Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 17 Next
05/05/2011 10:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
I wanted to come back to this thread to update and clarify some information that I provided previously on how much information we plan to add to the Dungeon Journal. We actually do plan to provide specific information on the abilities and damage that will be done as well as information on the phases. We will not, however, be providing any strategies on how to defeat the bosses. That will be solely up to you to figure out. We hope that by providing this information in an easily accessible way, that it will help people be able to spend their time in game actually taking on these encounters more than spending it out of game doing research.

I still don't see much value in this. People are still going to spend just as much time watching that video or reading that forum/blog about a strategy. What good is this journal for people who wipe over and over? They will end up researching outside of the game if they can't defeat the encounter.
So now noobs dont even have to know how to use google anymore. So cool!

Just kidding. This sounds dumb. There's plenty of online resources already. Don't coddle the players by putting the walkthrough directly in the game

good thing you left out the part where he says- "This ability will cause all players in the affected area to take damage," it won’t say anything explicit like "All players except the tank should stand behind the boss during his Shield phase."
maybe consider instead of automatically having a magical book that's all knowing, having the players pick up books "Demon's souls" style, where dead NPC's here or there have a quest that gives players their journal pages (at the very least, it'd serve to prevent spoilers? it'd also give a cool prompt like "Your journal has been updated (click)"
Amazing! Blizzard is trying to cater to the UI by taking Addons that people usually use and actually implement them into to the game. I like this. It will be like AtlasLoot and having your own personal WoWhead for the newer players that dont read it.

This will be great for players who refuse to speak up about not knowing the fights.
i'll be honest all blizzard seems to be doing is trolling the add on databases and adding features based on the most downloaded add on IE first came the quest helper , threat meters were next, and now we have the equivalent of what amounts to atlas loot, next thing we'll have a combanation of dbm and gtfo , whats going to be the point soo our toons will play themselves, dear blizzard quit dumbing down the game and make it fun again
This is a bad idea.

If people don't do fight research now why would they do it in-game? Tankspot, among other amazing sites, does a really good job of explaining boss fights and abilities. How hard can it be to type something like www.websitethatknowsbossfights.com in your browser and watch a freakin' video? If they can't watch a video that's so nice to explain everything why would they try to READ the information and THINK about what they need to do?

Lazy people will continue to be lazy.

EDIT: Also, if you download Deadly Boss Mods, it basically force-feeds you a lot of pertinent information you can use to get through most fights without causing serious problems. But, again, that requires people to do something. Like click "download Curse Client" and "Get Addon" buttons.

A little? Your writers have written entire books about WoW, i think you can do better than just "a little".

Because that's what we all need... The noobs who are holding up the group while they read about the boss fight holding up the group while they read a book's worth of flavor text.
I want mine in strawberry flavor! =P

This is basically the same thing as yelling at Nascar for handing out earplugs to fans instead of expecting them to bring them from home, which many already do.

Some people really need to use that soft tissue stored inside their head called a brain
isnt that what the earplugs are for?
We'll still have the lame people who have to be told everything because they won't take the time to read. No matter how much you try to help the low end on the intelligence scale, they won't help themselves. This will be good for generally good people who want to learn though.
Wow why not just make a button to say you completed the dungeon here is your loot. It is sad that WoW keeps making things esier and easier and I'm a Casual player.
So now noobs dont even have to know how to use google anymore. So cool!

Just kidding. This sounds dumb. There's plenty of online resources already. Don't coddle the players by putting the walkthrough directly in the game

You mistake this implementation as a walk-through. While you will be told the items and abilities the boss will employ, it will not tell you when, how much damage, where to stand etc. This is merely an extra in-game tool to help players get into the encounters, understand them a little better, and enjoy them. The ability to take down the boss is still soundly within player hands and abilities.

ok I stand corrected.
05/05/2011 10:18 AMPosted by Nysem
I wanted to come back to this thread to update and clarify some information that I provided previously on how much information we plan to add to the Dungeon Journal. We actually do plan to provide specific information on the abilities and damage that will be done as well as information on the phases. We will not, however, be providing any strategies on how to defeat the bosses. That will be solely up to you to figure out. We hope that by providing this information in an easily accessible way, that it will help people be able to spend their time in game actually taking on these encounters more than spending it out of game doing research.

Will Crabby be a part of this feature? :(

He better.
I think this Dungeon Journal should not include any data until you actually start doing the dungeon, like the loot table will not show until a piece of equipment drops then it can be recorded in the journal.
I'll probably toss a suggestion onto the Suggestion forums, but I would greatly appreciate a Lore section as well as Loot section... I want to know what this boss does as an entity in WoW. Why he is where he is. How did he get here What is his back story. What his responsibilities are or what his motives might be at this moment. Why might I want to get rid of him, why might I want to feel sorry for his predicament?
This sounds amazing. I wish this was implemented ages ago. I personally look up boss fights on Tankspot, Wowpedia, and such at least two weeks prior to going to a raid, so that by the time it rolls around, I know what to expect. Although it doesn't give a super-detailed stratagey, such as Tankspot does, it should supply enough info for you to be prepared to deal with a change in situation. Thank you Blizzard, this, so far, is the ONE thing I'm looking forward to for 4.2
Will guild masters or officers be able to update the journal for their whole raid?

If not, will single members be able to update their own journals?

I say this not in speculation that your own information will not be enough, but because you said you aren't going to give us strategy. If the GM or person can update their own journal, we can add our own strategy of how we deal with certain aspects of an encounter.

05/07/2011 09:51 AMPosted by Rhod
Thank you Blizzard, this, so far, is the ONE thing I'm looking forward to for 4.2

Agreed, I look forward to firelands, but this could really be a monumental change like LFD was.
It not really like that. Why use google or an addon, when you can use this type of tool that will show the details of the instance and their bosses, I do not get what is so carebear about it.