Old Wow

General Discussion
Prev 1 21 22 23 26 Next
Making the game simpler for people doesn't mean that they are any less intelligent. It means they grew up and have lives outside of the game. You should probably do the same.
I understand and respect gaming masochism. But, I think that changing mechanics to be more reasonable and less punishing is an improvement, not a detriment, to games in general. Many of us Original Gamers pine for the days of D&D-based yore when games were seemingly intended to break us down into sobbing masses created by an uncaring necromancer of pain and suffering, or at least didn't try to avoid it. Overcoming all of the obstacles (I CHOOSE NOT TO SHOOT HER WITH THE SILVER ARROW... NOOOOO) was a big part of what gaming (I HAVE 1 LIFE!?), and especially PC gaming (HOW DO I LOAD MOUSE DRIVERS?), were about. But, I feel we're lucky to now be in an age where those ideals (intended or not) are giving way to actual fun, actual challenge, and not fabricating it through high-reach requirements (I NEED A FAIRY MONK WITH A MAGIC LOCKPICK?).

What we've always been trying to do, what WoW has always been about (and to which much of its success is due) is to make an accessible MMO. Anyone that looks back at the game at launch and wishes it was as challenging now as it was then is not aware of the painstaking effort put into making this game accessible as compared to its predecessors. Since release we've refined that intent, eventually evolving the very few masochistic designs WoW actually ever started with, but ideally still offering those same prestige goals that give that feeling of achieving something great if you're able to pull it off. We've made a lot of progress toward striking that balance and continuing to evolve the game, but it's not something we're ever likely to perfect, and we'll be constantly working to hit that elusive goal. Hopefully it's to the benefit of everyone playing and enjoying the game, and they'll continue to enjoy the journey that a living, breathing, persistent universe will take us on.

Well said.

TLDR: We made a game fun instead of a game that feels like a second job that you pay your employer a monthly fee to do.
And then I had your babies.

Yeah, I failed to recognize that the OP posted on a level 70. Where's your 85 with all the hard mode achievements, Mr. "WoW is too easy now"?

Of course, my absolute favorite moment in WoW history was when 25 HM LK was reached, and was made virtually impossible to kill without the nerf. Hardcore elitist raiders crying for nerfs to Hard Mode content pretty much made my year.

Honestly I think this a troll thread at this point. OP posted on a 74 alt, has not responded to any post to defend his arugment.

OP pretty much lit a match, threw it at a barn and then ran
This community needs to make up it's mind. Do we like it, or hate it? Cause Ive seen this thread many times before, just with the opposite opinion.
04/09/2011 09:44 PMPosted by Maliko
im not an original gammer i started in 2009 when hunters had stuff like volley and arrows. But i have 1 complant for hunters and i think all hunters whant volley back i just a few day before cata arived and when i loged in and found that volley was gone i was sad coz i just got and loved it. Now hunters cant AOE and i see hunters getting yelled at in raids when we have to AOE enemys down. So i think that blizard should bring back volley.

Dude...multi shot, alot better than volley.
i love how ALL of the people in this thread whining about the Old schoolers complaining are comepletely brain dead retards.

<cut for brevity>

these days, if you don't like it, don't worry. it'll be patchedand you can plow through it with no worries at all in the next update.

me? i personally don't even believe in progression anymore. whats the point? wait a couple months, it becomes trivial.

so, why are we upset, seriously? it used to be an RPG. AN RPG. THIS GAME IS NO LONGER AN MMO RPG.

Lilium you are the reason people made fun of wow players back in the vanilla days. After reading all the stuff that you have posted and all of the stuff that went on in vanilla, Im proud to say that i started in late BC and raided though wrath. This elitist attitude makes me ashamed to know we play the same game.
Btw Thingolo you are my new hero for that
The only thing I miss about old WoW days were that classes were unique back then. All the homogenization of the classes now is annoying. You could staff an entire raid with pallies, druids and shaman and never be lacking in an area.

Rogues lock picking isn't even unique anymore -- every rogue gets his lock picking automatically leveled and there are STILL blacksmith-made lock picks that can pick higher than Rogues can (not that I've found many 500 skill locks, but still).

Stop if with the hybrid classes and start making individual classes shine again (and yes, even me being a shaman think that).
04/08/2011 05:49 PMPosted by Bashiok
What we've always been trying to do, what WoW has always been about (and to which much of its success is due) is to make an accessible MMO.

WoW Senior Designer interview at mmorpg.com:

"We also wanted to make the game tougher with more reliance on class abilities, player skill, and crowd control, particularly in the heroics that was a very conscious decision by the team."

"People are significantly less into raids than they were ... We have seen a lot of the progression on raids be significantly slower which is as designed. I think it is a good thing for the game."

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/15/feature/5041

Significantly less people raiding as designed and tougher as a very conscious decision by the team, don't sound 'accessible'.
i love how ALL of the people in this thread whining about the Old schoolers complaining are comepletely brain dead retards.

get over yourselves. We lost a game that used to be an MMO. we did our time in something that we always had something to do to progress in our game.

while you stand around now in stormwind, we were out there doing quests in Eastern plaguelands for attunement.

So sad you think that doing the same thing endlessly is fun. Having a time requirement to get things is not a good design, i dont expect you to understand that.

Oh, and the BG part of your post, it was really fun back in those days where a rogue could kill 3 players at a time with stunlocks, re stealthing and a lot of crit, sure, hell of fun.

Sure, a hell lot fun.

No more Class specialization... remember when you needed a dwarf priest just for Fear ward. Now any 5 paladins can do a group run and complete the instance.

Could not agree more.

It's my biggest complaint about WoW. Every class can heal itself, every class has stun, every class has fear, every class has damage negation, every class has AoE, every class has group buffs.

Why not just apply the RNG to our class selection when we start the game if you're going to remove the entire purpose of selecting a specific class?
04/11/2011 11:16 AMPosted by Kanekealikoa
What we've always been trying to do, what WoW has always been about (and to which much of its success is due) is to make an accessible MMO.

Uh, I think you may have lost sight of that goal with Cataclysm. More accessible than vanilla, yes, but Cataclysm was a considerable step backwards from WotLK. So much so that you lost my business.

This, Wrath was a lot better, where everyone had things meant to them. Some of the new things of cata, mixed with wrath, could have done a great expansion.

But you must stop cattering to elitists that only wants other not seeing what they see.

Cataclysm has broken entire guilds because of the elitists catering.

You know what you end up with when you make a sports car accessible?

A minivan.

Cut it out.
I think the game is the best it has ever been, but as many before me have said i do think sense of community is lost now. While i am guilty in engaging in excessive use of the dungeon finder its not the same as finding a good group and adding them to your friends list.

Also am guilty of having many many alts. In vanilla people werent as likely to have more than one maxed level toon. This probably let to more of a sense of "wonder" when grouping with other classes.
With all these things considered i wouldnt go back but i admit some of the magic is gone.
they should bring back the real epic armor and make a realm thats the original wow only
what does your stupid salty title have to do with the dedication your quoted poster is talking about? you said so yourself, all you did was click and heard a spalsh.

What dedication did getting a wintersaber mount take, other than killing mobs over and over? It was no more challenging than fishing, and like fishing just took a long amount of time.

when you saw a wintersabre mount you were like " OH SHI-" back then. throwing a bobber out and waiting for a splash is not = to running around and killing wintersabre all day. once you stopped to watch you netflix and scratch your ass and whatnot, so did your progression

You're saying your incompetent enough that you can't watch netflix and kill mobs at the same time? No wonder these achievements mean so much to you.
I still have mine!!! It shows up on me when I log in. (Race changed when cata came out)
Anyone that looks back at the game at launch and wishes it was as challenging now as it was then is not aware of the painstaking effort put into making this game accessible as compared to its predecessors.

Then why do you limit the function of ingame macros? A lot of classes are not so much rotation based as they are priority based. If I make the follow macro, why do you inhibit my ability to utilitize it?

/cast colossus smash
/cast mortal strike
/cast overpower
/cast slam

If the "baddies" can relegate their button mashing to a single key, they MIGHT be able to not stand in fire, but you took that functionality away. Where you claim you want to make the game "more accessible" (i.e. easier than a coloring book), then why did you remove something that made it 10 fold so.
I understand and respect gaming masochism. But, I think that changing mechanics to be more reasonable and less punishing is an improvement, not a detriment, to games in general. Many of us Original Gamers pine for the days of D&D-based yore when games were seemingly intended to break us down into sobbing masses created by an uncaring necromancer of pain and suffering, or at least didn't try to avoid it. Overcoming all of the obstacles (I CHOOSE NOT TO SHOOT HER WITH THE SILVER ARROW... NOOOOO) was a big part of what gaming (I HAVE 1 LIFE!?), and especially PC gaming (HOW DO I LOAD MOUSE DRIVERS?), were about. But, I feel we're lucky to now be in an age where those ideals (intended or not) are giving way to actual fun, actual challenge, and not fabricating it through high-reach requirements (I NEED A FAIRY MONK WITH A MAGIC LOCKPICK?).

What we've always been trying to do, what WoW has always been about (and to which much of its success is due) is to make an accessible MMO. Anyone that looks back at the game at launch and wishes it was as challenging now as it was then is not aware of the painstaking effort put into making this game accessible as compared to its predecessors. Since release we've refined that intent, eventually evolving the very few masochistic designs WoW actually ever started with, but ideally still offering those same prestige goals that give that feeling of achieving something great if you're able to pull it off. We've made a lot of progress toward striking that balance and continuing to evolve the game, but it's not something we're ever likely to perfect, and we'll be constantly working to hit that elusive goal. Hopefully it's to the benefit of everyone playing and enjoying the game, and they'll continue to enjoy the journey that a living, breathing, persistent universe will take us on.

And not one part of that had anything to do with having fun.

What the hell are you talking about? Rpg. Look up any rpg in the world. THEY'RE ALL HARD.
You cannot tell me that making a game easy makes it fun. Remembering everything you need to do and doing it right is the fun of this game. If you make everything easy than no one is going to play it. You think fps games are going to shoot for you? Do you think mario is gonna jump higher for you? This game is about hard work and pride and people that don't want to take the time to get ANYTHING shouldn't be playing and RPG.
You're reasoning makes no sense.
Honestly everything would at minimum, OKAY, but then you nerfed heroics. You made it so "pugs" could get through the content easily. Why are you going to do that when you created a monster of large guilds? Seriously, if you're going to do one thing than stand by it instead of letting all the whining pricks get their way. This game is meant to be HARD, not "I wanna play world of warcraft, oh look bunnies lets kill them and get purples"
04/12/2011 06:31 AMPosted by Hacobo
And not one part of that had anything to do with having fun.

Hopefully it's to the benefit of everyone playing and enjoying the game

Wouldn't enjoying the game qualify as having fun?