Sacrifist's Profession Guide for New Players

New Player Help and Guides
04/01/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Icedragon
I was on the fence about whether to include this. I chose not to mention Blacksmithing and Leatherworking specializations because they've been trivialized (or removed?), though I suppose the spirit or Engineering's specializations was never to produce endgame gear like BS or LW, so it can't really be outdated. Adding a blurb. Also adding in the Gnomish Army Knife.

Specializations for BS, LW, and tailoring were removed entirely in 4.0. The quests for Gnomish and Goblin engineering were also removed in 4.0 and there aren't any items that require a specialization to use in engineering, so Goblin/Gnomish Engineering specializations were also removed.

I knew you could buy schematics from both the Goblin and Gnomish engineering trainer now but I thought the specialties still exist as there's some world drops that require one or the other specialties. e.g. Schematic: World Enlarger
I knew you could buy schematics from both the Goblin and Gnomish engineering trainer now but I thought the specialties still exist as there's some world drops that require one or the other specialties. e.g. Schematic: World Enlarger

Considering that the quests for the specializations were removed and none of the other professions (other than Alchemy) have specializations anymore, I would think that the Goblin/Gnomish Engineering specs went away as well. I can't find a blue post or anything definitive on it though so I could be wrong.
04/01/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Icedragon
Specializations for BS, LW, and tailoring were removed entirely in 4.0. The quests for Gnomish and Goblin engineering were also removed in 4.0 and there aren't any items that require a specialization to use in engineering, so Goblin/Gnomish Engineering specializations were also removed.

Thanks for the informaiton on BS and LW. Though I'm hesitant to question your accuracy, items like Ultrasafe Transporter: Gadgetzan still seem to require specializations, per wowhead. Comments as of 4.0.3 seem to indicate that specializations are still trainable.
Liked your guide Sacrifist. Hopefully it will become a sticky soon.
Giving 'er one more shot at the front page, and then letting it die. Might give it a go on the Profession forums also; would hate to let all this work just hang around for a couple days.
04/01/2011 10:36 PMPosted by Icedragon
Considering that the quests for the specializations were removed and none of the other professions (other than Alchemy) have specializations anymore, I would think that the Goblin/Gnomish Engineering specs went away as well. I can't find a blue post or anything definitive on it though so I could be wrong.

Engineering specializations are still here, don't know about how to get a one if the quests were removed, but theres still gnome/goblin only Cata items. I'm personally a gnomish engineer.

Edit1: Also I beleive pressing 'k' will open the proffesions and secondary proffesions window.

Edit2: So who's making the class choosing guide?
I like this; I mean I'm not a new player by any means, but this is so well thoughtout and put together. Nice guide.
04/05/2011 12:09 PMPosted by Druides

"Can't Find the Right Class/Race/Alt?" :
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021054075
04/05/2011 02:27 PMPosted by Nok

"Can't Find the Right Class/Race/Alt?" :
<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021054075">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021054075</a>

I ment with detailed information on each class/spec.
I haven't fully read your guide yet, but I'm well into it and it's great and generally very well-written. I just wanted to raise a minor stylistic note: Since this is intended as a newbie guide, you should probably avoid or define game jargon ("mob" for example). Quibbling aside, I can see you put a great deal of effort into this guide, and it shows. Hopefully it'll find a sticky spot in the forum to stick in.
Wonderful stuff. Can this be stickied?

Is there a way to change professions once you've chosen one? Or are you stuck with it forever?

Click the "Request Sticky" link in the upper right corner of the page.

Is there a way to change professions once you've chosen one? Or are you stuck with it forever?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Profession#Unlearning_a_profession
Thanks for the help, on both questions. This has to be the kindest forum I've seen in MMORPGs.
Thanks for the help, on both questions. This has to be the kindest forum I've seen in MMORPGs.

We try.
04/05/2011 04:12 PMPosted by Reddist
I haven't fully read your guide yet, but I'm well into it and it's great and generally very well-written. I just wanted to raise a minor stylistic note: Since this is intended as a newbie guide, you should probably avoid or define game jargon ("mob" for example). Quibbling aside, I can see you put a great deal of effort into this guide, and it shows. Hopefully it'll find a sticky spot in the forum to stick in.

I did try to avoid jargon for the most part, but it appears 'mob' snuck in, probably a few times. Thanks for the heads up - fixing it now.

I see Harlan has already answered your question, but I'm going to add this in also! Can't believe I missed it.

EDIT: Updated to remove some jargon and added a short piece on Unlearning a Profession at the end of section I. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!
04/05/2011 12:09 PMPosted by Druides

I did a bit on DKs in an old thread:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1965625153#4

Is something like this what you were looking for? Would consider doing this for all classes if I thought there was real interest and a lack of other, similar resources.
Nice guide, Sacrifist. I am voting "Sticky" as soon as I can find the button.....
04/06/2011 04:25 PMPosted by Oxx
Nice guide, Sacrifist. I am voting "Sticky" as soon as I can find the button.....

Below your character's portrait in the upper right corner of the forum. It's just yellow text rather than an actual button so it's hard to spot.
Thank you so much. I found this very useful.

A NooB DK.
Ikshvaku
Thank you so much. I found this very useful.

A NooB DK.
Ikshvaku

Glad you liked it!

(also glad you bumped it)