Overrated bands that everyone seems to love

Movies, TV and Entertainment
1 2 3 21 Next
For me it's Sublime and the Beatles. Can't stand either of them but everyone I know seems to love both of them.

What are some bands that you hate that everyone else you know loves?
To be honest, Muse... My entire friend group ADORES them... I only like that one song that was like downloadable content for Guitar Hero...

On the flip side, I secretly love Celine Dion and everyone I know absolutely hates her. *hugs her CD's in the closet*
How can you claim the Beatles are overrated?

They were one of if not the most influential bands in history.

I think you need to understand the distinction between overrated and you just not liking them. There is a difference and one does not mean the other.
Without the Beatles you wouldn't have any of your favorite bands at this time. Their influence permeates pretty much everything you hear today. ;)

As far as overrated: Lady Gaga comes to mind. She's a great entertainer...and I like her world views... but, musically, she's not pushing the envelope at all...

I think you need to understand the distinction between overrated and you just not liking them. There is a difference and one does not mean the other.

No, they really weren't.

They didn't break any ground that the Beach Boys hadn't already.

The fact that everyone seems to claim they were "OMG SO INFLUENTIAL" proves how overrated they really are.
05/09/2011 08:53 PMPosted by Jeanjacket
My whole school seems to be in love with Daft Punk because for some reason electronic music is suuuper popular now. I think Daft Punk's music is good but you get tired of it fast.

I forgot about Daft Punk. A couple years ago I tried listening to their albums (and I'm even a fan of electronic music). I just couldn't do it. So horrible.
Nickback.
Can we change the subject to anyone that produces cacophony?

If so, then I nominate LMFAO
05/09/2011 09:18 PMPosted by Alare
Nickback.

/thread

Their first two albums were, while not masterpieces, listenable; their recent stuff is just bleh.

I'd also like to add Creed to the list. I only liked one of their songs (What If). The rest? Meh.

while i agree that the beatles are not overrated, but, as has been pointed out, they didn't break any ground that brian wilson hadn't already broken, and if you talk to anyone that knows anything about the british bands of the 60s, the animals had far more talent, but weren't as marketable. the beatles really weren't doing anything that other bands of the time weren't also doing, they just sold more records cuz chicks digged em.

right now the most overrated band i hear is Nickleback... those guys suck the sweatiest part of my sac... i dont get why they are famous.

while i agree that the beatles are not overrated, but, as has been pointed out, they didn't break any ground that brian wilson hadn't already broken, and if you talk to anyone that knows anything about the british bands of the 60s, the animals had far more talent, but weren't as marketable. the beatles really weren't doing anything that other bands of the time weren't also doing, they just sold more records cuz chicks digged em.

right now the most overrated band i hear is Nickleback... those guys suck the sweatiest part of my sac... i dont get why they are famous.

I don't think it's a matter of whether they were actually being original or not, the fact of the matter is that tons of huge artists that came after them listed them as an influence.
Lady Gaga apparently.

And Nirvana.
As great as Pet Sounds was, do you really think it had a larger impact on the future of music than Sgt. Pepper did? It wasn't Love me Do that made them influential.
The Beatles,Paramore and Nirvana And Icp and any other bands that are on their horribe record company or w.e bullsh!t they have
The beatles are boring as hell to listen to.
Paramore is just annoying as hell to listen to.
And Nirvana just repeated themselvs to much in songs...
And icp sure the whole family thing is ok...i guess....but they have the worst songs ever and are just terribe to listen to..and not to mention everyone that went to school with me that liked them were dirty as hell. -_-
Lady Gaga apparently.

And Nirvana.

These artists are actually talented. Most of what I would mention has already been mentioned. I'll throw Radiohead into the ring though. Booooorrrrinnnggggg!!!! I love depressing music, but these guys just make me want to fall asleep, and not in a good way, simply from boredom.
Eminem? I just... I just don't get the appeal. I haven't listened to much of his music, and it's not like it's the worst stuff I've ever heard, but... people I know say he's one of the most talented artists they've ever heard.
Godsmack

The Wallflowers

I hate bands fronted by guys that can't sing for #%!@.
Beatles are overrated. Ya they were good but not that great... You have to think of the time they came out 1959 Buddy holly Big Booper and ritchie valens died. so there was a void. Of course the Beatles were there to fill the void soon after.

Why do people think they are overrated well because their songs consist of these topics:

Love, Drugs, Peace.

Pretty much it.

The beatles should not be considered influenctial, if they did influence any body it would be these groups:

Boy Bands, "pop" singers, Soft rockers(lol), Hippies.

I should also mention that Charles Manson is a die hard fan of the Beatles hell he believed their songs were prophecy of a Race War (aka he was High 1/2 of his life thus damaging his brain and therefore making him believe that the Beatle's albums were prophecies).

As to the OP Sublime is not really overrated they can be compared to nirvana since their lead singer/ guitarist is dead so the band can never truly be brought together and what ever songs they made is what you are going to get and nothing more. So radio stations tend to overplay their popular songs.