Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 25 Next
It was a fun read... but seems kind of brief though. I still like the Devs getting back to us.

My favorite line:

A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character.

I really, really hope you mean this and I hope you know it's not just in terms of "looks" although that is a huge part of it. Too much of this game is predetermined.
I just want to know why I can't find books in Org anymore......Stormwind still has a library right?

Right?!!?! books are cool.

Well, they are Orcs... And under the command of Garrosh...

Hellscream's eyes are upon you... and NOT on books!!
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that.

I honestly don't think players would toss such a feature aside. It's true that end-game players would have less opportunities to change their color, but as content is release and new armor comes, I'm willing to bet a high majority will make use of a new dye system. And leveling up.. lots of use.
04/05/2011 11:20 AMPosted by Barand
Why is Cookie's Cutter no longer a rolling pin? It's hilarious. Dude is cooking himself during the fight. Why is he handing out any item that looks "cool" ?

Because it's kinda pre-raid BiS for dwarves and humans using 1 handers strength weapons, getting both expertise and the extra damage from a slow swing. Blizz doesn't want BiS weapons to be stupid looking.

04/05/2011 11:24 AMPosted by Airbase
animations get expensive to produce.

Should never be a problem.

Expensive in time, not in money.

Anyway, I was incredibly disappointed to see that they didn't talk about a potential tank legendary.
inside jokes (Chestplate of Hubris),

I admit to being curious where this comes from...

I think it came from the multiple threads that were created a few months back that kept accusing WoW developers, CMs, and perhaps even their faily dogs of "hubris". There were even a few very long threads that came from that, which contained much unintended hilarity as not everyone used the term correctly.

The term Hubris then kinda became a minor forum meme where people joking around would accuse other people of hubris for silly things.

Threads like this one, but not limited to it:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1660221627?page=1
Q: Can we see gear won via need rolls become soulbound? - Lorinall (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. We plan on implementing a system where winning an item via Need (when using the Dungeon Finder Need Before Greed loot system) will make a BoE item soulbound. We hope to have this working for the 4.2 patch.

To expand on that idea in case it’s not obvious, we don’t think players should be able to claim certain loot drops based on their class if their only intent is to sell the item. If you want to use the item yourself, awesome, go ahead and roll Need on it and you’ll get preference over players who can’t use that armor type. But if all you want to do is run to the Auction House, then everyone should have equal dibs.

Very happy with this.

Me too.
04/05/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Quard
Why is Cookie's Cutter no longer a rolling pin? It's hilarious. Dude is cooking himself during the fight. Why is he handing out any item that looks "cool" ?

Because it's kinda pre-raid BiS for dwarves and humans using 1 handers strength weapons, getting both expertise and the extra damage from a slow swing. Blizz doesn't want BiS weapons to be stupid looking.

Anyway, I was incredibly disappointed to see that they didn't talk about a potential tank legendary.

^this
04/05/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Quard

What tanking legendary?
Q: Is it possible to let the players create/edit their own looks? - Zed Loft (Taiwan), Vysha (NA/ANZ), Ráchel (EU|German)

A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

Again, it seems as though the developers have a fundamental disconnect from the players on this issue. Who considers aesthetics gameplay? The point is that it's a matter of appreciation, quality of life, sheer enjoyment, etc. I don't need an engrossing, deeply meaningful system of chocies to pick an outfit, I need it to be something I like. Why do you think forcing people to wear things they don't like makes for any more compelling gameplay? How is that any more likely to keep players "attracted to a feature?" What is attractive about the game being, literally, unattractive?

If you actually hear us loud and clear, you'd realize everyone and their mother is quite attracted to the idea of being able to customize. I'm sorry improving your decades-behind level of customization is considered an overbearing expense.
04/05/2011 11:30 AMPosted by Brewmaster
What tanking legendary?

exactly
Belt reduction ok but not shoulders! I love my big shoulders !
04/05/2011 11:32 AMPosted by Druishortho
What tanking legendary?

exactly

That was kinda my point. :/
Q: Can we see gear won via need rolls become soulbound? - Lorinall (NA/ANZ)

A: Yes. We plan on implementing a system where winning an item via Need (when using the Dungeon Finder Need Before Greed loot system) will make a BoE item soulbound. We hope to have this working for the 4.2 patch.

To expand on that idea in case it’s not obvious, we don’t think players should be able to claim certain loot drops based on their class if their only intent is to sell the item. If you want to use the item yourself, awesome, go ahead and roll Need on it and you’ll get preference over players who can’t use that armor type. But if all you want to do is run to the Auction House, then everyone should have equal dibs.

Easily the best news of the day. Huge thanks.
This is good :)
I imagine if they made an apperance tablike many people want, the people who like the look of the new gear will show it, but the people who like some of the older gearsets, will look like they are wearing those (I personally find the blue Scourgestalker to be awesome looking, while the lightning Merloc is just.....)
I enjoyed the customization on armor and weapons that the "Aion" game provided.

Allowing you to make any piece of armor / weapon adopt the same model as another and in the process destorying the original item.

Then you could have players with the same loots but looking very different.