Low level PvP Gear

Battlegrounds
While I believe that the BoA gap is a bit blown out of proportion, I do think it is somewhat off that we've got three leveling routes but only two of them are supported. Both questing and dungeon leveling support themselves by giving gear; however, battleground leveling does not. If people want to level through battlegrounds (which many do), they don't really have any appropriate gear available to them.

That said, a "simple" solution is to add PvP gear to low level battlegrounds. BoAs are meant as a reward to players who've leveled before so they can get an xp boost and not have to upgrade their gear as they level. That's great, but what do BG levelers get? A smattering of gear available from out of the way vendors that are remnants from vanilla. There should really be pieces available for honour throughout all the brackets and at varying levels. Quick example pulled out of thin air...

Level 10 - Gloves, Boots [~10 honour each]
Level 12 - Belt, Bracers, Cloak [~10 honour each]
Level 14 - Weapons, Off-hand, Wand, Chest, Legs [ ~15 honour each]
Level 16 - Neck, Rings [ ~15 honour each]
Level 18 - Shoulders, Trinkets [ ~20 honour each]
Level 20 - <repeat cycle for increased honour cost>

etc...

This gear should be PvP appropriate, in that it contains resilience and appropriate stats for the class buying it. They can either be comparable with BoAs or slightly behind, it doesn't matter, it just matters that they are available.

This also has the added bonus of introducing players to resilience and the concept of PvP gear early. So people don't arrive at 85 and go, "Why am I getting 1-shot, yet can barely touch people!?"

Anyway, thoughts?
Blizzard making PvP gear for levels 10-20 is a waste of resources. You can almost level from 10-20 by doing about 10-15 AB games.
Its probably better for the leveling toons in question to focus more on crafted gear, and gear that is easy to obtain via short quest chain plus the PvP gear that is in place.
Blizzard making PvP gear for levels 10-20 is a waste of resources. You can almost level from 10-20 by doing about 10-15 AB games.

I don't feel like it would take that long to do. It's not like we're expecting new models here, just gear. Heck the stats could even be straight copied from the BoA level at that range. Also, I think at best you might get half a level per BG game, yea? I'm ball parking here, but I've never gotten more than 50% from a win, and a loss is perhaps 10% at best? I think there's more games in there than you might think. Plus the gear gives you a way to be useful.. that first bracket might be rough, but since it upgrades in a cycle across the brackets, future games will be better.

05/16/2011 10:06 AMPosted by Sindyr
Its probably better for the leveling toons in question to focus more on crafted gear, and gear that is easy to obtain via short quest chain plus the PvP gear that is in place.

Do you really feel there is adequate gear available right now low level pvp gear? There is nothing available with resilience (something sorely needed in the low brackets right now due to excessively high damage levels) and the slot coverage isn't the best. Additionally, the existing gear (pre-60) covers maybe a few pieces. I'm proposing a way for BG toons to get a comprehensive gear set that works for PvP as they progress. I suppose it could be made available via crafting if more recopies were made available. That could work too :)
Doubt blizz would ever go for this but they do need to at the least revamp lower lvl pvp gear a touch to bring it in line and perhaps add a few slot pieces to the ones they have in place.

In addition, add HOLY pally gear to the AB rewards....or at least give us access to what other healers use.
I have gotten as much as 3.5 levels for a WSG win. I did recruit a friend (gives 3x as much XP when playing together) and we hit up WSG as soon as we dinged level 10. I didn't use heirlooms, because I didn't want to out level him, when he was granting me levels anyway. We won our first game, and each went from level 10 to halfway through 13.

Under the right circumstances, a person could go from 10 - 20 in a couple hours.

Ah I had forgotten about recruit a friend. That said, you're hardly talking about the general case. I'd imagine a single dungeon run at 15 would bump you up a couple levels too, eh?
I'm confused, isn't your suggestion what is already implemented with the battleground faction quartermasters? You can already buy low level PvP gear with honor points from the quartermasters sitting right outside the instance portals for each respective battleground. Now, you actually have to travel out to Ashenvale, Arathi, Alterac, etc., but it is there.

Are NPCs like http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15127 (Arathi Quartermaster) and http://www.wowhead.com/npc=14753 (Silverwing Quartermaster) not what you want? If no, what do you want?
05/16/2011 10:27 AMPosted by Smellybeard
Do you really feel there is adequate gear available right now low level pvp gear? There is nothing available with resilience (something sorely needed in the low brackets right now due to excessively high damage levels)

High Health is almost as good as resilience. There is also armor, dodge and/or resistance stacking available to the character.
I'm confused, isn't your suggestion what is already implemented with the battleground faction quartermasters? You can already buy low level PvP gear with honor points from the quartermasters sitting right outside the instance portals for each respective battleground. Now, you actually have to travel out to Ashenvale, Arathi, Alterac, etc., but it is there.

Are NPCs like http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15127 (Arathi Quartermaster) and http://www.wowhead.com/npc=14753 (Silverwing Quartermaster) not what you want? If no, what do you want?

From my OP:
05/16/2011 09:25 AMPosted by Smellybeard
That's great, but what do BG levelers get? A smattering of gear available from out of the way vendors that are remnants from vanilla. There should really be pieces available for honour throughout all the brackets and at varying levels.

These pieces can be a good start, but having them available from a centralized location (ie, stormwind/org) would be nice. Having a more comprehensive gear set available would be nice, and those pieces are dated as they were designed for PvP as it stood 6 years ago.

High Health is almost as good as resilience. There is also armor, dodge and/or resistance stacking available to the character.

Armor, dodge, and resistance stacking isn't an effective solution. High health is, but it's not really available. The bottom line is, the idea is to make it easier for people to be PvP ready and able to level in BGs effectively. Honestly, if they didn't put resilience on the pvp gear and instead put huge health pools on it, that would be just as good (imo). Typically though, Blizzard likes to use resilience. The reason is because it only mitigates player damage, whereas low level pvp pieces with high stam would be desirable for PvE as well. They did this after TBC cause tanks (especially druids) were using PvP pieces for their PvE tanking set for the stamina it gave. Long story short, stam would be ok, resil would be better. In either case, having a gear-set that you could obtain while leveling in lowbie PvP would be beneficial.
05/16/2011 11:56 AMPosted by Smellybeard
These pieces can be a good start, but having them available from a centralized location (ie, stormwind/org) would be nice. Having a more comprehensive gear set available would be nice, and those pieces are dated as they were designed for PvP as it stood 6 years ago.

Ah. I fully support moving these guys to an area in a capital city for ease of access. Perhaps have several NPCs labeled "Envoy of <Faction Name>" in a building somewhere in SW/Org.

As to the gear revamp, I doubt it will ever happen (not that I am opposed, just doubtful). Blizzard isn't likely to revamp things for low level PvP as they have repeatedly stated that their goal is to balance high level PvP and let everything else fall where it does. It would be nice to tack some iLevel appropriate Resilience to that gear, though one can only dream.
I agree with you there, I doubt it will happen (at least, anytime soon), but we can hope ;) I do think it would resolve a lot of issues people are having with low level BGs right now. As it is, anytime I have friends join WoW and ask me about PvP, I usually tell them not to bother until 85. Unless you're twinking or know the ropes already, it's such a frustrating experience that you might as well not bother. Once you're 85 and can supply your PvP lowbies more easily, it's a little less painless. You also have an idea of what's involved with your class.

Having PvP gear available (tip in load screen!) would make it easier for people to get into.

Anyway, we can hope :D
I can definately agree with the OP, there needs to be some way of letting players who decide to level through early pvp brackets to do so competitively 'without' having to use a level 85 character to BoA or pay for twink gear/enchants/upgrades ect.

I think the best way to do this is to revamp the old battleground gear to be pvp sets which upgrade with each bracket. These sets would be on par with BoA gear stat wise. (edit: the gear itself wouldn't upgrade like BoA gear, rather it would have 'upgrades' available per bracket)

Also, like Adarant said, I think putting these quartermasters in the main cities would also be beneficial to pvpers.

As I've said in a thread of my own, I think if this was done to allow newer/non boa players to be competitive in low level pvp, you could then include twinks back into the population and up the overall battleground pvp scene.
05/16/2011 10:57 AMPosted by Adarant

What he wants is

- PVP gear for the 10-14 bracket, 20-24 bracket, etc.

The current PVP gear is all x8.

- PVP vendors in SW/Orgrimmar so they are accessible.

- PVP gear more more slots to match BoA gear in stats.

Other things that should be done.

- Make AB boots and belts for 10-14, 14-19 and 20-24 brackets now that AB starts at 10. Current;y, AB boots and belts start at level 28.

- Add stats to level 18 and 28 PVP bows. They are the only blue PVP weapons with no stats.

05/16/2011 12:54 PMPosted by Firebrand
Make AB boots and belts for 10-14, 14-19 and 20-24 brackets now that AB starts at 10. Current;y, AB boots and belts start at level 28.

Ever play AB at level 10-20? Without mounts is almost borderline pointless and shouldn't even be available at level 10-20 in the first place. You spend half the time just running from place to place as the timer adds up the points against you. So objective game-play is pretty much second to just road fighting.
05/16/2011 01:05 PMPosted by Ainia
Ever play AB at level 10-20? Without mounts is almost borderline pointless and shouldn't even be available at level 10-20 in the first place. You spend half the time just running from place to place as the timer adds up the points against you. So objective game-play is pretty much second to just road fighting.

All the more reason why there needs to be gear available for a battleground progression path. The current system doesn't really support PvP until you hit end-game. There's a lot of potential there, and I don't feel like it would take Blizzard a lot of effort to throw gear in. Maybe a little balance testing for how much resilience would be good (if any) and then just clone the gear from some of the pieces available right now out of dungeons, current PvP stuff, and BoA gear.
Bumping this one last time for visibility before I let it die. Hopefully Blizzard sees it, I really feel like support for low level BGs would solve a lot of problems, and bring a lot of benefits.
It wouldn't really take much to make pvp gear for various levels while going up through the ranks.

They could even make "frozen" boa clones at certain intervals such as 10, 15, 20 etc... they wouldn't even have to do all the pieces, just a couple like maybe shoulders, and head which are traditionally hard for levelers to find.
Then again, that might just make the problem of bots and afkers plague the lowbie bgs also.