Ask the Devs - Answers #5: Achievements

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 12 Next
I don't believe the Naxx mounts should be brought back, and I do not have them personally. The original meta achievement required Immortal, which is now a feat of strength and is no longer part of Glory of the Raider. Unless something is put into the meta of similiar difficulty, putting the drake back in to this achievement would cheapen it considerably.
04/13/2011 02:27 PMPosted by Shimala
fast forward to now with all the changes over the years, and there you have it,

thanks for the clarification.

The point of my question wasn't to get a understanding of literally how it happened over the course of however many years. The point was to find out if Blizzard was going to do anything about it, or to find out if they just didn't care. The way the three factions in this achiev. are set up in terms of rep gains is a bit misleading. If its supposed to take years for a casual player and/or lots of planning and coordination on the part of a more avid player, then why is AV so easy.
I think the real issue on the AB/WSG rep is that bliz doesn't want to spend the resources to go back and change the rep rewards as they have been the same for years. I got my WSG exalted but not my AB and as much as the title would be nice I don't stress over it as all it says is I played a lot of BGs lol.
Sorry if this isn't where you ask a question, but i'm seriousllllyyy dying to know,,,

Blizzard will you be adding new hairstyles for each race?
Not really the right place for this question...this is in regards to The Achievement Q & A
04/13/2011 02:36 PMPosted by Pepine
I don't believe the Naxx mounts should be brought back, and I do not have them personally. The original meta achievement required Immortal, which is now a feat of strength and is no longer part of Glory of the Raider. Unless something is put into the meta of similiar difficulty, putting the drake back in to this achievement would cheapen it considerably.

Even without The Immortal/Undying, the achivement would be cheapened considerably just by the virtue of everyone outleveling and outgearing the encounter. But that's not the problem.

Everyone has outleveled/outgeared 3 drake Sartharion. Can you still get the mounts? Yes.
Everyone has outleveled/outgeared Lich King. Can you still get the mounts? Yes.
Going by today's policy of not removing raid mounts, there was no reason for the Naxx drakes to have been removed.
I think the real issue on the AB/WSG rep is that bliz doesn't want to spend the resources to go back and change the rep rewards as they have been the same for years. I got my WSG exalted but not my AB and as much as the title would be nice I don't stress over it as all it says is I played a lot of BGs lol.

good point :)

I'm not a game programmer so correct if I'm wrong (which im sure no one will have a problem doing), but couldn't you just add in a reasonable, albeit small, rep gain for loosing the match? Similar to how you still get SOME bonus HK for losing a random BG battle?
04/13/2011 02:50 PMPosted by Battlemaster
I'm not a game programmer so correct if I'm wrong (which im sure no one will have a problem doing), but couldn't you just add in a reasonable, albeit small, rep gain for loosing the match? Similar to how you still get SOME bonus HK for losing a random BG battle?

Neither am I a programmer, but my guess is that reputation and honor are awarded by different triggers, and the system that checks to see if you queued for a random battle doesn't interface well with the system that rewards reputation. Might still be possible, but probably more complicated than adding "+50 rep (WSG)" to the end of a line or something. That's my guess.
04/13/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Zarhym
We were referring specifically to metas like Master of Arathi Basin. They are on the meta achievements for Justicar and the Conqueror. While those achievements are pretty grindy, we think they're okay for their purpose.

Maybe they are OK in a battle group where your faction wins all the time. Not really OK for the rest of us mortals. I don't think you should turn it into a joke grind like you did with the Timbermaw, but would it kill you to grant 1 rep per kill while in those BGs, like it happens in AV? I've been playing practically since release and I'm still friendly with AB and WSG.
04/13/2011 02:54 PMPosted by Lorinall
Neither am I a programmer, but my guess is that reputation and honor are awarded by different triggers, and the system that checks to see if you queued for a random battle doesn't interface well with the system that rewards reputation. Might still be possible, but probably more complicated than adding "+50 rep (WSG)" to the end of a line or something. That's my guess.

hmm....
too bad there are no experts to chime in :(
Good Evening,

I would like to add my support for the re-surfacing of the Black and Unholy Proto-Drakes. While there was a race for guilds and players focused on end game progression 3ish years ago, to complete these in a timely manner, congrats you won, you have the date stamp on your Achievements to prove you completed this when it was optimal and competitive. I would like the opportunity now, as a more casual player to go back and hit these older Meta-Achievements and acquire the mounts, without the concern of progression. I just want the mount.

Thanks.
04/13/2011 02:57 PMPosted by Urthal
would it kill you to grant 1 rep per kill while in those BGs, like it happens in AV? I've been playing practically since release and I'm still friendly with AB and WSG.

I like that idea :)
A lot of people, myself included, asked if devs could tweak the API so we can get who is doing fishing, crafting, killing critters, etc.. for achievements like That's a lot of Bait.

At least a "not planned" would have been good. Instead, we get answers about pet achievements that you can read in the patch notes...
Unapologetically stolen from MMO-Champion:

Q: Will you ever bring back the mounts for achievements that were removed (Naxx Glory runs) as you didn't remove the later mounts? – Joyia (North America/ANZ)

A: This is a tough one. On the one hand, we know there are a lot of players who would still like to get their hands on these mounts. On the other hand, we were pretty clear that they would only be available for a limited time, and we hate to go back on our word because we know some groups went through heroic efforts to get them before the door closed. This is the kind of thing that is not set in stone and player feedback might eventually convince us to change our minds.

By "pretty clear" they mean "We gave you a month and half notice when we announced it in the upcoming patch, so those of you who by then were bored waiting for new content and couldn't get your guildies back on to get the achievements in time got boned. We also failed to make it clear whether the Ulduar drakes would be removed or not and so everyone ground the ever living crap out of those achievements before we gave a yay or nay on if we'd take them out."
04/13/2011 02:36 PMPosted by Pepine

Cheapen it how? No mount has real value on it. Rare mounts come and go. The only value it has is with its rider. If a rider feels it has been cheapened because somebody else is riding one in tanaris while they are sitting in SW, then that his/her social problem.
04/13/2011 03:31 PMPosted by Mantaur
If a rider feels it has been cheapened because somebody else is riding one in tanaris while they are sitting in SW, then that his/her social problem.

Completely bad philosophy to apply to this. Strong video game design is all about managing and considering the feelings of the players. If players feel slighted or like their accomplishments were cheapened, that is absolutely an impact Blizzard has to consider.
04/13/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Zarhym
We were referring specifically to metas like Master of Arathi Basin. They are on the meta achievements for Justicar and the Conqueror. While those achievements are pretty grindy, we think they're okay for their purpose.
i'm happy with this knoledge.
I got my justicar achieve in 2-3 weeks before cata came out, and this char was only created a year before that.

Man up, do some bgs, dont keyboard turn