Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 25 Next
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art.

I'm not sure that more is needed. The thing I look for is whether my gear matches or not. Last expansion's PvP sets were well done. My mage was sporting pieces from two or three different seasons, yet it all blended together reasonably well. I'd like to see non-heroic tier gear blend a little better with heroic, and class-based tier sets that are cooler versions of the previous tier, that won't look dumb when the two tiers are mixed. Something I'd really like is a feature that "auto adjusts" the color/size/texture of your gear for a more contiguous look.
Q: Is there any chance we could have caster weapons involved in casting animations? It would look cool to be holding a staff and casting a spell through it, at least as a customization option.

Please! I would LOVE for this to happen i hate the look of staffs across my characters back while he/she is casting!
04/05/2011 11:59 AMPosted by Verrin
My hero! I'm a DRUID, and I long for the days of tier 1 and tier 2 looks. If you don't know why I'm QQ'ing look up tier 2 for the dru, especially and tell me it's not win!

I love Druid Tier 2! Walking around IF seeing somebody in that made my day back in Vanilla. The only one I liked better was Paladin Tier 2.

Speaking of... bring back the armor set viewer? I kinda miss scanning through different armor sets and seeing what they looked like on different races (gnomes in Warrior Tier ftw)
There is a lot of art, and some of it looks fantastic! The problem is we don't get to see it often. This is because people go for the tier sets and raid gear and BiS. So everyone ends up looking the same, and missing the art.
LOL leave it to blizzard to answer most things with,"UUUHHHHH that'd take to much work." Here's a thought why don't you take some of the millions you make in a month and idk hire some more people. PS JUST changing the color of current armor is stupid why not let players skin their armor to look like armor that already exists in game. You already have the skins blizzard, look I took out some work for you.
04/05/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Lunariä
I think you guys know quite well that the community is NOT asking for dyes. We are asking for aesthetic freedom on WHAT gear we wear not the COLOR of the gear you force on us.

Agreed, what most of us want is some way of takeing the art that is already in the game that we like and useing it without los of stats.
Dyes on top of that would be nice, but not what needs to begin with.

There has been many ways of doing this that has been descused;form Equipment slots that are used only for apperence(easiest), to reforging the item to look like another peice of the same gear.(harder) Please stop with the runaround and give us some real reason it hasn't been done yet.

As for the barber shop, just keep adding things to it and it will continue to be used even more.(ie more hair, facial hair,earings, horns, tatoos, ect..)
Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it?
Absolutely. =)

I just want to chime in here to let you know how much I love the Barber Shop, vanity/fashion items, and all the other little things you throw into the game that let you customize your character's appearance and — especially — change it up when you get bored with your current look.

Call me names if you wish, but I'm a pixel fashionista and it means alot to me to be able to do this kind of stuff. Here is one player, at least, who finds WoW much more fun with the Barber Shop in place.

As far as being more likely to keep playing — think of it like gearing and enchanting. Technically that 50 Agility wrist enchant is like what, +100 DPS (or whatever), so why not skip it? But you can't think of it that way. It all adds up and the cumulative effect is what matters. So in that sense, yes, aesthetic features — simplistic or not — emphatically do contribute to my continued play. =)
every paladin in this game will be wearing some sort of judgement gear if the put the gear change thing in
04/05/2011 12:06 PMPosted by Aqualad
I'm not sure that more is needed. The thing I look for is whether my gear matches or not.

Completely agree, I've been playin since launch and the ONLY two times I have had gear actually blend and look good is when I was in full ICC 25 and right now with arena gear. Twice out of this many years of play, that's saying blizz has a major issue with their design team.
but understand that we have so many races now (and two sexes for all existing races) that the animations

Am I the only one that took this little bit to mean that they have races that are going to be all of one sex?
04/05/2011 12:16 PMPosted by Goarbane
every paladin in this game will be wearing some sort of judgement gear if the put the gear change thing in

That's probably true. But then it's by choice. They'd wear it because they want to, not because it is the best in slot item for them.
04/05/2011 12:16 PMPosted by Goarbane

As opposed to every paladin in the game wearing some variation of T11 or the dungeon plate that's the same models for every armor type in nondescript palette swaps?

You can't really prove this assertion and, as covered by Elivana, at least then it'd be by choice.
The thing that I have a lot of trouble understanding is this. Blizzard has always been incredibly fussy and thoughtful about their artwork themes and animations. Balance Druid moonkin form just seems to run totally contrary to all of it.

When will features like the appearance of your character, the artwork of his gear, or even the barbershop be enabled for folks who play Balance druids? I'm sure the artists don't have a rule that says "we like to put a lot of effort into shoulder and belt graphics, except for balance druids"...

This model is at least 5 years old, the animations are clumsy, and I think a simpler long term solution is just to use a particle effect like you do for shadow priests. Then add a glyph which will allow people loyal to the old graphic to use it if they like.
Q: Is it possible to let the players create/edit their own looks? - Zed Loft (Taiwan), Vysha (NA/ANZ), Ráchel (EU|German)

A: As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

We also think it's fair to argue that the game just needs more armor and weapon art. As we said above, we deliver a lot of art these days, but we also produce an enormous number of new items every expansion or patch and it’s understandably disappointing whenever items use the same art. It would be really cool if not every mage or priest converged on the same look after a given expansion or patch.

I wouldn't mind if a tailor had a dyeing ability.....we already have dies in the game.....purplely green brownish shoulder pads aren't appealing.
04/05/2011 11:39 AMPosted by Aureva
This perhaps, should have been worded a little differently.

We agree. We certainly could have worded the sentence better, or at least provided more clarity on what "expensive" meant in the context of that specific response. In this case, it referred to time invested (as Sabiras properly deduced), not simply money spent. Animations are an important element of design, but they require a lot of time and attention to do well.

I've gone ahead and made an edit to the original post to avoid further confusion, but I also wanted to call out why it was made. Thanks for the feedback, too! We really do appreciate this kind of constructive criticism, as it'll help us improve these Q&As going forward. :)
animations get expensive to produce.

Should never be a problem.

Expensive in time, not in money.[/quote]

Time is money, friend. It's a saying because it's true. If they don't have the time to make a decent Dance Studio/caster weapon animations, it's because they're not willing to hire more people.
04/05/2011 11:47 AMPosted by Vierra
Also...i do not believe that giving us an appearance tab will cost that much. Just saying.

No doubt you have extensive experience in this area - designing both appearance and function.

04/05/2011 12:25 PMPosted by Deserves
Time is money, friend. It's a saying because it's true. If they don't have the time to make a decent Dance Studio/caster weapon animations, it's because they're not willing to hire more people.

I don't know what is behind it, but I'm smart enough to know that your opinion is speculation.
I have an idea for Spirit gear plate/mail

Make 2 separate model for each version of gear as it is right now but make the gear turn either into mail model and/or plate model pending on who wins the roll.

Either way it's all magic armor anyways and they all conform to whoever wears it whether it's a dranei or human.

As there is only 1 spec that needs spirit plate and only 2 specs that need spirit mail. This will kill off spirit plate and make a separate category for healadins and caster shamans alike.

# Specs uses combo of gear

Plate/str - 5
Plate/spirit - 1
Plate/stam - 3

Mail/agil - 4
Mail/spirit - 2

Leather/agil - 5
Leather/spirit - 2

Cloth/spirit - 3
Cloth/hit - 6