Ask the Devs - Answers #4: Armor and Weapons

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 25 Next
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
sexes
04/05/2011 01:52 PMPosted by Disha

same difference

I'm sorry but its not. Your just looking at it through a very narrow perception. Think of it this way maybe. They have a set team, that works a set amount of hours over a set amount of time regardless of what there working on. Now, say for example, they have a 4 month development window between releases of updates/content. More expensive in time in this context means they may have to denote 3/4 of that time on new animations alone, leaving very little room for anything new to implemented.

Of course my numbers up there are completely made up as I have no idea of there actual development cycles the point remains. The amount of time they would need to spend is probably more than they can justify when there are so many other things that need developing such as...new content.

While I can appreciate the wants of casters to see there shiny epic weps used in the cast animations, which of the two do you honestly find more important to spend time developing. New content, which any a 5 minute trip through these forums will show endless amounts players frothing at the mouth for, or a new animation.

This would be true in terms of gameplay development, but not in terms of what was asked which was animations. New content development (ie class changes, new items stats and raid encounters) has to have uniformity and oversight and throwing more people (read:money) into the mix is not going to produce quality results and will not produce them quicker as there is going to be more communication and more people to keep in the loop.

Animation of individual character models is not the same thing. You can hire more animators to handle the various race animations for casters. Now, the reward versus the money spent is unlikely to be worth it in a business sense. But to say it is not possible because it is time/money expensive is incorrect, but rather it is not enough economical gain to introduce it. The CMs don't want to phrase it that way because many gamers don't want game companies to make a lot of money, which is a funny quirk of the gaming community, shared by the same people that stop liking a band as soon as they get rich and famous because they "sold out".
As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

Based on the longstanding popularity of suggestions for improvements to the barber shop options, such as Haerle's Hairstyles and its subsidiaries, I can only take any unpopularity or "failure" of this feature to be solely the result of Blizzard's own creative bankruptcy and stalwart refusal to address player concerns regarding aesthetics and customization, no matter how loudly or multitudinously stated. How long do you really think you can successfully ignore your customers and offer the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel in regards to customization in an MMORPG. You are outshone by F2P games and studios with a fraction of your resources. For shame.
/checks previous expansions

Level 60 Legendaries: All required a 40man basically.
Level 70 Legendaries: All required a 25man
Level 80 Legendaries: I know Shadowmourne needed 25man. Wasn't around for Ulduar.
Level 85 Legendaries: Can be done in 10mans but at a slower pace.

Yeah, you little guilds totally got screwed this time around.
it's pretty sad that the most played MMO has some the worst customization, I'm not joking or trying to be mean I just don't see how this could happen.
I am glad to see some of the high rated questions being asked are getting technical. Whilst it would of been nicer to see more itemisation style questions it shows the community is starting to understand the game on the deeper levels.

I do however think you should filter through the top rated questions, some, while technically valid (the account bound one in particular) would of been answered in more standard threads (most likely numerously, even after the fact that it is now within the Ask the Devs set) and took up limited space that could of been better utilised for more technical questions.

I also disagree with the barber shop. While allowing players to change hairstyles was the original goal, along with allowing druids to change their skins (nice one btw, any chance of that spilling into boomkin?) shortly after was met, you never actually added any noticeably new styles. In fact like more disgruntled players will have and will point out you simply added another races 'style' to the list that could be chosen in the barbershop, technically customisation but not really in the spirit of customisation. What players expected was at least a couple of new hairstyles unique to either their own race, a limited race pool or simply even just to the barbershop system.
As we said in an earlier Q&A, we definitely hear loud and clear from players that they want more customization for their character. This is something we want to provide, but we want to do it in the right way. Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it? Maybe, but it wasn’t a cheap feature to add in terms of development time. Dumping a bunch of dyes on the game might have a similar effect, where some players might have fun playing around with the system for a bit, but a lot of players might change their colors once or twice and then forget about the feature after that. Now, not every aspect of the game needs a ton of depth and a lot of interesting decisions, but we tend to attract more players to a feature the more robust the feature is.

Based on the longstanding popularity of suggestions for improvements to the barber shop options, such as Haerle's Hairstyles and its subsidiaries, I can only take any unpopularity or "failure" of this feature to be solely the result of Blizzard's own creative bankruptcy and stalwart refusal to address player concerns regarding aesthetics and customization, no matter how loudly or multitudinously stated. How long do you really think you can successfully ignore your customers and offer the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel in regards to customization in an MMORPG. You are outshone by F2P games and studios with a fraction of your resources. For shame.

We can only hope that they rethink their misconceptions of the Barbershop and give us more styles! I really can't believe they said that about the barbershop, I'm shocked to say the least.

Level 80 Legendaries: I know Shadowmourne needed 25man. Wasn't around for Ulduar.

Obviously you need to acquire shards at a faster rate in 25 man as you have 2.5 times the amount of people present in the raid and thus will have more people vying for the legendary than you would in a 10-man and if 10-man were faster overall you would have people being forced into 10-man because of the legendary. But the comparison to the past is mostly meaningless. 60-80 Blizzard had specifically stated that the pinnacle of raiding was the max number raiding and in 60-70 smaller raids were separate from the large raids. Only in Cata has Blizzard stated that they want 10 man to equal 25 man in terms of quality of rewards and separate raiding paths.

Quoted for truth. I don't know how people can even complain about this. 10 man raids couldn't even get legendaries before. This news is 100% fair. 25 man raids should get loot faster than 10 man's, they're harder to organize and deserve some added benefit. This news is good news and keeps 10 mans and 25 mans balanced.
I Don't want to sound "nub" but back in WOTLK i used to wear the pvp sets because they where easy to get and nice looking. For example the pvp set lvl200 epic for paladin was a really good looking armor, it looks like the ones used by guards in the argent tournament.
Also for dk's pvp armor was the ones i used and the ones that drops from ICC dungeons were my favorite (yes, this one: Pauldrons of the Souleater )

I mean it's not only fashion is the simple idea that i could look the way i want. CATA armor and weapons are really not my style. i like the ones on BC and WOTLK if you ask me.
Why do we keep getting the same answer with character customization?

"We know the players want it, as our games only lacking quality currently is it's extremely pathetic character customization". "But we are worried that people wont use it because people don't use the barber shop to often! Because changing to a hair style you want forever is exactly like how players are constantly changing gear. Except it isn't in any way!"

Now the first part I see, It takes time and money and you want to make sure it isn't out of control. But why did you add the part about the barber shop? >_>
04/05/2011 11:00 AMPosted by Lylirra
Consider the Barber Shop feature. It lets you change your character's hair, but there’s not a lot of gameplay to it. We're not sure that feature really added a lot to the game in retrospect. Is WoW more fun for you now that you have a Barber Shop? Are you more likely to keep playing because of it?

Definitely. If you feel like your just a gopher on gear treadmill without any ability to influence your character's appearance other than grinding out more gear, which possibly doesn't even represent your character's style or theme, won't that start to bug you?

Won't that resentment of being locked down cause you to not enjoy that time-consuming grind to obtain something you don't even like to look at?

* the use of the Barbershop would increase if there were hairstyle updates made on a frequent basis, everyone would go to check out the new styles to see if they wanted to make some changes to their current hairstyle. Without micro-updates that feature remains pretty static until the next expansion is released and new content is added.
Any chance holy paladins could use spell daggers?
04/05/2011 02:59 PMPosted by Leignix
Thanks for screwing with 10 man guilds and their access to the lengendary.. Way to help out 25 man guilds..

Should be thanking Blizzard that their new raid design even allows 10 man raiding guilds to acquire legendaries.
04/05/2011 03:19 PMPosted by Garrinard
Quoted for truth. I don't know how people can even complain about this. 10 man raids couldn't even get legendaries before. This news is 100% fair. 25 man raids should get loot faster than 10 man's, they're harder to organize and deserve some added benefit. This news is good news and keeps 10 mans and 25 mans balanced.

I agree as well in the sense of 10mans being able to get legendaries at a slower pace. I disagree on the part of how you say 25mans should get an added benefit...for just being a 25man. In a sense yeah 25mans could be harder to organize, but doing 25man content is easier then doing 10man content on most fights especially HM.

So a benefit for a 25man is already showing its easier to complete the current content out there. I have seen tons of 10man guilds recruit more after they hit 12/12 to do 25man for the simple fact of making the fights easier for HM.
04/05/2011 03:23 PMPosted by Hælidan
"We know the players want it, as our games only lacking quality currently is it's extremely pathetic character customization"

Just because it is the only thing YOU care about doesn't mean it's the only thing Blizzard needs to work on.

It doesn't even matter how much money or how many people they have, they still need to make decisions on what should be done and how. That takes time and consideration. You can't just "hire more people" to make it be done faster.

And by short term solution, you mean, "Since the game went live on 11/23/04"?

I caught that to xD

I was like "Short term? When has this NOT been the case?"