Ask the Devs - Answers #5: Achievements

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 12 Next
WTF, no answer about the FoS of the shifting sands for those who have the scepter but didn't get the achivement?

I'm dissapointed, that was the only thing I was really waiting for =/
Personaly, I think they should not bring back the proto drakes. They are a testament to those who spent the time and effort into getting the achieves. If they bring them back, it will lessen the value of the mount. It would be like a person who got the mount diring the time it was up seeing half of azeroth suddenly apear with the same mount, causing all those ppl to feel like it was just wasted time for they could have waited until it was easy to get.
Q: When will achievements finally be awarded account-wide? – Larosh (Europe [German]), Eneia & Payasos (Europe [Spanish]), Rageudder & Kellgros (Europe [English]), Деадхил (Europe [Russian]), Nyn (North America/ANZ), 기사는아무나 (Korea)

A: Making achievements Battle.net account-wide is something we'd like to do, but it's not a goal we could provide a current timetable for. All of the original World of Warcraft coding was done with the expectation that the data on every realm would always be independent. Now that we are trying to make as many things as possible account-wide, we’re having to rebuild all of those systems. It is absolutely something we want to do, but it will take a lot of time away from other features.
Now this is a fantastic idea. If Achievements were leveled per account, it would make a lot more sense in rewarding the player, and not the character. It would prevent me from thinking "Oh, I'd rather take X character to the raid because he has more achievements rather than another." Simply have a denotation on each achievement that states how many character have attained that achievement. When you expand that achievement, it would then tell you the names of the other characters which have the same particular achievement (names only visible to the actual player character, numbers to everyone else).

Coincidentally, this would also help people PUG'ing. You could immediately tell if the player has done a particular boss on ANY of his characters.

In essence, why would you want to restrict achievements to a particular character? Doesn't it make more sense to reward the person? This would severely help people out trying to complete a particular achievement that rewards a 'killing blow' on something when they normally only play healers.

This would be a very welcome way to reward the player, putting the focus on the individual behind the keyboard, not the character on the screen. I think this is a great idea.
04/13/2011 03:55 PMPosted by Mazlynn
Personaly, I think they should not bring back the proto drakes. They are a testament to those who spent the time and effort into getting the achieves. If they bring them back, it will lessen the value of the mount. It would be like a person who got the mount diring the time it was up seeing half of azeroth suddenly apear with the same mount, causing all those ppl to feel like it was just wasted time for they could have waited until it was easy to get.

If that were the case, what about those who grinded out their Grand Marshal titles years ago? It clearly wasn't fair for those who spent the countless hours in game PvPing to getting their ranks only to have it reduced to absolutely nothing. Especially now that anyone can just hop into a random RBG, grind for a couple hours and get a pvp rank.... It completly ruined the mystique behind old school Grand Marshals.

And now people are defending Naxx titles like they were somehow more important than the PvP grinds. Eh.

I got my justicar achieve in 2-3 weeks before cata came out, and this char was only created a year before that.

Man up, do some bgs, dont keyboard turn

Are you saying you did the AB and WSG rep from neutral to exalted in 2-3 weeks? If that's what you're saying then I know you're lying.
I have a rank 11 or 12 (legionnaire) warlock. still revered with arathi basin and warsong gulch. I used to want to get Conquerer. that would be all you did in game for a good six+ months though..
Q: When will achievements finally be awarded account-wide? – Larosh (Europe [German]), Eneia & Payasos (Europe [Spanish]), Rageudder & Kellgros (Europe [English]), Деадхил (Europe [Russian]), Nyn (North America/ANZ), 기사는아무나 (Korea)

A: Making achievements Battle.net account-wide is something we'd like to do, but it's not a goal we could provide a current timetable for. All of the original World of Warcraft coding was done with the expectation that the data on every realm would always be independent. Now that we are trying to make as many things as possible account-wide, we’re having to rebuild all of those systems. It is absolutely something we want to do, but it will take a lot of time away from other features.

Aww... well at least it's something that they have planned. Thanks for answering that Blizzard.
I really wish they wouldn't make or plan to make achievements account-wide.
I was asking about the discrepancy between AV rep gains vs. WG and AB rep gains. I wan't asking for absurd amounts of HK for doing nothing.

Its interesting you bring up the "the bloodthirsty" title. In the games current state I think it would be much easier to grind that out then the WG/AB reps.
Again its a lot different playing on the "losing" faction for years. I'm happy you found this cheevo it be so easy tho :) I wish I had your luck.

I got conqueror in about 35k hks Im at 213 hks as of now
WTF, no answer about the FoS of the shifting sands for those who have the scepter but didn't get the achivement?

I'm dissapointed, that was the only thing I was really waiting for =/

If they decide to do this it will appear in patch notes one day. Knowing about it in advance won't really help anybody out. Maybe stop somebody from ragequitting, but given the dedication required for that task that doesn't seem like the type to ragequit,
I was hoping for some answers on the cooking issues. Ah well.
04/13/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Zarhym
Depends what metas you're talking about. They certainly are required for The Justicar.

We were referring specifically to metas like Master of Arathi Basin. They are on the meta achievements for Justicar and the Conqueror. While those achievements are pretty grindy, we think they're okay for their purpose.

Thanks. I may start grinding PvP achieves next.
I worked long on this achievement so it wasn't implemented and removed fast
the keyachievement
I had it on my priest
I got my justicar achieve in 2-3 weeks before cata came out, and this char was only created a year before that.

Man up, do some bgs, dont keyboard turn

Are you saying you did the AB and WSG rep from neutral to exalted in 2-3 weeks? If that's what you're saying then I know you're lying.

It takes about 1000 games in total to get the title. If he played 20 days and 10 hours a day, he needs to do 5 games in an hour. That is possible if he's alliance. Also he didn't say he never do bgs before. So 3 weeks is quite possible.

To those who kept saying the achievement is too hard:
The standard is there. If you play that much bgs, you'll get the title.
If you can't do it, then don't do it.
Some mountains are meant to be high. Why do you want every mountain to be low so that you can climb on top of it?
04/13/2011 09:24 AMPosted by Bashiok
Q: Will we ever be able to spend our achievement points on something? Or will there be a feature where it will be required to have x amount of points?

Nobody seems to ever ask the right question, or blizzard chose to answer the wrong question...again. The real question should be why can't there be some kind of rewards that you get for having a certain number of points.

We do offer pets, mounts and titles for specific achievements, and we’re unlikely to ever do anything much more “mandatory” than those.

Of course the reward for accomplishing, say 10,000 or 12,000 achievement points, should be limited to pets, mounts, or titles. I never wanted the rewards to be something "mandatory." But I would like to have something that somebody else would notice and maybe say, "hey, that guy must have a lot of achievement points." A cool mount or pet perhaps. "Natendall the Overachiever" as an example of a title. I'd sport that.

Rewarding things like this would not make them "feel mandatory," but it would help the people that go out of their way to get points that do absolutely nothing tangible for themselves feel like they're not wasting their time, or "chores."

The rewards could come every 1000 points or 2000 points or an ever-increasing amount. They could be minor at the start and get more epic as the points get higher.

Q: Will you ever bring back the mounts for achievements that were removed (Naxx Glory runs) as you didn't remove the later mounts? – Joyia (North America/ANZ)

A: This is a tough one. On the one hand, we know there are a lot of players who would still like to get their hands on these mounts. On the other hand, we were pretty clear that they would only be available for a limited time, and we hate to go back on our word because we know some groups went through heroic efforts to get them before the door closed. This is the kind of thing that is not set in stone and player feedback might eventually convince us to change our minds.

I for one am glad they removed those mounts. The 25-man proto-drake is one of the few mounts that I'm proud of...because I had to work hard for it. What Blizzard should do is remove all those mounts from achievements after the current tier or at least the current tier expires. I see a ton of Ironbound and Rusted Proto-Drakes and Frostbrood Vanquishers and you can't tell if they got it "legitly" or by powering through the content after the next tier or expansion came out without looking it up. The Amani War Bear is the one land mount that I'm most proud of and always ride because you had to be good to get it and, as importantly, nobody else can get it now. Except, a slightly different colored one is coming next patch...(sigh). Hopefully, their difficulty to obtain is on par with the original. Same goes for titles...the immortal and the undying are awesome because they were hard and they're unobtainable now.

A: Patch 4.1 has achievements for 100 and 125 companions. Those particular achievements don’t reward pets, but we’ll probably do another reward at some tier in the future, perhaps 150 or 200 pets.

Why not? 50 and 75 did. Why wouldn't 100 and 125 have them? Just saying...be consistent.
04/13/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Zarhym
Depends what metas you're talking about. They certainly are required for The Justicar.

We were referring specifically to metas like Master of Arathi Basin. They are on the meta achievements for Justicar and the Conqueror. While those achievements are pretty grindy, we think they're okay for their purpose.

I still think you should get awarded rep for winning a WSG. At the moment it's based entirely off flag caps. Not all matches end in 3 caps. Can we at least get something like 50 rep for winning a game?

It takes about 1000 games in total to get the title. If he played 20 days and 10 hours a day, he needs to do 5 games in an hour. That is possible if he's alliance. Also he didn't say he never do bgs before. So 3 weeks is quite possible.

To those who kept saying the achievement is too hard:
The standard is there. If you play that much bgs, you'll get the title.
If you can't do it, then don't do it.
Some mountains are meant to be high. Why do you want every mountain to be low so that you can climb on top of it?

He's alliance, we pretty much lose battlegrounds like WSG and AB 9 out of 10 times. Also how you think over 1000 battlegrounds is fine for grinding rep is beyond me. The rep grind is TOUGHER than it was before that's not a good thing and it shouldn't be that way in the first place.

Edit - They need to add more ways to gain rep with Silverwing Sentinels and The League of Arathor as it stands right now there is only one way for each one and both of them are terrible though at least with The League of Arathor you know you're guaranteed some rep regardless even if it's just a small amount, with Silverwing Sentinels you could go on a bad losing streak and lose a bunch of 3-0 games or games that drag out in a 1-0 or 2-0 loss. Theres no rep gain that way and that's a bad thing.