Frost PvE Guide (5.4)

Death Knight
Prev 1 19 20 21 26 Next
Hello there Meithreusdk. Small tip-to mention uh dw dps is like mentioning melee hunter. Nay its worse. It is no longer viable due to the sudden doom talent only speccing off main hand swings now.

As for frost dw. You will see smaller crits but remember due to threat of thassarian talent your offhand will also do damage that most likely will not flash on the screen. But when you look at recount you will see those added up make around the dmg you are seeking :)

2h frost has fewer km procs and more rp Gen meaning you wont get as many obliterate crits which results in lower dps.
Hello hello, i am a curious dw frost dk. What is the reasoning for putting fallen crusader on the offhand?
07/20/2012 11:08 PMPosted by Ønegative
Hello hello, i am a curious dw frost dk. What is the reasoning for putting fallen crusader on the offhand?

Obliterate
Frost Strike
Plague Strike

all will hit with your Main hand and off hand (with threat of Thaussarian talent)

so Fallen Crusader will proc exactly the same regardless which hand you have the enchant on.

(NOW onto Razor Ice Main hand)

Razor Ice in addition to giving the 10% frost dmg (or vulnerability) debuff also does 2% of weapon damage as Frost damage. Since your DW'ing your main hand will hit for 100% weapon dmg and your off hand for 65% weapon dmg (DW penalty) because of this Razor Ice will do 35% mroe dmg on your main hand when it procs then it will do on your off hand.

that is why RI is on Main hand and FC is on Off hand.

(its something like a 55-72 DPS increase in BiS gear at 85) trivial yes but still worth it since it costs you nothing.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#dc01!gkZ!gPahSQeZSZ!b!eUo

This is my masterfrost build.

Why get Scarlet Fever? Because it counts as a disease. Why get another disease? Because it adds another 12.5% to obliterate. Why modify obliterate instead of diseases? Because Obliterate still does a far more significant portion of damage than my diseases. This just requires that you plague strike slightly more often.

I think that adding 2 points to epidemic might save you from having to plague strike as well.
Evilsantana, you need to rethink that build. I appreciate your thinking, but Scarlet Fever does not count as a third disease, and will not increase the damage of Obliterate.
The spec could actually be changed to have much more dps, Virulence is very pointless for a Frost DK, it only makes your diseases tick for about 300 high each time, if you get another point into Butchery and 2 into Blood Tap that will let you have more up time and less auto attacking. ALSO, Endless winter is USELESS for DS atm, So I'd suggesst taking those 2 points and putting them into Chillblains for the Congealing Bloods on Madness. You could also put them in Icy Reach for adds that spawn and you can get more up time on those if they aren't in your range already.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, just some suggestions and how i feel about my frost DK.
Losing Virulence is a dps loss.
Ninja Update!

Good job Tar, I'll take a gander at it.
Yay, thanks!
It's practically a guarantee that I've made a mistake or two somewhere in here. If you see anything embarrassing, please point it out.
08/27/2012 09:18 PMPosted by Taruun
It's practically a guarantee that I've made a mistake or two somewhere in here. If you see anything embarrassing, please point it out.

May I be extremely rude, uncalled for and extremely un-enjoyable?
Only if I get to respond in kind!
If I had one complaint about this helpful guide, Taruun, it's that you didn't make a big enough deal about how horrendous a mechanic Plague Leech is. Anybody who followed the DK Beta Community knows how much it is hated, regardless of whether or not it's a dps gain.

So, to any newcomers who read this, PLAGUE LEECH SUCKS. DON'T TAKE IT UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO MAKE YOUR DPS PRIORITY AT LEAST 3 BAJILLION TIMES MORE OF A HEADACHE.

Unholy Blight for the win.
Yes and thanks for every thing helped me out alot now if i could just get reforging to work.
Thanks, just what i was looking for.
08/28/2012 06:16 PMPosted by Sigtyr
So, to any newcomers who read this, PLAGUE LEECH SUCKS. DON'T TAKE IT UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO MAKE YOUR DPS PRIORITY AT LEAST 3 BAJILLION TIMES MORE OF A HEADACHE.

Funnily enough, I'm running Plague Leech with the Masterfrost rotation, and finding it smooth and easy. It essentially lets me convert an unholy rune into a howling blast around every 25-30 seconds (depending on when I end up with a spare GCD), and being that Masterfrost doesn't rely on diseases for the vast majority of its damage, the loss in Blood Plague uptime is easily made up for by that extra Howling Blast.
where's the Blood Tap macro?
thanks
Thanks for quickly updating the guide!
Thank You Taruun for the great guide! It is a big help since I wasnt in beta and kinda had no idea about the new talent tree, skills, and glyphs. Also how do I look as far as PVE DPSing? Is my setup heading in the right direction?
Thanks a lot, needed some updates for the new patch and your post was perfect.

2 small things. Blood Tap is currently on the GCD on live, so macro'ing Blood Tap into your abilities won't work. I wouldn't recommend that talent atm.

Saw a beta forum post from Aug 2 saying it was going back off, but who knows when that will hit live.

Second, I am having a freakin blast with 2H Frost. Feels stronger to me than DW. My rune regeneration seems uneven though. I'm hitting a lot more "dead spots" with nothing to do. Going to try RC over RE to see if that evens it out.