That it?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 21 Next

Well, someone doing the dailies every day will certainly achieve the rewards faster than someone who only doesn't... But there's no comparison between coordinating 10 or 25 people to put all their concentration into the game for many hours a night, multiple nights, and someone choosing to log in and do a few quests by themselves every day.

but say i'm johnny casual who logs on 2 nights a week and my buddy mikey "the daily destroyer" is further along in the phasing/etc than me.

can we even be in a group and do dailies together? or will he be on a completely different set in a completely different phase than me?
I think this is probably a good time of year to have a small tier. The weather encourages people to spend more time outside, won't be long before people are involved in summer activities. Though I do wish Blizzard would go back to a separate normal and heroic lockout scheme. Back in Wrath I'd do 25 normals, 10 heroics for logistical reasons from being on a low pop realm. However now with the overly severe lockout limitations in place, I've stopped raiding and really don't see myself getting back into it.
so it's ToC all over again?

at least we won't have to run it 4 times a week to max badge gains, but still...not even a ~3 boss side-raid so we don't get sick of fire everywhere too fast?

at least we won't have to run it 4 times a week to max badge gains, but still...not even a ~3 boss side-raid so we don't get sick of fire everywhere too fast?

Quantity does not equal quality. Sunwell had 6 bosses and is considered one of the hardest and best raids ever by hardcore players.

Quantity does not equal quality. Sunwell had 6 bosses and is considered one of the hardest and best raids ever by hardcore players.

well forgive everybody... but the taste of ToC is a bit more fresh in most players mouths. and it STILL reeks foul.
04/28/2011 04:02 PMPosted by Bashiok
Yeah, I mean that's a tough situation because our feeling is simply that people shouldn't be forced to play the game more than a couple nights a week to keep up on progression. We realize though that some people legitimately like playing every night, and having real reasons to be in the game and playing with raid groups and such. There's obviously things like alts, professions, achievements, PvP, to keep people busy, but it's ultimately something we'd like to get a better handle on. Having content that isn't forcing people to log in every night, but still offering something that's meaningful for those that do. Understand though that by definition those types of things can't lead to player power or else everyone will be back to having to log on every single night to keep pace. Anyway, it's something we very much want to get a better handle on, but it's not something we're going to solve easily.

Please point me in the direction of the current culture of raiders that have been clamoring for anywhere near this steep of a drop in weekly 'stuff do to'. Note that I said raider culture, not overall WoW culture, dailies are nearly irrelevant to most of us. The extreme hardcore raid 5 nights a week, plus, yes. But the average is 3 nights, and I have seen extremely little complaint about that. That is an optimal amount of time to spend with the game and guild to still feel involved, and yet be able to maintain a normal life, in -many- people's opinions.

WoW is a large game that can cater to -many- different demographics and cultures of players. However, if you either misunderstand how the raider demographic wishes to play the game to this degree, or if you simply wish to let the casual content go so far as to nearly completely decimate the standard way that most raiders enjoy the game and spending time with their guild, then, well, it's been good knowing you, we don't exactly want to leave, but you apparently don't want us around any more.

Again, WoW is a large game that can support many, if not all, playstyles. Design more casual content if they need it, but don't destroy the content for other demographics in the process.
In regards to the dailies (because id like something awesome to do the days im NOT raiding) is there going to be any dynamic stuff planned? Dynamic as in not just changes day to day but could change as youre slaughtering around in firelands? Think zombie event in that you might go to turn in a quest and see that everyone is now zombies when i mean dynamic.
04/28/2011 04:16 PMPosted by Bashiok
Well, someone doing the dailies every day will certainly achieve the rewards faster than someone who doesn't... But there's no comparison between coordinating 10 or 25 people to put all their concentration into the game for many hours a night, multiple nights, and someone choosing to log in and do a few quests by themselves every day.

Will the fact that quest difficulty varries wildly by spec and class be at least marginally considered this time? TB were quests great, if you were a plate dps and could power down mobs quickly and take minimal damage from them. They're a lot less fun on a healer however. To the point where it was faster to have said plate dps solo the quests while a healer followed them around, occasionally doing something helpful, but mostly just making their friend carry them. It was very very lame, and either way took eons.
So your net result so far for this expansion, stop me if I'm reading this wrong:

1) Raiders have to raid less than they used to because 10 and 25 man have the same lockouts.

2) Raiders will have LESS content on a 10 or 25 man basis because you think 7 is suddenly the end all be all number when prior well received tiers had no less 10 new bosses.

What the heck are you people doing over there? You're all over the place when it comes to how fast the legendary should be completed, completely going back and forth on "If 25 man can complete if faster", and now this garbage? Do you guys really not care about WoW anymore? Cause that's honestly my impression, for the first time since I've been playing since Vanilla.

Oh well, was a heck of a ride I guess, but it's painfully obvious that when a company that's supposed to be selling a product that keeps us playing because, ya know, we PAY TO PLAY IT, tells us "Well, we don't want people to feel like they should log on every single night," you're done.

One other note, didn't you guys swear that each tier would be content rich when the lockout system was first announced for Cata? How rich can you consider only 7 new bosses?
Yeah, I mean that's a tough situation because our feeling is simply that people shouldn't be forced to play the game more than a couple nights a week to keep up on progression. We realize though that some people legitimately like playing every night, and having real reasons to be in the game and playing with raid groups and such. There's obviously things like alts, professions, achievements, PvP, to keep people busy, but it's ultimately something we'd like to get a better handle on. Having content that isn't forcing people to log in every night, but still offering something that's meaningful for those that do. Understand though that by definition those types of things can't lead to player power or else everyone will be back to having to log on every single night to keep pace. Anyway, it's something we very much want to get a better handle on, but it's not something we're going to solve easily.

Please point me in the direction of the current culture of raiders that have been clamoring for anywhere near this steep of a drop in weekly 'stuff do to'. Note that I said raider culture, not overall WoW culture, dailies are nearly irrelevant to most of us. The extreme hardcore raid 5 nights a week, plus, yes. But the average is 3 nights, and I have seen extremely little complaint about that. That is an optimal amount of time to spend with the game and guild to still feel involved, and yet be able to maintain a normal life, in -many- people's opinions.

WoW is a large game that can cater to -many- different demographics and cultures of players. However, if you either misunderstand how the raider demographic wishes to play the game to this degree, or if you simply wish to let the casual content go so far as to nearly completely decimate the standard way that most raiders enjoy the game and spending time with their guild, then, well, it's been good knowing you, we don't exactly want to leave, but you apparently don't want us around any more.

Again, WoW is a large game that can support many, if not all, playstyles. Design more casual content if they need it, but don't destroy the content for other demographics in the process.

How is giving people more free time a bad thing? It gives you more time to do other things! WoW has a bad reputation for being "addictive" and consuming people's lives and time. And in order to not make those reputations a reality they're going to have to step away from the "You must be on for as long as you can be on every single day!" mentality.

What the heck are you people doing over there? You're all over the place when it comes to how fast the legendary should be completed, completely going back and forth on "If 25 man can complete if faster", and now this garbage? Do you guys really not care about WoW anymore? Cause that's honestly my impression, for the first time since I've been playing since Vanilla.

Oh well, was a heck of a ride I guess, but it's painfully obvious that when a company that's supposed to be selling a product that keeps us playing because, ya know, we PAY TO PLAY IT, tells us "Well, we don't want people to feel like they should log on every single night," you're done.

You as well need to step back and think for a second if you really think you need to be playing WoW everyday for as long as you can. Whats wrong with having like 3 days each week of a solid and fun raiding experience a week and then having the rest of it to yourself?
04/28/2011 04:02 PMPosted by Bashiok

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong, because I'm reading it as "Everyone should only need a couple nights to progress as fast as everyone else" which would be absolutely catastrophic for the progression raiding scene.

Equally skilled players who spend more time working on something should be able to progress faster. That's the very nature of an MMORPG.

I play WoW because I like raiding. I like hanging out with my guildmates and killing bosses. PVP is alright but not particularly my cup of tea (I prefer Starcraft for competitive player-vs-player action). Alts can be fun but they don't drive me to log in. Achievements are nice but again, I don't log in for them. My professions are maxed and I have all the recipes I care to get - there's nothing to entertain me there.

Even when everything's on farm, I prefer having 2-3 nights a week just to clear everything, so I can log in and have fun playing World of Warcraft with my friends. If it only takes 2 nights a week to progress (or perhaps more likely, 4 nights for maybe a month or two), then what is WoW going to offer me when everything's on farm?

Raiders don't raid 4+ nights a week because we have to, we raid because we like to. This policy, to me, doesn't read as "I don't have to spend as long raiding", it reads as "There isn't as much for me to do."
It's funny how some of these posters were doing the same breath-holding routine a year ago and yet are still here.
04/28/2011 04:33 PMPosted by Lore

Please tell me I'm reading this wrong, because I'm reading it as "Everyone should only need a couple nights to progress as fast as everyone else" which would be absolutely catastrophic for the progression raiding scene.

Equally skilled players who spend more time working on something should be able to progress faster. That's the very nature of an MMORPG.

I play WoW because I like raiding. I like hanging out with my guildmates and killing bosses. PVP is alright but not particularly my cup of tea (I prefer Starcraft for competitive player-vs-player action). Alts can be fun but they don't drive me to log in. Achievements are nice but again, I don't log in for them. My professions are maxed and I have all the recipes I care to get - there's nothing to entertain me there.

Even when everything's on farm, I prefer having 2-3 nights a week just to clear everything, so I can log in and have fun playing World of Warcraft with my friends. If it only takes 2 nights a week to progress (or perhaps more likely, 4 nights for maybe a month or two), then what is WoW going to offer me when everything's on farm?

Raiders don't raid 4+ nights a week because we have to, we raid because we like to. This policy, to me, doesn't read as "I don't have to spend as long raiding", it reads as "There isn't as much for me to do."

I think you read it wrong. The point of the post was "People shouldn't be forced on everyday" and not "People should progress just as fast as everyone else" as you were saying.