Thoughts on premium services?

General Discussion
So what do you guys think about the Real ID Cross server idea and making it Premium?

My thoughts? I think that Blizzard shouldn't charge consumers for anything other than vanity items. (Pets, mounts, tabards, shirts... etc.) Anything past that is just a bad business move. Who wants to pay even more money just to play with friends? I guess if you really don't want to pay then you can just create a new character... but still, this is just the beginning. As soon as something becomes premium, everything goes premium.

That is just my thoughts though... how about you guys?
I think Blizz has realized WoW is dying and rather than attempt to fix it they've elected to suck as much money out of it as they possibly can.
You're not losing anything that you don't have access to now. If they want to charge for mobile auction house and this sort of thing, more power to them. People will pay for it and probably enjoy it a lot. I see no use for either so I don't pay for it - simple enough.

Before 4.2 - Bnet friends on different servers means you can't play with each other
Post 4.2 - You can if you pay. If you can't, nothing changes.
You're not losing anything that you don't have access to now. If they want to charge for mobile armory and this sort of thing, more power to them. People will pay for it and probably enjoy it a lot. I see no use for either so I don't pay for it - simple enough.

Before 4.2 - Bnet friends on different servers means you can't play with each other
Post 4.2 - You can if you pay. If you can't, nothing changes.

If Blizz decided to charge $20 for the Firelands raid, would you think that was fair because the people who didn't pay didn't have access to it to begin with? Of course not. That's just silly.

People need to speak out against changes they don't like. Rest assured, if there is not a massive outcry to this -and I mean massive- Blizzard is going to keep charging for more things down the line, and sooner or later it WILL be something you care about.
05/17/2011 01:52 PMPosted by Reylana
My thoughts? I think that Blizzard shouldn't charge consumers for anything other than vanity items.

My thoughts are, it's a premium service that I've been able to cope without up till that point. If I decide not to buy it, I'm no worse off than I was before. Nothing is being taken away from you, simply another option is being added.

As soon as something becomes premium, everything goes premium.
That would be a slippery slope. As soon as they actively take away something that was free before, then I'll unsubscribe, simple as that. The whole 'this is just the beginning' is a bit premature, and personally I think it's silly to feel entitled to new services that you weren't even aware of not long ago. Now if it was promised to you for free, and then later they changed it to a pay for service, then that would be wrong.

If Blizz decided to charge $20 for the Firelands raid, would you think that was fair because the people who didn't pay didn't have access to it to begin with? Of course not. That's just silly.

New raid content have always been part of the regular subscription model, and 4.2 has been promised to us for quite some time.
I actually appreciate these kinds of paid services, because it allows them to keep the subscription at the same rate it was over 6 years ago.
This IS a vanity service. You've never had it for years, and you could play the game. It's not something they contracted to provide you when you started playing. Why would you assume no additional cost?

I have no problem paying extra for vanity services like "WoW Remote".

This IS a vanity service. You've never had it for years, and you could play the game. It's not something they contracted to provide you when you started playing. Why would you assume no additional cost?

I have no problem paying extra for vanity services like "WoW Remote".

Yeah just like when we had to pay a premium on the dungeon finder.
It's not like they're taking things away from you and making you pay more for them.

They're giving you extra options that you can choose whether or not to use.
05/17/2011 02:01 PMPosted by Bubbajoe
I actually appreciate these kinds of paid services, because it allows them to keep the subscription at the same rate it was over 6 years ago.

true, very few things i have are the same subscription costs as 6 years ago. Cell, internet, TV all have gone up over the past 6 years, but WoW has never changed in price.
Premium Services separates player base, in my eyes it creates a community that is better and a community that is normal. That is just a terrible idea to me, now this could be the only thing they add and I could be completely fine with it. I just have a sick feeling that this could escalate to something more is all.

Now if they added guild transfers that would be great. :D

That's like comparing apples and oranges. New playable content has always been part of your $15/month. This is a feature that has nothing to do with the progression of the story line. It's no different than charging people to change races, names, factions, and servers.
05/17/2011 01:55 PMPosted by Steridan
I think Blizz has realized WoW is dying and rather than attempt to fix it they've elected to suck as much money out of it as they possibly can.

Comments like this are fundamentally stupid, and show a lack of understanding towards both the MMO genre, and it's market.

There are MMO titles that have less than 1% of the subscription base that WoW does, and they can take years to finally roll over and die.

Your individual disillusionment with a game doesn't mean it's dying. Even 600k subscription losses doesn't mean it's dying. Not when that amounts to 5% of the player base, and we have no solid numbers on who those quitters are and where they come from and what their reasons for quitting even are. The fact that it's the most widely played MMORPG in the world still has not changed.
We welcome constructive feedback and discussion on this topic, but to keep the amount of additional threads to a minimum as well as to keep feedback consolidated, we'd like to ask that you please post in the existing thread here-

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2548785589