LF Hunter heirloom advice

Hunter
Yes, I want to be one of those people.

I want to gear up this hunter with heirlooms for BG's, and I'd much appreciate advice from anyone already experienced with this :)

My questions are:

Is resil worth it in low level bg's? Or would it be better to get the pve heirlooms and be a glass cannon?

Which weapons are best? Should I go with two Sharpened Scarlet Kris, or is the increased agility and hit rating on the Balanced Heartseeker better?

I want to gear up this hunter with heirlooms for BG's, and I'd much appreciate advice from anyone already experienced with this :)

My questions are:

Is resil worth it in low level bg's? Or would it be better to get the pve heirlooms and be a glass cannon?

Which weapons are best? Should I go with two Sharpened Scarlet Kris, or is the increased agility and hit rating on the Balanced Heartseeker better?

Not gonna speak on the whole PvP heirloom vs PvE heirloom - that's a can o' worms I personally don't want to open

Can speak on the weapons, though - that part's fairly simple.

Since melee weapons are basically stat sticks for us, the ONLY times you wnat to dual-wield two 1h is if the combined stat boosts from both weapons will exceed that of carrying a single 2h weapon.

Agi is our prime stat; both carry Agi, so let's look at that first.

Each Sharpened Scarlet Kris carries +29 Agility; that's +58 Agility total.

That Balanced Heartseeker carries +38 Agility - so, on that level, it seems that the twin Scarlet Kris x2 beats out the Hearseeker.

Now, we look at the secondary stats.. (I'm ignoring Stamina since Stam is fairly common, easy to get whether you want it or not, and is not a real important one for Hunters).

The Sharpened Scarlet Kris carry +29 Resilience, for a total of +58. Sounds nice - then you realize that resilience reduces damage taken, and if we're doing it right as a ranged class we shouldn't be taking all that much damage. It's primarily a PvP stat.

The Balanced Heartseeker, however, carries two very useful stats for a Hunter: +hit and +crit.

+17 hit rating helps all Hunter builds unless you've reached the "soft cap", which, IIRC, is 6% for questing, 8% for raiding/PvP. The idea behind Hit is that you want it to be high enough to where you have a 0%miss chance on enemies up to three levels above you - though the interface in-game only shows you two levels above you. One you reach that cap, excess Hit is wasted (you can't reduce your miss chance below 0%, after all...).

The other stat, the +Crit, is then the dealbreaker. +crit is ALWAYS useful (and there's no soft cap on crit attainable with gear currently in the game), and adds directly to your DPS. If I remember the formula correctly, each crit is roughly equivalent to 2 Agi, so in essence the +30 crit is like having a additonal +60 Agi on the weapon, though you don't get the other benefits of actual AGI (+RAP, +dodge).

Add that equivalent to the Balanced Heartseeker's AGI stat boost, and you have the equivalent of +96 Agi, which is considerably better than the +58 you get from the Sharpened Scarlet Kris.

So, between the two listed, the Heartseeker is better for Hunters overall than the twin Scarlet Kris - as the main benefit to them is extra damage mitigation.
Wow thanks for the in-depth reply Daimoni, much appreciated!
I don't need to add much to what's already been said, except for one thing. ok, a few things.

I'm going to be blunt. Upgrade your non BOA gear and get some enchants on them NOW! BOA items can take enchants that don't have level restrictions so there is no excuses. Please don't neglect your non BOA gear or you will be laughed out of the battleground.

Second. Get a bat pet. They are much better for pvp than spiders at this level as they have a 2 second stun.

Third, the hunters here are all fabulous people, but most of them are focused on the end-game. The best source of information that I have found for low-level pvp is at http://www.twinkinfo.com/forums/forum.php.

My questions are:

Not gonna speak on the whole PvP heirloom vs PvE heirloom - that's a can o' worms I personally don't want to open

Since melee weapons are basically stat sticks for us, the ONLY times you wnat to dual-wield two 1h is if the combined stat boosts from both weapons will exceed that of carrying a single 2h weapon.

That Balanced Heartseeker carries +38 Agility - so, on that level, it seems that the twin Scarlet Kris x2 beats out the Hearseeker.

Now, we look at the secondary stats.. (I'm ignoring Stamina since Stam is fairly common, easy to get whether you want it or not, and is not a real important one for Hunters).

The Sharpened Scarlet Kris carry +29 Resilience, for a total of +58. Sounds nice - then you realize that resilience reduces damage taken, and if we're doing it right as a ranged class we shouldn't be taking all that much damage. It's primarily a PvP stat.

The Balanced Heartseeker, however, carries two very useful stats for a Hunter: +hit and +crit.

+17 hit rating helps all Hunter builds unless you've reached the "soft cap", which, IIRC, is 6% for questing, 8% for raiding/PvP. The idea behind Hit is that you want it to be high enough to where you have a 0%miss chance on enemies up to three levels above you - though the interface in-game only shows you two levels above you. One you reach that cap, excess Hit is wasted (you can't reduce your miss chance below 0%, after all...).

The other stat, the +Crit, is then the dealbreaker. +crit is ALWAYS useful (and there's no soft cap on crit attainable with gear currently in the game), and adds directly to your DPS. If I remember the formula correctly, each crit is roughly equivalent to 2 Agi, so in essence the +30 crit is like having a additonal +60 Agi on the weapon, though you don't get the other benefits of actual AGI (+RAP, +dodge).

Add that equivalent to the Balanced Heartseeker's AGI stat boost, and you have the equivalent of +96 Agi, which is considerably better than the +58 you get from the Sharpened Scarlet Kris.

So, between the two listed, the Heartseeker is better for Hunters overall than the twin Scarlet Kris - as the main benefit to them is extra damage mitigation.

That's a super, in-depth analysis. Unfortunately, it's completely wrong. Resilience and stamina are kings in PvP. Period. Low-level PvP is nothing but an insane burst and zerg fest. The more resilience and stamina you have, the more defense you have against an enemy's burst. PvP at this level is about surviving longer than your enemy. Meaning, health potions, bandages, resilience, and stamina. There's a reason the PvP-based heirlooms have resilience and stamina.

That's a super, in-depth analysis. Unfortunately, it's completely wrong. Resilience and stamina are kings in PvP. Period. Low-level PvP is nothing but an insane burst and zerg fest. The more resilience and stamina you have, the more defense you have against an enemy's burst. PvP at this level is about surviving longer than your enemy. Meaning, health potions, bandages, resilience, and stamina. There's a reason the PvP-based heirlooms have resilience and stamina.

QFT, i stopped reading after you said something about ignoring stamina.
Res and Sta comes hand in hand and are not to be ignored if you're ever talking about PVP.

For example, a rogue comes to you stleath. You both have equally geared BoAs, he opens up on you, you can only win IF you have enough res/sta. If you don't respect Res/Sta then just die in that situation. 100% of the time.
yeah resil and stam is very needed against the 'one shotters'. i got a 42 hunter and freezing trap and aim shot are my best friends. you might be almost dead but if u can trap them they are dead. aim shot ftw (or explosive).

its not that fun after while, its no challenge and trying to beat a hunter as just about any class other than cats and rogues is nearly impossible. those two need to open on you first. my twinked priest dies before i can cast a heal, aim shot nearly kills me if bubbled and auto or arcane finishes the job unless i can get a bubble off then its only another sec and i'm dead. they dont even need to be geared well. its often said 'they have more hunters so we lose'. earlier we were up against 6 hunters in ab and we couldnt hold more than 1 base before a group of them would obliterate everyone. i think its very poor of blizzard to neglect balance from 10-84 as new players are quickly turned off the pvp side of the game (and even the game itself) by the ridiculous imbalances. boa gear just stretched the imbalance even further on the poor newbies.

on my 2nd hunter ramoond (at lvl 17) i got ironman (3 caps) in the first wsg i joined, i was in late, we were 0-2 down and just missed wrecking ball. got that in the 2nd. without pocket heals, i just solo queued. was clearly far better geared than anyone in the bg. just too easy. i could be attacked by many and beat them all. thats not skill thats bs and it gets old quick. not good for the game at all.
At the moment, I am using the 1h sword from justice heirloom, and the dagger from justice heirloom, stacked with 15 agility on both of them. I was using BAR, put 25 agility on it, but when I got enough JP from doing heroics for my friend, I grabbed it. The overall agi/stam + 15 agi on both weapons is far superior then the 2h with str/stam and crit (with a pathetic 25 agility on it).

Dont neglect stam, but dont stack it. You almost always want every piece of gear, to have agility and stam at this level. imo, if you find a piece that has agi/crit, and already have a piece of agi/stam, replace the agi/stam with agi/crit. much more important when it comes to critting for 2.7k with Aimed Shots.
I came back to WoW after a break because I read you could now level in battlegrounds. Then I made this hunter and barely stepped in one before 85.

My thoughts: I leveled a lock purely through bgs before I had access to heirlooms, it was a nightmare. Next was a shaman who ended up elemental in bgs but had enhancement heirlooms. It was cruisy.

Heirlooms at low levels are very overpowered vs anyone who does not have them. Whether you get pvp/pve ones won't really matter. Resilience is particularly strong at low level brackets (compared to how it scales) and there's an absence of easily accessible resilience gear (that you won't immediately level out of).

Get whichever are easier for you to obtain. It will take you around 3 weeks to hit 85 and whether you want to or not, you will start doing more and more pve post level 50-60.
04/23/2011 03:41 PMPosted by Bloodwren

At level 10, resilience is very much worth it. A level 10 has over 70% damage reduction with the resilience heirlooms and Haliscan Jacket with +15 resilience enchant.

That fades quickly so by level 19, the resilience heirlooms only provide a little over 8% damage reduction, and the BoA chest plus 100 hit point enchant is worth more than the 7.5% damage reduction from a Haliscan jacket with +15 resilience enchant.
Where can I purchase a heirloom bow/gun? Thanks
Don't go pvp gear!!!!

Resilience is a wasted stat at low lvls. I found this out the hard way.

I had bought leather gear for my rogue but then decided to make the hunter. I swapped out the shoulders and chest for chain but kept the daggers. I also got the bow over the gun. Well before getting to lvl 60 and buying the lvl 60 epic pieces (had 4k honor at the time anyway), I had the two pvp daggers. That plus the shoulders gave me ~5% dmg reduction from resilience.

5%...and it's also been about that much the whole time.

The question you have to ask yourself is...

Is the 5% worth not having what the other stats have to offer you?

If it offered the res it does now at lower levels, it would offer higher dmg reduction but it doesn't. The res will scale with lvl so at lower lvls, the amount of res it offers is very small.

However when it comes to the daggers...the benefit you'll get from the stamina with the Kris' makes it worth using over the other ones.

In fact, I think I might take the daggers back from my rogue.
The lvl 60 epics were simply something I got so that my rogue could have the boa's back.
Yes?
Very in-depth reply Daimoni, however a few things wrong, for instance you seem to think balanced heartseeker is a 2h weapon 0_o

Also, you've got crit and agi comparison absolutely wrong, agility is far far far FAR better than crit, you're saying 1 crit = 2 agi?! Nonsense man, sorry but you're so wrong there. Crit is indeed our best secondary stat, but it's far outweighed by agility, in fact 1 agi gives 0.607 crit as well as the 2 attack power. Not to mention, agility is increased by 10% as SV, or the attack power it gives is increased by 25% as BM and 10% as MM once you get trueshot aura, plus agility is increased by 5% by kings/motw.

I'd go with whichever daggers are easiest for you to buy personally, they're good either way and the extra stam/resil vs the hit (you want 5% for pvp)/agi/crit is fairly balanced. Low level pvp as a hunter is completely faceroll anyway atm, you'll destroy basically anything out there.
I don't have the Mail Heirlooms, but the Leather ones seem to do just fine. And having Dual Heartseeker + 15Agi x2 = <3. Stamina can save you, but it also helps learn your class better imo. Having to adapt to situations, and respond quickly to, oh lets say a shadowstepping rogue seeking to 1-shot you. Disengaging + Kiting him around with 10%hp left = win.

It helps.
I own King Krush. That is all.