Surnames / Lastnames

General Discussion
Hi Blizzard,

Are there any plans or has it been discussed to add surnames/lastnames to our characters?? if NPCs can have last names, then I think it would only be right for our characters as well to have the same. Just makes sense.

There are a ton of reasons why this would be great. Ill see if I can list a few.

- Get rid of the Alt-Key kids. Nothing is more annoying when trying to find someone with those characters in there and 'player cannot be found' because you typed in the wrong character.

- Allow people to create families (Even for those people who would love to be married in game.. you could make it happen). (yeah yeah.. make fun)

- Makes us feel like we're something instead of just having the titles that go after our name.

/inb4qqmoar
/inb4carebear!
/inb4disneyonice
/inb4thisisntthesims

thoughts people?
I could list name/surname combos that'd get me banned.
I have a last name...it's "the Insane"...
Pointless, more important things there are to do mmmMMMmmmm
Name lengths and sexual innuendo names are probably the main reasons why they don't allow it.
While I could see it being a welcome addition to RP servers, adding the additional layer of a surname would probably require extra amounts of name enforcement and filtering that Blizzard doesn't have the resources for. At least, I believe that would be the reason given as to why it's not done.

We'll see a dance studio before surnames, but we'd probably see surnames before guild housing. :p
05/16/2011 04:01 PMPosted by Michaels
Pointless, more important things there are to do mmmMMMmmmm

It seems there are always more 'important' things on the block, but it's always the same stuff.. content, nerfing, buffing classes.. Im wondering if blizz will ever take one some things that are new.

I saw the many threads on guild and player housing that we know wont be in game, but this is just adding last names.

If anyone played Star Wars Galaxies, they had lastnames. It was nice.
It's not a feature I would complain about. I also play EQ2, so having a surname for a character is something I am used to.

The downside is I'd hate to see a lot of Sunstriders running around. Or Strifes for that matter.
While I could see it being a welcome addition to RP servers, adding the additional layer of a surname would probably require extra amounts of name enforcement and filtering that Blizzard doesn't have the resources for. At least, I believe that would be the reason given as to why it's not done.

We'll see a dance studio before surnames, but we'd probably see surnames before guild housing. :p

Im sure they could hire someone who could add blocks to all things dirty, harassing, copy written and also to prevent the use of alt+key characters to get around it. If you do that you're good to go.

This would also open up the possibilities of people having names they want. I know how frustrating it is when someone creates a name and see's 'That name is unavailable.'
We do not yet have the technology to add a space to character names, sorry.
05/16/2011 04:08 PMPosted by Jöhnnyd
We do not yet have the technology to add a space to character names, sorry.

lol...
The idea has been mentioned before and I still dont like the idea. Many people on wow don't really take name creation seriously anymore, and I'm sure last names would just end up being abused some way or another.
Id love to see Blizzard reply, but it seems near impossible to get them to reply to a post. Im sure they could put a ton of restrictions so people couldnt go nuts with it.
05/16/2011 04:17 PMPosted by Denrish
Id love to see Blizzard reply, but it seems near impossible to get them to reply to a post. Im sure they could put a ton of restrictions so people couldnt go nuts with it.

It's a very bad idea to fish for responses from any Blizzard employee, including community managers and moderators. This also means... don't bump your posts over and over.
Im not fishing for a response from blizzard, but mainly get conversation going from the wow community about it. Sure I mention them replying, but im not fishing nor trying to bump my own post. Pretty Im allowed to respond to other posts. :)

05/16/2011 04:19 PMPosted by Fanahlia

It's a very bad idea to fish for responses from any Blizzard employee, including community managers and moderators. This also means... don't bump your posts over and over.

Im not fishing for a response from blizzard, but mainly get conversation going from the wow community about it. Sure I mention them replying, but im not fishing nor trying to bump my own post. Pretty Im allowed to respond to other posts. :)
There would more options in the character namespace. Obviously certain lore character names would need to be locked down(unavailable) to avoid a million players being related to Hellscream or Wrynn (or making Jenkins an irrelevant achievement).

The quality of a name could improve as shorter first names and shorter last names would be available. The combination of both would be the character's unique id.

Interface options like just showing the character's first or last name and a title over their head should be available... as some like the 'god-entity' type name. When you mouse over the player their full name would be visible (in the tooltip) to differentiate players with similar first or last names.

A quota of 1 allowable apostrophe in a name would also be appreciated for those who roll Troll, Elves, or Dwarves.
MyRoleplay allows surnames and last names as well as nicknames and titles.
05/16/2011 04:27 PMPosted by Alillyne
MyRoleplay allows surnames and last names as well as nicknames and titles.

Addons have the end effect of providing the required virtual name but keep the problem of depleting firstnames. A standard system would improve the naming system in the game overall.

It'd be abused the same as the current system already is in-game, just means it's easier to track down those players and give out some warnings/bans.