[Launcher] Error Code: 0x85100086

Mac Technical Support
I let the PTR launcher run over night (still was not completely downloaded after running all night, but was in the green). I close it this morning and then tried to launch the game from the normal launcher, but got a small window pop up -

Launcher cannot obtain patching information. Please check your Internet configuration.

I then tried to start up from the game app itself and got this error -

Streaming Initialization Error

Failed to initialize WoW.mfil.
Details:
[2] err=0 test=Manifest::ReadDirectFile -
ReadDirectFileFromBuffer failed
[1] err=0 text=ManifestInfo::ReadDirectFileFromBuffer -
manifest_partial tag failed
[0] err=8 text=FileManifest::ReadIndirectFile - Download

After closing this window, the World of Warcraft Error Reporter opened. This is a truncated quote from that -

Project: 1010
Build: 13623
Application: World of WarCraft
Configuration: Retail
Version: 4.0.6.13623
Branch: branches/wow-patch-4_0_6_A-branch
Revision: 127954
Code Type: X86
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Executable UUID: 357171A6-A831-BBBB-07E7-CDFACAB076BC
Virtual Memory: 969.10 MB
App Up Time: 0 days, 0 hours, 5 minutes, 20 seconds
System Up Time: 0 days, 0 hours, 24 minutes, 29 seconds
Locale: enUS
User:
Computer:
Exe Built: Feb 9 2011 19:09:15
Free Disk Space: 190.97 GB
Streaming Build: No

=========================================================
Assertion Failed!

App: /Applications/World of Warcraft/World of Warcraft.app
File: (unknown)
Line: 0
Error Code: 0x85100086
Time: 2011-04-03 06.06.18 PDT

Assertion: Failed to open archive Data/wow-update-13164.MPQ. Missing or corrupted data.
Unable to recover using data from the network. Please check your Internet connection and try again.

Debug Details:

[0] err=4 text=Posix Open - Data/wow-update-13164.MPQ.writeCacheBackup
[2] err=0 text=Manifests::ReadDirectFile - ReadDirectFileFromBuffer failed
[1] err=0 text=ManifestInfo::ReadDirectFileFromBuffer - manifest_partial tag failed
[0] err=8 text=FileManifest::ReadIndirectFile - DownloadURL failed - http://ak.worldofwarcraft.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod-retail/NA/12911.streaming.2/wow-13623-065082FD205E4C7B578FCB3E88C9E262.mfil
Storm Error Msg:
Crashed Thread: 0x00000207

I've tried searching the forums for simular posts, but the new forum search engine doesn't seem to allow limiting searches to forum posts only. I have tried restarting my Mac and taken out the WTF folder and gotten the same results.

EDIT: I also ran the Repair app.
Same thing happening here, on two different Macs. Just started this morning.
I have the same error (different Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a).
It's apparently effecting folks with AT & T DSL

Can you guys confirm what ISP you use and what service you get off them ?

Also what general area you are in.

Here's the thread on the main tech support forums :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2325036441?page=1

And the latest blue suggestion :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2325036441?page=2#25

Coming up with a solution would be interesting. I have a feeling it's got something to do with what IP address ak.worldofwarcraft.com.edgesuite.net is mapping to. Either a traceroute or nslookup would help with that.

But that server I've just listed is an Akami web server which means its meant to get you to a server that's close to you. Not sure if manually mapping the IP address to the us.scan.worldofwarcraft.com via the Hosts file would work either.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
That solved it for me. Time Warner Cable, San Diego user.
Anybody know if this has happened before or if this will just blow over and fix itself? I really don't want to mess with my comp settings. :(
Still no luck....
From http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2325036441?page=3
Success in connecting with the following OpenDNS entries. :)

208.67.222.222 (resolver1.opendns.com)
208.67.220.220 (resolver2.opendns.com)

This worked for me in my Network preferences.

• Open System Preferences
• Click on Network
• copy/paste 208.67.222.222 to DNS server

THIS!!!!WIN! WOrked like a charm. Thank you so much
Same thing is happening with me I havent played in about three months since january and I tried opening the same launcher from the past and I get this error

Streaming Initialization error
Failed to initiaize WoW/mfil.
Details:
[2] err=0 text=Manifest::ReadDirectFile-
ReadDirectFileFromBuffer Failed
[1] err=0 text=ManifestInfo::ReadDirectFileFromBuffer-
manifest_partial tag failed
[0] err=8 text=FileManifest::ReadIndirectFil- Download

then I tried reinstalling cataclysm and it game me a new launch short cut on my desktop and when I tried opening it said to check my internet connection or firewall because it couldnt obtain patch note information. Its not my firewall because I allowed all incoming connection. I also cant do the DNS trick that seems to be working for everyone because I use Wi-Fi and it doesnt let me edit. Also tried the repair app and it says repair complete but gives me the same patch note error.

also tried re downloading the client for the Mac and all it says is "connecting to sever" and it will freeze there or give me the check your internet connection and firewall.

So much for wanting to play again!!!!

im running Mac OS X 10.5.8
Success in connecting with the following OpenDNS entries. :)

208.67.222.222 (resolver1.opendns.com)
208.67.220.220 (resolver2.opendns.com)

This worked for me in my Network preferences.

• Open System Preferences
• Click on Network
• copy/paste 208.67.222.222 to DNS server

I got the same error; I'm on a macbook with at&t dsl internet provider.
This fix worked for me as well! Thanks guys for the help with this error.
<3
Using a public DNS server (Google, in my case) solved the problem immediately. I put in the IP, hit OK, and started WoW right up after 30 minutes of errors and no luck.
I had the same error. I ran my Malware program and found adware, removed it, and everything runs fine again.
Quoth im suffering the EXACT same thing. At the moment im thinking the game might be bugged.
the GAME isn't bugged, several DNS servers are hosed. What i suspect is that blizz might have changed IP or servers, and many DNS servers have obsolete entires for new address cause they suck and need updating.
04/04/2011 06:52 PMPosted by Omegal
the GAME isn't bugged, several DNS servers are hosed. What i suspect is that blizz might have changed IP or servers, and many DNS servers have obsolete entires for new address cause they suck and need updating.

Partially correct.

ak.worldofwarcraft.com.edgesuite.net is an Akamai CDN server that every instance of wow connects to when you start up the game. If it can't connect to it it bleets. An Akamai server will always give a different IP address depending on where you are in the world.

Somehow a IP address for an Akamai Server that wasn't part of the active Akami CDN network got put in for the local mirror server for certain folks. Given the nature of DNS this got propagated to other ISP's DNS.

Thanks Blu for communicating this over to the Mac side. I was out for the weekend... You're a life saver. Possibly the orange flavor one.
I'm one of the four sheep of the apocalypse.
BRAAAAAAIIIINNNSSSS!
04/05/2011 07:13 AMPosted by TonyM
Thanks Blu for communicating this over to the Mac side. I was out for the weekend... You're a life saver. Possibly the orange flavor one.

Yes my explanation is good but some credit has to be given to Quoth.

He was the one that kept an eye on the thread in the other tech support forums and let us know a solution as soon as one was found.

(::) (::) <---------------- cookies for Quoth