Mastery cap for a BM hunter?

Hunter
I don't have a ton of time to research this board. Can anyone tell me where cap is for mastery? I am about to start reforging, gemming and enchanting this toon and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Butters
There isn't one.

Bioth Hit and Haste have soft caps (Hit around 8% or so, Haste varies according to which tree you're in).

Crit and Mastery have no soft caps - for no other reason that there isn't any gear inthe game with high enough stats to push either one to 100%. That may not hold true inthe future, witht he way Bliz does itemization - but for now it is. Opinions on how must Mastery you should have vary too - 100 or so's a starting point. Remember that Crit adds to DPS too - Mastery adds to a pet's base damage for MM.
Crit actually has a soft cap for MM hunters (and others who include the Careful Aim talent) at either 40.6% or 44.8%. I have seen people claim that the boss crit cap is either 100.6% or 104.8%, but am not sure who is correct. I don't think either of these are attainable outside of full raid buffs and crit stacking.

Because the Careful Aim talent adds 60% to your crit rate, reaching one of those two values will guarantee a crit during the Careful Aim phase. Above that point, crit starts to decline in value, but is still probably the best stat to stack.

For BM, Mastery increases pet damage without limit. There is no limit to the amount of extra damage your pet can do by stacking mastery. MM, on the other hand, has a Mastery cap because there is a point where you will have a 100% chance to fire a Wild Quiver shot. That point is not reachable yet (and probably never will be).
Thanks for the responses. I am actually having a ton of fun with the BM spec and wasn't sure about the mastery cap. I knew that it affected pet dps, but not that it was basically cap less.

Seeing as how I can not get to a cap in mastery, do you know where I should be with Hit and Crit?

All help is always appreciated!

I don't have a ton of time to research this board. Can anyone tell me where cap is for mastery? I am about to start reforging, gemming and enchanting this toon and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Butters

Well I would be concerned with you being under hit cap. Which the cap is 961
Hit: 5% for PvP/normal 85 instances, 6% for heroic instances, 8% for raids.
Crit: As high as you can reasonably get it. 104.8% is the hard cap for raid bosses, so for all practical purposes there's no limit on it. Just don't neglect agi or the hit cap for whatever content you're focusing on.
Go as high as you can with crit. I would sacrifice haste to do so for BM. If your pet can be on the target a good portion of the time, mastery will beat haste solidly. And for most fights, your pet will be on the target enough for this to hold true. For the fights where your pet can't be on the target for a good portion of the time, you should probably be another spec anyway. There is a lot of questionable info out there, but mastery simply beats haste at realistic levels of both.

You want to be at 8% hit ideally for raid bosses, but it's not the end of the world if you are below that. Even full percentages below that. Not ideal, but not the end of the world.

Getting high crit should be your focus though.
Thanks for the responses. I am actually having a ton of fun with the BM spec and wasn't sure about the mastery cap. I knew that it affected pet dps, but not that it was basically cap less.

Seeing as how I can not get to a cap in mastery, do you know where I should be with Hit and Crit?

All help is always appreciated!

The IDEAL hit cap (if you're min/maxing) varies with what you're doing - a rule of thumb is to get it to 8% (raid boss level) then stop - as you're golden for everything else at that point.

Crit and Mastery for a BM Hunter - well, getting high Crit is desirable, as you crit more often - Mastery adds to the pet's base damage, which is multiplied to 200% WHEN you crit. Crit is ALWAYS good to rise, just remember to get some Mastery in as well, for higher pet famage. There's really not a "set amount" of either for a BM to have - so just balance it out however you think is best - more base/crit damage, or more crits. BOTH are valuable - and Mastery only affects your pet as BM - crit affects you both.
Funny thing is, haste is equal to mastery when not at haste plateaus. With 4pc t11, you get the most out of 726 haste but after that, haste and mastery are dead equal stats. Their individual values flux based on the fight conditions. Most high end hunters reforge all of their mastery to haste because they do no more than necessary movement during the fight, making haste slightly better since they can maximize Cobra uptime. Mastery ends up slightly ahead for fights like AC when you're moving constantly. For your general purpose raider though, you could not reforge them at all except to hit or crit and have near identical results provided you're at 726 haste. There's no definitive proof of X being better than Y across the board this tier. Maybe next tier, but as of now, they should be considered identical and flavor stats.

If you're doing 25m HMs and you move no more than absolutely necessary, haste has a very minute edge. For the general 10 or 25 reg mode raiders, they can be taken as identical values.

I know this isn't what the OP asked but clearing this up with so many BM hunters on the forums wearing by mastery like it's the end all be all.