Disc Priest: how much spirit should I have?

Priest
I was just wondering how much spirit i should have for raids, healing as a disc priest

I am currently sitting at 1979 spirit i believe and 2579 with DMC:tsunami 5 stack and heartsong up

i would like to stack lots of spirit but im wondering when i can tone down on it and go for stats such as mastery, haste and crit. Please note that i am transitioning from PVP shadow to PVE Disc

thanks,

Lebai
There's no set amount of spirit you should be aiming for. Just make sure that every piece you get has spirit. Now, in later content there will be some items (Heroic Valiona's neckpiece) that have no spirit but are BiS. Make sure you re-forge to have spirit.

Also, I noticed that you are reforging Mastery to Spirit. Never, ever reforge out of master as disc. That is one stat you should be aiming to get, and to get a lot of. Reforge your haste to spirit instead. And reforge haste to mastery whenever possible.
Flay has it right for the most part, the level of spirit required is going to depend upon the content you're working on, your spec, and your raid composition. I have no mana tide, my druid eats her own innervate on all hard modes, therefore I need more spirit.

I wouldn't *stack* spirit, or reforge ANYTHING to spirit, but make sure every gear has spirit on it as one of the secondary stats.

The only re-forging you should be doing as disc is Crit -> Mastery 100% of the time, then haste -> mastery depending on how comfortable you are with your PoH cast speed.
as much as you can get without inhibitting your other stats. I'm kinda disappointed, i feel like i left this thread empty for leaving such an easy answer...
RE: Spirit. As long as your gear has it and you're matching gem slots correctly, you'll be fine.

RE: People saying to reforge/stack mastery.
It's really not that simple. If you're trying to still be a bubble bot raid healer then sure, but tank healers need a much better balance of stats than just sticking to one.
Gearing depends much more on your role for disc than other specs.
thanks guys, and yeah that one peice of gear i reforged mastery>spirit is a place holder peice till i get better gear and it was either to reforge crit or mastery and i prefer crit a bit more so i reforged mastery

as far as my knowledge goes int>spirit>mastery=crit>haste?

Edit: hi bruen your from my server :D
Over 9000.
Lebai it's more...

Int>Spirit>Mastery> crit = haste

The only time crit becomes greater, is exclusively in say... 5 man heroic healing, if you're raid tank healing you should be spec'd into strength of soul & train of thought, then your tank rotation becomes PW:S, Penance, Gheal Spam - rinse / repeat. The extra crit for healing w/ weakened soul debuff on is more than enough to keep Inspiration up full-time on your tank, so increasing the strength of those bubbles SoS is allowing you to spam on him becomes more efficient.

Haste becomes a better stat when you find yourself spamming PoH more frequently for raid healing.
In a raid, if you use PW:S on a tank with a rapture timer, you should have plenty of mana (because rapture procs almost instantly after casting a shield on a tank). When I'm tank healing, for example, even spamming large heals for a long period of time I am generally unable to get my mana bar to drop by much. In fact it goes up if we're exiting a phase with heavy raid healing. The only way I can run realistically run OOM is by spamming shields or FH. Be sure you're gemming and trinketing for Int. Spirit offers no special benefits to disc priests other than regen.

On the topic of secondary stats, mastery and crit are synergistic with each other for disc priests - as you get more of either one, the other becomes even more valuable. For example, at my current level of mastery, my critical heals actually heal for 214% once the absorb is taken into account. This is because divine aegis bubbles are boosted by mastery, and critical heals cause those bubbles to proc in the first place. More 214% heals? Yes please.

I've found haste to be the least useful stat for disc priests as it is not synergistic with anything else. I generally always reforge out of haste past the low 500s (which I only maintain so that if I swap to Holy I can reach 12.5% - but that's another discussion). So don't necessarily reforge out of crit, unless you've first evaluated your personal healing style and decided that it doesn't do a lot for you.

For Holy, crit is terrible, offering no synergistic benefits, and should be avoided/reforged. Makes it hard to have a single good set for both disc and holy specs, unfortunately, because Holy's arguably best stat (haste) is disc's worst.
On the topic of secondary stats, mastery and crit are synergistic with each other for disc priests - as you get more of either one, the other becomes even more valuable. For example, at my current level of mastery, my critical heals actually heal for 214% once the absorb is taken into account. This is because divine aegis bubbles are boosted by mastery, and critical heals cause those bubbles to proc in the first place. More 214% heals? Yes please.

Not quite. it depends a lot on what your style of healing is. If you run heavy PW:S, then mastery and haste are all you want, because crit is meaningless (most PW:S glyphs are overheal).

04/11/2011 07:13 AMPosted by Jurgen
I've found haste to be the least useful stat for disc priests as it is not synergistic with anything else.

Haste makes everything faster? Not sure how it's not synergistic.

Spirit is your primary regen stat, even if rapture looks appealing on paper, your base regen will always come out ahead (this tier anyways). It's always tricky to balance spirit, but keep in mind that unless you're sitting at 100% mana, your spirit is never wasted. Get enough until you feel comfortable, then focus on your throughput stats.

The only re-forging you should be doing as disc is Crit -> Mastery 100% of the time, then haste -> mastery depending on how comfortable you are with your PoH cast speed.

Even for tank-healing?
I find I need a weee bit more haste when just tank healing to get WS off in a time frame comfortable for me. I dont forge mastery to haste, but I will leave full haste on pieces-or switch out a pure mastery piece for a haste/crit (reforged crit->mastery) piece.
For some reason, I am always tank healing.
@OP: I like to have a trinket or something that is all regen/spirit, for use-as-needed, that way I can easily swap it out if I find mana is a problem or a long fight is coming up.
I refuse to ask for innervates (unless its part of a strat) and do not always have mana tide in 10 mans.
If you are atonement, stacking evangilism can get expensive-also make sure to use your Inner Focus on CD, macro it to PoH and/or Greater Heal. For tank healing, I find SoL>atonement (for now)-you wouldnt believe how many free Flash Heals I get.
Even for tank-healing?
I find I need a weee bit more haste when just tank healing to get WS off in a time frame comfortable for me. I dont forge mastery to haste, but I will leave full haste on pieces-or switch out a pure mastery piece for a haste/crit (reforged crit->mastery) piece.
For some reason, I am always tank healing.

don't pigeonhole yourself into being a 'tank healer', especially in 10 man. There really isn't any need for a dedicated tank healer in 10s. Each healer should be keeping an eye on the tank(s) and throwing extra heals on them when needed. Throwing PW:S, renew and penance at the tanks is usually all you'll need. Shamans, druids, and paladins all have abilities that level out the amount of damage a tank is taking compared to the rest of the raid. For 10s, mastery>>>haste>crit IMO. The more PW:S you can throw out the better.

as far as my knowledge goes int>spirit>mastery=crit>haste?

Yes, but none of your other stats matter if you run out of mana:)
OP: A lot of the posters that "never run oom" have about 600 more spirit and 1k more Intellect than your priest.
So, keep that in mind.
I like around 2300-2600 Spirit.
Sometimes I go for more Spirit and rock the Inner Will if its a movement heavy fight with more raid than tank damage. If you are buying time for other healers to find a spot to stand and cast chain heal/PoH and top off the raid-your shields dont need to be at full possible capacity.
For tank healing-less Spirit and Inner Fire.
Sometimes you are the tank saver, other times you are the mage/warlock/ret pally/resto shammy@ 5% health saver.
Different bubbles for different situations, different mana regen for different healing assignments.