4.2 Conquest Change: Why neuter Arena?

Arenas
Why are we being forced to do something we don't want to do, have the time to do or even have the players to do them, when we pay for the game??
you dont have to raise your rated BG rating in order to cap(AT LEAST I HOPE NOT), blizzard just worded it really terribly.

i have a few ideas of how this is going to work based off reading AJ and other sites etc..

#1 idea
lets assume you have a 3k rated arena team, your conquest cap is still going to be 3000, however you can only get 2000 conquest points from doing arena, and you have to get the other 1000 conquest points from doing rated BG's... your rated BG rating doesnt matter, so you would have to win 3 rated BG's to get capped (400 points per win).

also the way its worded seems like rated BG players can get their entire cap just from rated BG's, while arena players have to do a couple rated BG's a week in order to get capped.

some people are saying this change goes both ways based off of their PTR experience, meaning that if someone is 3k rated in BG's they can only get 2k of their points from rated BG's and then they have to get the other 1k from doing arenas... this basically stops people from cruising up to 2200 in BG's and then playing 2s or something to get their points

" Players may earn a total number of Conquest Points per week equal to the higher of these two caps, but once players have reached the cap for either Arenas or Battlegrounds, they can no longer earn Conquest Points from that source"

this option is the scariest and would probably cause a ton of people to quit if they havent already...

assuming a person is 3000 rated in arena, their cap for conquest points would only be 2000, and in order to get above that cap, you would have to get your rated BG rating up above 2400-2500 or w/e, but i honestly cant see them doing this, because it would basically mean that any rating above 1900( w/e rating gets you above a 2k point cap) in arena is completely useless because you cant break that 2k barrier without grinding up your rated BG rating

i know tons of people who will be quitting if its the third one, i personally think its the second option, but its blizzard so we will have to wait and see
05/12/2011 09:39 AMPosted by Xfiles
Rbgs are significantly harder to play and organize than arena

Harder to organize, yes of course. Harder to play? Not even close.

Forcing people to play even more battlegrounds besides the ones needed to get starting pvp gear (random battlegrounds for honor, namely) is flat out stupid. There is a reason there is so much hostility towards this change.

I've never set foot into a rated battleground, but I've seen many videos and heard many stories. It doesn't look or sound appealing at all.

The majority of competitive PvP players that I have talked with, or read about, are greatly opposed to this change.

Not only do they raise the amount of wins needed to get cap conquest points per week to an obscene number for higher rated players, but now they are forcing rated battlegrounds down our throats. I'm glad that Blizzard takes an interest in what it's players want.
05/12/2011 09:28 AMPosted by Shunyata
This literally forces every single competetive arena player to also grind rated bg rating or fall behind in gear and in turn fall behind in arena.

Thus increasing RBG participation, which is the point.

05/12/2011 09:39 AMPosted by Xfiles
Rbgs are significantly harder to play and organize than arena, so it should be more rewarding.

Well said. And it's not just the difficulty of finding 10 people on your server to do them. If you actually want to win, you have to get all the dps to focus fire, you gotta have a tank, gotta CC opposing healers. It's not like you can just get 10 random people and faceroll.
In my opinion.... RBG's should have t2 weapons taken from them cause seeing people with 400 games played in 3's at 1400 with t2 weps makes me giggle, because they can heal a 200k prot tank up and down the field with a flag.

Blizz is catering to the casual. I want rating reqs back on all the gear make it 2k for t1 2400 for t2.
I agree, I don't think it's a good change. My guild only does RBGs at night, when I can't do them. I try to pug some RBGs during the day but nothing ever comes of it. I understand that blizzard wants people to play RBGs, but it doesn't seem in line with their "play the way you want to play" mentality (see the most recent dev watercooler, about content for casual 85s).

I would like to try some RBGs though, they seem fun.
Posting in this thread to fight the good fight.
05/12/2011 09:41 AMPosted by Mchammadaddy
Sounds like rbg has little interest for most players so blizz is forcing it. Not a good idea..

yeah why do rateds if you can just do 2s?
In my opinion.... RBG's should have t2 weapons taken from them cause seeing people with 400 games played in 3's at 1400 with t2 weps makes me giggle, because they can heal a 200k prot tank up and down the field with a flag.

Blizz is catering to the casual. I want rating reqs back on all the gear make it 2k for t1 2400 for t2.

I think your idea is a great one if your goal is to further kill end game pvpparticipation.
Before I start I would like to clarify that I absolutely hate this change.

First off, the notion that pure high end arena players will "fall behind" is silly. The only meaningful point in which pure arena players will have a significant disadvantage will be for the 2 weeks which they will not be able to purchase T2 weapons while the full cap earners are able to purchase them. Even then its not such a massive disadvantage so as to absolutely guarantee a loss.

Also its not like you have to constantly play throughout the season to keep up. We see players grind to a high rating and sit on the team through the whole season. We also see players grind to 2500+ in one night of 40-50 games played or grind out gladiator from zero in the last week of the season. The seasons are long enough that you can fully gear yourself 3-4 times over or more even if you arent earning the cap.

Its obvious the reason they are doing this is to promote rated BGs. Im sure queue times and competitiveness in RBGs is abysmal. Before you complain that you dont want to do them, remember BC and WotLK when you had to grind hours of regular BGs every season to get offset gear. This expansion has made getting arena gear easier than ever even after this change. Everything from making every piece require conquest points (which you earn in rated matches) to allowing you to earn your points in a bracket other than the one which determines your cap has made getting those "arena points" and gear that much easier.