Companion Pet Drop Rates

General Discussion
So I've recently started farming for a few companion pets again, and was just wondering about the random factor of it all. I'm no stranger to farming mass amounts of mobs for specific items, but my recent string of luck (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of which is causing my failures here) has me a bit frustrated. I've been looking to get a few pets I'm missing from the huge grinds, namely the Disgusting Oozeling, Sprite Darter Hatchling, Emerald Whelpling, and the Captured Firefly. I've put in over 5,500 kills for bags for the Oozeling with no luck, and 1028 kills on the whelps in Feralas (hoping for some luck on the Sprite Darter Hatchling here as well since it's now a zone drop). If the drop rate for bags is right on Wowhead, then I should've opened around 550 bags over the course of that time. With some simple statistics, the chance I should've seen each drop are:

Disgusting Oozeling: 99.925% chance to have seen it by now with a 10% chance for a bag drop, then a 1.3% chance that it's in the bag.

Sprite Darter Hatchling: 9.770% chance to have seen it by now with a 0.01% chance to drop per mob in Feralas.

Emerald Whelp: 64.246% chance to have seen it drop by now with a 0.1% chance to drop per whelp in Feralas.

Combined feralas mobs I should've had a 67.739% chance to have seen either the Hatchling or Whelp by now.

Now, I know those are probably not the exact drop rates, but it's the best info I have to go from, coming from warcraftpets.com and wowhead. Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of farming for rare items, but it would be amazing if there was a way to implement a fluid drop rate for items like this (especially for the Sprite Darter Hatchling which is 1:10,000 chance, BoP, and a zone drop). Something that increased the drop chance of an item on every kill you make ever so slightly. Maybe every 100 or so kills you get a small boost in the chance until it drops, then it resets the chance back to the original. Put a cap on it, but it would be amazing that once I get to say 2,000 kills the drop rate is maybe 5% instead of 0.1% still.

At this point, I probably could've just farmed the gold for 2 of those 3 in the amount of time I put into farming the pets themselves, but I don't want it to be like that. Also with the amount of pets I still want, I've even considered just stopping this and farming Satchels from heroics nonstop. With the chance at a pet there and the gold + item reward, I could buy it after a bit as well. I get at least 150g per heroic and some of them are very quick so it seems about as viable.

Meh, with the oozeling I'm starting to wonder if it's bugged or I'm just flat out having miserable luck.
I managed to get the sprite darter back about 5 years ago outside diremaul looking for a group, just kill the darters around there, I think I killed 40 waiting and I have had one ever since. At the time my warrior (Ulfal formerly until I transferred him to Windrunner,) was the same level as them, maybe that raised my odds a bit.
09/28/2014 11:31 PMPosted by Warfal
I managed to get the sprite darter back about 5 years ago outside diremaul looking for a group, just kill the darters around there, I think I killed 40 waiting and I have had one ever since. At the time my warrior (Ulfal formerly until I transferred him to Windrunner,) was the same level as them, maybe that raised my odds a bit.

This thread is three years old now. I'm willing to bet the OP either found his pets or gave up by now. : )