Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 25 Next
In terms of the appearance tab...

I understand the reluctance to implement something that would allow drastic change to a character's appearance. People like the ability to customize, but perhaps there should be some expense to that - and that expense is stats. Yes, a lot of people play solely PVE, but for those who do not, you certainly notice when a base is protected by one character in tier 3984392473 gear, as opposed to quest reward greens. If you have the ability to alter your appearance, you are essentially giving PVP'ers a form of manipulation.

In that respect, I do agree that coloring is more logical. This is the Plate gear you gained from the encounter. You want to change it to Cloth, it's not the same gear anymore. Changing the color of an item would have no effect on the integrity of the gear.
The Barber Shop is a freaken great! It adds so much to the game! The problem with it now is lazy dev team! You stop adding styles and colors it's all the same ol same old. YOUR FAULT DEVS NOT OURS!

Add more styles and colors!

Make it part of the achievements. Have achievements unlock news styles in the barber shop.

It is definitely a cop-out to try and lay blame on the Barber Shop. Choosing between the same 6 pre-rendered styles for your race isn't remotely comparable to the appearance tab, something people who "hear us loud and clear" really ought to be aware of.

Yes, a lot of people play solely PVE, but for those who do not, you certainly notice when a base is protected by one character in tier 3984392473 gear, as opposed to quest reward greens. If you have the ability to alter your appearance, you are essentially giving PVP'ers a form of manipulation.

Dog forbid PVP be a game of skill and outthinking an opponent rather than a matter of seeing who has better gear, right?

Dog forbid anyone acknowledge the appearance tab has included the suggestion that it be something a player can turn off, wholly defeating the visual recognition nonsense argument, since at least two years ago.
04/05/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Haust
Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that.

I honestly don't think players would toss such a feature aside. It's true that end-game players would have less opportunities to change their color, but as content is release and new armor comes, I'm willing to bet a high majority will make use of a new dye system. And leveling up.. lots of use.

If anything, make it part of alchemy or something. Armor dyes that you can make from herbs or pigments. This could introduce another interesting aspect into Azeroth's economy. Alchemy and inscription both use herbalism, but they don't really need anything from each other (I haven't gotten either to super high levels, but this could be wrong). Inscriptors mill herbs and sell the pigments to Alchemists for profit, and Alchemists make dyes that literally everyone would use.

I don't know how much coding would be needed (I don't even know much of what code WoW is based off of, but I'm about to start my studying for my degree in Computer Science soooooo), but it'd be even more interesting if different combinations of pigments make different dyes. Pigment A plus Pigment B gives you Pigment C, while Pigment A plus Pigment C gives you Pigment D.

Needless to say, if armor coloring was introduced into the game, regardless of how it's implemented, I would end up using it a lot.
04/05/2011 11:18 AMPosted by Drbad
It really disappoints me when they reference finances as a reason for not doing anything. At this point, I really don't think money should stop them from doing anything. They have enough money to do whatever they want.

Where did you see anything about money? Please link that quote.
Also throwing my voice in for support of the barbershop. I agree with others who say it added a lot to the game.
Seriously people. Just because you personally "feel like" Blizzard has a lot of money, doesn't mean they do, or can spend it on whatever you feel like they should, if they do.

I'd be surprised if anyone saying "Blizzard has a lot of money" has actually ever been a part of running a business day to day.

To say they don't have a lot of money would be asinine. How about instead of creating blizz store pets/mounts that generate them even more money they spend some of that time/money updating character models or giving weapons spell animations. People aren't asking for the moon here.

Nice generalization too.

If you're going to talk about "a lot" of money, you're going to have to quantify that. And I personally didn't make any comments about how much money Blizzard has.

Was my generalization wrong in your case? Have you run a business? Had to answer questions in a stockholder meeting? Answered to a board of directors?
Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time.

It's pretty disappointing to hear you guys basically say that you're hesitant to implement quality of life changes that don't result in gameplay. I can understand the thought process and I appreciate that you only got so many people and so much time to spend on stuff, but at this point I'm more likely to quit because I'm tired of lookin' like a hobo after six years than I am because you went another couple months without releasin' another tier of raid content.

I spent more time in the Barbershop so far than I ever did on the Argent Tournament raid content, for instance, and I'll probably keep goin' back to the barber as long as you keep me on the hook. It's somethin' I'm gonna use again. Meanwhile I'm probably never gonna screw wit' the Trial of the Grand Crusader.

OK, I take that back. If you put an Appearance Tab in the game I might do the Trial for the t9 armor models. It's like addin' that customization feature would result in gameplay, or somethin'.
mkay this and thought (and a ring around the rose bush we go (again)) Btw since it didn't seem to bother for anyone to asked before closer of the ask part or perhaps was over looked. When are ya'll gana finish putting sockets on the crafted agility gear.

04/05/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Haust
Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that.

I honestly don't think players would toss such a feature aside. It's true that end-game players would have less opportunities to change their color, but as content is release and new armor comes, I'm willing to bet a high majority will make use of a new dye system. And leveling up.. lots of use.

Agreed.
04/05/2011 12:24 PMPosted by Lylirra
This perhaps, should have been worded a little differently.

We agree. We certainly could have worded the sentence better, or at least provided more clarity on what "expensive" meant in the context of that specific response. In this case, it referred to time invested (as Sabiras properly deduced), not simply money spent. Animations are an important element of design, but they require a lot of time and attention to do well.

I've gone ahead and made an edit to the original post to avoid further confusion, but I also wanted to call out why it was made. Thanks for the feedback, too! We really do appreciate this kind of constructive criticism, as it'll help us improve these Q&As going forward. :)

Well, in the spirit of constructive criticism, I'd like to offer this: while certainly there is going to be overlap on a great many topics, would it be possible to - either after the fact or before the question selection process - have the question filtered? For example while there is some merit in having appearance customization being touched on in this Q&A wouldn't it be better served in another Q&A, leaving us a chance to have another high rated question answered?

I know you can't please all the folks, but that would sure abate my "huh" factor reading about the asthetics of a toon on a weapon and armor Q&A.
I think the main problem with WoW is that the Devs are getting paid way too much money.

You all need a pay cut. Maybe then you'll actually put in the hours.

04/05/2011 11:18 AMPosted by Drbad
It really disappoints me when they reference finances as a reason for not doing anything. At this point, I really don't think money should stop them from doing anything. They have enough money to do whatever they want.

At first I thought they were talking about money as well but after re-reading the sentence I saw they where talking more about the time investment then the monetary investment.

At this point in WoW's life cycle I agree with you that money probably isn't the biggest constraint for development, time is.

After reading the dev's comments about the Barber Shop I think I have a better understanding of why the dance studio is in its current sudo limbo state.
Please dont put the dyes in the Alchemy profession.

I dont wanna shell out 10k to change my cape color to black. This will shy people away from dyes more than anything
can there be heirloom items that can change based on classes? like lets say im a hunter and buy an heirloom item can that item be tweaked based on my class and then i make a mage and they get the heirloom item and that would be tweaked in their favor?
04/05/2011 01:19 PMPosted by Raamasaur
Please dont put the dyes in the Alchemy profession.

Please don't give us dyes instead of an appearance tab. Both would be great, but if it must be one, the appearance tab is several orders of magnitude better for customization than dye is.
04/05/2011 01:21 PMPosted by Jairen
Please don't give us dyes instead of an appearance tab. Both would be great, but if it must be one, the appearance tab is several orders of magnitude better for customization than dye is

agreed

but ill take them over nothing at all