, just like my cats do - 10% Auction House cut? I thought the home cities took 5%, and the goblins 15%?

Or is this an upcoming change we should worry about, and ready our profit margins for? :-)
03/28/2011 12:13 PMPosted by Xmc
Can anyone clue me into why people get so excited about being able to re-order their toons on the character selection screen? Seriously, I'm not seeing why it is generating so much excitement. I spend maybe 3 seconds on it and it's not like it's hard to figure out where my toon is. Unless of course those who are acting excited are just trolling.

There are quite a number of us out there with varying levels of obsessive-compulsive tendencies where things being out of order is mentally irking.
If you aren’t in the game industry (or maybe even the software industry at large) you might think it’s as simple as burying the check box deep in the options or adding a big, red “I screwed up! Please reset me!” button. But we can assure you that it’s not.

Weird, that's exactly the way you reset the UI in Rift.
On the other hand, when addons are too helpful, they are playing the game for you and you’re just doing what the addon tells you to do. When the mod tells you so much information about the fight that you don’t even really need to pay attention to what is happening in the world at all, then we feel that crosses the line.

Does anyone know what addons he is talking about?
Why require you to collect bear asses instead of just incrementing the bear asses counter?

I interrupt my regularly scheduled reading to say,

lol
03/28/2011 1:30 PMPosted by Alyzee

There was this one Paladin addon, "You have really bad timing." It would tell you which spell to hit when to optimize your DPS. I think he may be referring to addons such as this.
This was SUPER helpful and a very fun read! Thanks SOOOOO much for posting this!
Q: Would you please implement a feature that allows players to change the order of their characters on the Character select screen? – 흑풍육손 (Korea), Fanahlia (North America/ANZ), Perle (Latin America)

A: Sure. Does 4.2 work for you? :)

Just adding my OMG YAY to the pile of OMG YAYs.

Now back to reading the post~
03/28/2011 11:58 AMPosted by Volathis
If you are going to take the time to code this why not just remove this locked bag and make it a normal bag slot? Give new characters a 16 slot bag in their inventory on creation and let players upgrade as they go just like all the other slots.

On the Backpack issue:
It would be great if the backpack slot worked just like other bag slots.. except that there is a problem. Most people would never have this problem, but imagine someone wants to upgrade all of their bags. They go to the bank, unload everything in their bags, and then proceed to sell their old bags to a vendor (to make room for the new ones of course). Now they go to the AH and buy 5 shiney, new Netherweave bags. This person is so excited when they run back to the mailbox to retrieve their new bags.. Uh.. oh.. you have new bags waiting for you in the mailbox, but you don't have any bag space to get them out of the mail. Now your stuck with no bags, and no way to equip any bags.
03/28/2011 1:30 PMPosted by Alyzee
On the other hand, when addons are too helpful, they are playing the game for you and you’re just doing what the addon tells you to do. When the mod tells you so much information about the fight that you don’t even really need to pay attention to what is happening in the world at all, then we feel that crosses the line.

the way decursive used to function, way back in the day is a good example.

it was basically a button you hit to dispell anyone in the party who had a debuff, regardless of who you had targeted.