Where Can I Fly My New Gryphon?

New Player Help and Guides
Hi,

I just reached Level 60, paid for my flight license, and purchased a gryphon. But when I try to mount, WoW only reports "You can't do that here." I am currently just outside of Stormwind.

So where can I fly the darn thing?

Thanks,
Timeshadow
I assume you don't have Cataclysm as an expansion, and only have up to Burning Crusade. You need Cataclysm to purchase the Flight Master's License, which is required for flying in Azeroth.

If that's the case, you may only fly your new mount in Outland.
Thank you.

At this point then, I can only fly in Outland . . . and you said I need Cataclysm to fly in Azeroth. Does that mean I first have to get the other expansions (Lich King, etc.) before I get Cataclysm?

Thanks,
Timeshadow
Thank you.

At this point then, I can only fly in Outland . . . and you said I need Cataclysm to fly in Azeroth. Does that mean I first have to get the other expansions (Lich King, etc.) before I get Cataclysm?

Thanks,
Timeshadow

Correct.
04/12/2011 04:43 PMPosted by Timeshadow

Yes.

Classic WoW = no flying anywhere
Burning Crusade = flying in Outland (learn the flying skill @ 60)
Wrath of the Lich King = flying in Northrend (learn Cold Weather Flying @ 68)
Cataclysm = flying in Azeroth (learn Flight Master's License @ 60)
Thanks everyone for your answers. Now I know.

Note to Blizzard (but I guess they won't see this post): When a player with the same current setup (only has Burning Crusade, at level 60 or +) tries to ride his or her Gryphon, an informative message should appear--not just "You can't do this here." Not helpful. Instead, something like: "Currently, you can only ride in Outland." I wasted a bunch of time. Oh well.
04/12/2011 07:05 PMPosted by Timeshadow
Note to Blizzard (but I guess they won't see this post): When a player with the same current setup (only has Burning Crusade, at level 60 or +) tries to ride his or her Gryphon, an informative message should appear--not just "You can't do this here." Not helpful. Instead, something like: "Currently, you can only ride in Outland." I wasted a bunch of time. Oh well.

If you want Blizzard to see your suggestion, you should post it in the forum that pertains to the subject you are talking about. In this case, since riding is trained and falls under the profession trainers list when you talk to a guard, I'd suggest you go to the forum for professions and make your suggestion there.