Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 17 Next
Looks like Blizz is trying to negate the need to do extra curricular research. I appreciate this, but I am also afraid of the unintended (and unforeseeable) consequences.
Yay this means less fail groups!
I heavily disagree with this idea. A "loot token" while solving the problem of saving inventory space/disenchanting unwanted drops, it goes a long way towards making the death of a boss less than dramatic. For instance, lets say you kill Nefarion, and he drops 3 "loot tokens" great. 3 people get some drops. You move on to Sinestra, and she drops 4 "loot tokens" great. 4 people get loot. It gets to a point where theres no point to killing them other than getting some impersonal piece of cloth or metal that everyone will have. There will be no variation or interesting item that relates to the boss it drops.
I love this idea... I've never thought it should be expected (or needed) for a player to go outside of the game to be able to play the game. It took me forever to actually go onto a site such as WoWhead or WoWiki to research fights... why? Because I was scared to death I'd get some kind of computer virus or whatnot. I just don't trust those kinds of websites, and I hated the fact it was expected of me to visit them.

This is a good idea, Blizz. :)
05/02/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Barand
4.2) to add some really nice support for loot distribution?

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.

I agree with a token system, this can allow all players a chance at loot on every boss, making it easier for everyone to gear up at the same pace. I have been in raids before, needing a couple of pieces, but everything else would drop, and after multipule runs, those items are being de'ed, and I am still left trying to get the same items, cause they wont drop for me. With a token system, I have a chance to get a token off every boss, an not just hope that my item is gonna drop this week. That may also cut down people who run a group for 1 piece 2-3 bosses in, an leaving when they get the item, leaving the rest of the raid having to replace them. That can be hard sometimes when you have bosses that are down.
It seems no matter what you do Blizz you will always have ppl complaining about this or that. I think you guys are doing a great job. Keep it up. Awesome idea and will really help ppl along.
Looks like Atlas loot will be going away...not a big loss. I would actually like to have to unlock this. Not necessarily by downing it. But at least getting to his room. Or at least waiting until a dungeon has been out a couple weeks before adding the entries for it.
Now if they could just make the content PUG friendly, they might be able to save the game.
This, more than the goody bag, might just get me to tank pugs.

Will be very interested to see this in action.
I always thought this sort of feature should get populated as you find and read books throughout Azeroth. A librarian could give hints or clues as to where there are books that tell you about boss X.

I see how doing such a thing for Dungeon bosses might be too much for newbies, but for people Raiding, I think the fun of seeking out helpful info would add to Raiding experience.
So youre trying to say Crabby was a legit add to the game?
brillliant
I know this will probably break my preferred quest/map addon all to fel and back, but I really love the idea. /approve.
Yeah another addon that will go bankrupt after this, also known as Atlasloot.
I would like to see the addition of being able to save notes on this client side, so you can remember certain things about certain bosses.
Will Crabby be able to tell me about it through voice chat?
05/02/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Barand
4.2) to add some really nice support for loot distribution?

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

So we almost never DE anything... that could make coming up with maelstrom crystals interesting. Plus it would remove the whole, "Yes we finally downed this new boss, I wonder what's gonna drop!" thing from the equation, and leaves you with, "Oh look, ANOTHER token... yay" And you'd end up with a huge vendor table to try to find your gear on... oh you want the epic leather gloves, check on page 17... oh wait, did you mean the agility ones, those are on 22... oh you wanted the haste mastery ones, not the hit/crit ones, well those are on page 9...

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.

So... what? we're going to have different tokens for each boss now? What happens with the next tier of content, and the one after that? There's a reason why blizzard decided to do away with the vast majority of tokens and much of the token system they were using. By the time they got into wotlk there were dozens of tokens to keep track of, most of which were almost never even used anymore.

I understand the reasoning for wanting something like this, but it's not practical, and it's not fun. I know trying to get a particular drop week after week and having no luck is also not fun, but this isn't the solution
I'll be personally missing figuring stuff out.

There will be yet even less interaction between people in dungeons.

(1) when has there ever been any interaction between people in RDF? Except maybe for people to yell, "GO! GO!"
(2) won't miss being reviled for forgetting that in phase 3 vs Big Smashy Boss you have to run in circles yelling Whoop Whoop Whoop or you get one-shotted, CAUSE EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT YOU FOKKEN N00Btard!!!!
I don't believe this will limit communication amongst the team. The post stated that "we will not be giving any strategy tips in the Dungeon Journal". So basically you will only be given a move list. You will still need to discuss ways to counteract these moves.

This is a great addition and I welcome it fullheartedly. It seems like they are incorporating popular wow addons into their own programming. Which is great!
My questions relate to computer memory and Frame Rate requirements:

Will I lag more frequently in Dungeons and Raids because of this new feature? It's obviously gonna take some space and there are a LOT of dungeons and raids which means a LOT of information to add to this feature, especially if you're listing EVERY potential drop from EVERY boss.

Will there be an option to toggle this feature off if I so choose? If it's gonna be a Frame Rate/Memory hog I think this would be a great thing to offer.

One of the enticing aspects of World of Warcraft is that it doesn't require a Mega-Computer to run it. Even with the release of Cata I was able to afford new graphics cards for my FAMILY of players (we are a family of 6 and all 6 of us play this game). I was even able to upgrade memory for 2 of the 6 computers and they are now running smoothly in every dungeon without having to reduce graphics or particle density and all that jazz.

I love the idea, would definately make it beneficial in deciding what places to run because plate gear doesn't drop off every boss.

I just hope that it doesn't sink my computer (or any of the other 5 in my house) in regards to performance.