Enable Peer-to-Peer Transfer question

Technical Support
Under Downloader Preferences ...

what are the repercussions of disabling the Peer-to-Peer transfer option?
will I still get notification of new Patches when starting the Launcher?
will downloads of Patches still occur?
You may turn P2P off. You'll still get notifications of patches, however, the download of same may be a lot slower than leaving P2P on.
irc://chat.freenode.net/wowtech
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=wowtech
03/31/2011 07:41 AMPosted by Drezbek
You may turn P2P off. You'll still get notifications of patches, however, the download of same may be a lot slower than leaving P2P on.
So ... in theory I can leave P2P off permanently, and then if & when I get a notification of a new Patch I can re-enable P2P to achieve a faster download of the available Patch, correct?
It really depends.

I usually get a much faster download from having P2P off and downloading direct from blizzard's CDN Akamai.
It really depends.

I usually get a much faster download from having P2P off and downloading direct from blizzard's CDN Akamai.
Well ... I guess I'll just leave it off for now and try it when the new Patch comes out.

Turning off P2P Transfer in my Download Preferences has significantly improved my Latency over and above what the Leatrix Latency Fix did previously ... enough improvement to convince me to deal with a little inconvenience on my part in downloading patches
It really depends.

Well ... I guess I'll just leave it off for now and try it when the new Patch comes out.

Turning off P2P Transfer in my Download Preferences has significantly improved my Latency over and above what the Leatrix Latency Fix did previously ... enough improvement to convince me to deal with a little inconvenience on my part in downloading patches

Whats your ISP?

Whats your ISP?
Comcast ... but all traces to WoW servers run thru AT&T which appears to be the issue.
That makes no sense really that turning off p2p fixed it unless you're actually patching right now?

Besides... That turns off while you're in-game, and continues downloading on port 80 via stream if you log in before finishing the download/patch process...

You shouldn't have wow open, and the launcher open at the same time..
That makes no sense really that turning off p2p fixed it unless you're actually patching right now?

Besides... That turns off while you're in-game, and continues downloading on port 80 via stream if you log in before finishing the download/patch process...

You shouldn't have wow open, and the launcher open at the same time..
You don't understand ... I tested and made notes over a full day's time on World Server latencies (with P2P enabled) prior to exiting the game for the evening, then the following day I disabled the P2P toggle and then logged in to WoW and again made notes as to World Server latencies for the better part of the day.

There was a significant difference, with latencies being lower with P2P disabled. I understand that there shouldn't be a difference but in my experience, under my limited testing, there was in fact a significant difference.

BTW ... I did not have WoW and the launcher open at the same time.
burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
You don't understand ... I tested and made notes over a full day's time on World Server latencies (with P2P enabled) prior to exiting the game for the evening, then the following day I disabled the P2P toggle and then logged in to WoW and again made notes as to World Server latencies for the better part of the day.

There was a significant difference, with latencies being lower with P2P disabled. I understand that there shouldn't be a difference but in my experience, under my limited testing, there was in fact a significant difference.

What were the weather conditions like? Are there any points where the signal becomes wireless? One day with each option does not allow for a statistical norm to emerge. Was there anyone else on the network each time? If so were they doing the exact same things?
I have been trying to see if p2p slows patching or not and it is hard to tell, especially since at some point most connections are wireless and many radio frequencies will interfere with the quality of the signal.
i cant stop staring and girls butts all day long even though i have a gf
oops mt