Survival PVE Guide (4.1)

Hunter
Prev 1 12 13 14
Cobra shot refreshes Serpent sting, so there is no need to cast serpent sting again.. unless it falls off the mob.

~Aseny
New to survival, I have a quick question- My rotation is Serpent Sting-Black Arrow-Explosive Shot-Cobra x 3 etc., throwing in Arcane shot here and there, but sometime when Serpent Sting has cooled down, it won't fire because a "Stronger spell is active"....this is messing me up obviously, and I'm not sure what I'm doing that won't let me get off a SS and begin my rotation again.

Also, are there any changes in my tree or my cat's tree that will increase dps?

Thanks

I didn't look at your talents but one thing to keep in mind is that there is no fixed rotation in SV. SV is mainly based on shot priority - as long as you understand what those priorities are. :)
I'm returning from a very very long break, so is this up to date like it's ideal to have that much haste to get 1.66 cobrashot? I mean it says 4.1 but it's 4.3 now.
03/22/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Lecru
I'm returning from a very very long break, so is this up to date like it's ideal to have that much haste to get 1.66 cobrashot? I mean it says 4.1 but it's 4.3 now.

Some current theory crafting has Hit(8%)>Haste(758)>Crit>Mastery>=Haste

If you have Vishanka then Mastery wins. If you have Agi proc/stacking effect then Mastery wins.

If you have a fast weapon like Horn, and or Haste proc/boost trinkets like starcatcher, arrow, etc, then haste will win because you can hit and regularly will proc you up to the second plateau. Just be careful because during certain phases such as heroism/lust if you hit your rapid fire you can see your cobra shots beating the GCD so its a total waste. IF your haste is high enough to cause this then you will want to either reforge some out to mastery, or wait until Hero is ending and then hit rapid fire to extend the haste buff.
Hello I read all of the guide and things look up different sites and tried to figure out what my problem is but I seriously have no clue ... I'm doing heroic DS currently my gear is 401 ilvl have currently 8.01% hit 37.47% crit more than enough haste reforging all I can to mastery. My cobra shot cast is 1.58 so basically my rotation is before entering combat hunter mark and misdirect to the tank after "pulling" with Serpent sting than goes my real rotation : EX, BA, CSx2 , AS. That's my first thing cause after the arcane shot I usually get LnL... If not just doing another EX .On LnL using EX , CS, EX, CS,EX, ASx2 , and repeat . My problem is that with that I'm getting around 30-32k on target dummy unbuffed but when I get in raid my dps drop considerably around 25k at most on ultraxion doing around 35-38k and on blackhorn I'm dropping to 18-20k . So I guess I'm doing something wrong if anybody could help me I would really appreciate it. I mean with the gear I have I feel like I should be pulling way more dps.

Ty Vern
Hey Hunter community, I recently leveled a hunter that I play casually. I have started to do some raiding today and I have had a pretty bad problem with my pet's survivability. More specifically, my pet has been consistently dying during lightning phase on heroic hagara. Is there something I am unaware about pet survivability. I thought pets were immune to AoE damage, was I wrong? Am I supposed to dismiss my pet at some points during boss fights? I honestly do nothing to control my pet (appart from rabid macroed to my shots and call of the wild with RF), I simply put it on assist and hope that it hits my target.

Here is my hunter's armory (I know my gear isnt ready for heroics, I was just filling a missing spot for my guild): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/akama/Doryndorin/advanced

Id appreciate any tips or links on how to control your pet in raids, I couldnt find much information in hunter guides.

Thanks!
any plans to update for 4.3? :( i just picked my hunter back up and wanna do surv.
Hey Hunter community, I recently leveled a hunter that I play casually. I have started to do some raiding today and I have had a pretty bad problem with my pet's survivability. More specifically, my pet has been consistently dying during lightning phase on heroic hagara. Is there something I am unaware about pet survivability. I thought pets were immune to AoE damage, was I wrong? Am I supposed to dismiss my pet at some points during boss fights? I honestly do nothing to control my pet (appart from rabid macroed to my shots and call of the wild with RF), I simply put it on assist and hope that it hits my target.

Here is my hunter's armory (I know my gear isnt ready for heroics, I was just filling a missing spot for my guild): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/akama/Doryndorin/advanced

Id appreciate any tips or links on how to control your pet in raids, I couldnt find much information in hunter guides.

Thanks!

I don't really have many problems with my pet's survivability, but if it keeps happening just spam mend pet during that phase, also make sure you have heart of the phoenix macro'd
I'd write up a 4.3.2 Surv Guide, but seeing as how Mists will be released and it's almost the end of the expansion, is there really a demand for it?
Hello I read all of the guide and things look up different sites and tried to figure out what my problem is but I seriously have no clue ... I'm doing heroic DS currently my gear is 401 ilvl have currently 8.01% hit 37.47% crit more than enough haste reforging all I can to mastery. My cobra shot cast is 1.58 so basically my rotation is before entering combat hunter mark and misdirect to the tank after "pulling" with Serpent sting than goes my real rotation : EX, BA, CSx2 , AS. That's my first thing cause after the arcane shot I usually get LnL... If not just doing another EX .On LnL using EX , CS, EX, CS,EX, ASx2 , and repeat . My problem is that with that I'm getting around 30-32k on target dummy unbuffed but when I get in raid my dps drop considerably around 25k at most on ultraxion doing around 35-38k and on blackhorn I'm dropping to 18-20k . So I guess I'm doing something wrong if anybody could help me I would really appreciate it. I mean with the gear I have I feel like I should be pulling way more dps.

Ty Vern

First thing I notice when I look at your post is your LnL rotation. During LnL your Cobra Shot should not be anywhere near your fingers as the cast time of it removes the ticking debuff of Explosive Shot, replace CS with Arcane Shot and you'll notice a little bit of an increase there. For me personally, I find that reforging mastery is relatively pointless and have since then taken all the mastery I can find on my gear and reforged to crit to help improve my chances of LnL ES ticks to hit harder (Which it does very well). Even in 397 iLvl, I'm seeing DPS much higher than yours for the fights you listed so I'm not sure exactly what you're doing wrong. Then again, you description of your issue wasn't very detailed either. Just saying "I'm bad, I don't know why" isn't exactly the best way to get the help you need. Perhaps consult other Hunter based forums around the internet and see if anyone else has the same issue you have and find the best answer to fit your situation.
Great guide and yeah Survival has massive dps compared to the other two trees currently, i switched to it couple of days ago and was just blown away how much my dps went up lol.

Jewelcrafting: The ability to socket 3 Delicate Chimera's Eye provides 81 extra agility.
Blacksmithing: Extra Glove and wrist sockets provides extra 80 agility.

These points are based on the assumption that you will be using inferno rubies which is not a good assumption at this late stage in the expansion.

Assuming you use Queen's Garnets the above points would be changed to:

Jewelcrafting: The ability to socket 3 Delicate Chimera's Eye provides 51 extra agility.
Blacksmithing: Extra Glove and wrist sockets provides extra 100 agility.

Oh what a difference epic gems makes.
gj on the guide. It helps alot. But I have a couple of quick questions. Is it best for a hunter to duel weild or just have a 2HW? I am only asking cause when you duel weild you get an extra set of stats. And if it is a good idea to duel weild what would the the Enchantments be for the weapons?
07/25/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Tashaalia
gj on the guide. It helps alot. But I have a couple of quick questions. Is it best for a hunter to duel weild or just have a 2HW? I am only asking cause when you duel weild you get an extra set of stats. And if it is a good idea to duel weild what would the the Enchantments be for the weapons?

In my experience a 2hander almost always has stronger stats than two 1handers. For example, Thornwood Staff will give you an extra 77 agility over what you have now, it also has more crit and mastery and no expertise :)

You will lose hit rating, but that's what reforging is for.

Hope I helped :)
Great!