Patch 4.2: We Bid Thy Keyring Adieu

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 26 Next
Please provide us with a list of keys that will not be removed from the game so we can plan accordingly.

Particularly, I'm thinking about blacksmithing skeleton keys (if you have to take up a regular inventory slot you're much less likely to want to carry one), and keys that drop as dungeon mechanics -Dire Maul keys that are looted or pickpocketed from ogres in order to bypass killing the boss, aka Tribute Run (sorry if that's outdated since Cataclysm, haven't been to Dire Maul yet), vault keys for the bank in Blackrock Depths, mailbox keys for Stratholme (though I understand this is being changed somewhat), and scarab keys for Ahn'Qiraj.

Also, if you need to free up that 10 pixel space next to our bag so much, what are you putting in its place?
I think the advice was being served as a crap sandwich - something yukky delivered between something yummy! (In response to post #79)
Have to agree with OP here. BC heroics still require a key to get in, I'd like to be able to keep those keys but without losing valuable backpack space. They took the time to eliminate the key ring, now take the time to increase the backpack for max levels. With all the little knit picking things that Blizzard does, how about you knit pick the backpack. For me personally, 2 sets of feral gear (dps and tank) + 2 sets of resto gear (pvp and pve) take a lot of room up. That doesn't include raid supplies like food, flasks and elixirs. I currently have 4x 26 slot bags and a scrubby 16 slot backpack I'd love to vendor. Going on 5 years of watching changes I find it hard to believe you can't do something simple like upon reaching level 40 your backpack will jump to 20 slots and when you reach max level it jumps to 24 slots. Doesn't have to be exactly what I said, but you get the idea. We could even go further and just simply make the thing replaceable with a bag of the players choice. Thanks for the free 16 slot bag when I make a new toon, but no thanks.

Dual spec, 10 and 25 man normal raids, heroic raids. 5 man heroic dungeons and normal dungeons. New races, new classes and new hair styles...even a barber..thanks? New professions and secondary professions. Revamps of old raids and dungeons. To many patches, nerfs and buffs to count, but my backpack is still the same it was when I was level 1. A toy train set that makes noise, paper zeppelins and even little dolls that sit on the ground and do nothing, but my backpack is still 16 slots.

How about a straight forward answer as to why its still 16 slots.
You murderers! How can I RP as a Janitor without a massive ring of keys!!
The complete removal of doors with keys is a rogue nerf. Way to axe one of our few utilities left. No wonder we're the least played class at 85.
Please tell us that if we had our essence infused moonstones that we'll get to keep them. It was a nice keepsake considering the chain is gone now.
05/23/2011 11:35 AMPosted by Ehcks
RP and vanity.

How do you RP keys? No one can see that you have a key. There is no graphic for a key that other people can see you using.

So you're opening a locked item? How hard is it to RP that the item is locked and that you are unlocking it?

This is a MMORPG. Keys that open/unlock things have meaning. Pretty soon they will get rid of bags because they are taking up so much space, and the backpack will just be a giant, growing place where you put everything. Even better, why need a bank to store things, just make the backpack that much bigger so we don't have to a bank anymore. We already store thousands upon thousands of gold coins in our bag, whats a few measly items.
05/23/2011 11:42 AMPosted by Hateface
How about a straight forward answer as to why its still 16 slots.

The Backpack was designed with no easy way to add more slots. They're working on a way to add slots without accidentally deleting items.
Please do not forget that blacksmithing keys currently go into this keyring! On at least one character I have a dozen stacks or more of various kinds of Skeleton Keys, and I certainly wouldn't be able to store them or keep them using only regular bags. Allowing them to stack much higher than 20 would be one possible solution.
You are ignoring the fact that each key has to be stored on server space. It is not just a matter of the tiny space that you see in your UI.

Multiply the dozen or so keys that you have by the millions of players with keys and you are looking at substantial storage utilization.

This is what they are referring to.

And what does that matter if they're not going to do anything with the space being saved? What we get instead is the possibility of a change at some indefinable point in the future.
05/23/2011 11:44 AMPosted by Lelendra
This is a MMORPG. Keys that open/unlock things have meaning. Pretty soon they will get rid of bags because they are taking up so much space, and the backpack will just be a giant, growing place where you put everything. Even better, why need a bank to store things, just make the backpack that much bigger so we don't have to a bank anymore. We already store thousands upon thousands of gold coins in our bag, whats a few measly items.

Isn't that what everyone else is asking for? Ever-increasing bag space to support their addiction to hoarding?
Unless we are also getting a slot for another bag and/or having the original back pack expanded this is very inconvenient. I have very limited bag space and do not want to waste slots with keys. I also enjoyed the convenience of not having to worry if I left a key in the bank if I happen to be near a place and decide to swing through.
05/23/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Ehcks
Isn't that what everyone else is asking for? Ever-increasing bag space to support their addiction to hoarding?

Well yes, but they aren't asking for it all in one bag. But the number of items in this game is massive(even if you discount all the things no longer available). So is asking for more bag space that big a problem?
But...how will I access content that is no longer relevant?!?

Geez, people complaining about nothing. Only people that have any legitimate concerns are blacksmiths, and even then other professions have had to allot bag space for hammers, spaners, rods, mats, etc, etc.

This change is proof that people would rather complain about nothing than remain quiet.
05/23/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Lelendra

Well yes, but they aren't asking for it all in one bag. But the number of items in this game is massive(even if you discount all the things no longer available). So is asking for more bag space that big a problem?

I'm sure many of them are, or Bagnon wouldn't have over 5 million downloads.
LoL. Can't wait for SWtOR!
05/23/2011 11:42 AMPosted by Roaracroft
The complete removal of doors with keys is a rogue nerf. Way to axe one of our few utilities left. No wonder we're the least played class at 85.

looooooooool
05/23/2011 11:45 AMPosted by Ehcks
No, most of these people are asking that the negative change comes with a positive change that isn't in the current future. Yet, Blizzard has decided to implement this removal because in the future you will get those shiny new additions.

And since the argument is about UI clutter as well, there's another button everyone else is forgetting about: Raid. This button opens up the standard social frame yet brings the raid tab first. Even when you hit the hotkey for it "O", it still brings up the raid tab.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/lilmissy4205/World%20of%20Warcraft/Public%20Test%20Realm/PTR42-4.jpg

Wouldn't this lead to more background coding clutter? Wouldn't it make more sense to put PVE with PVE since we have PVP with PVP in window frames in game?
05/23/2011 11:49 AMPosted by Ehcks
I'm sure many of them are, or Bagnon wouldn't have over 5 million downloads.

If the counter includes people redownloading it after every patch and/or update, the 5 million becomes less impressive.
05/23/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Boomshacka
But...how will I access content that is no longer relevant?!?

The reason they were asking this is because the original post didn't say that they were opening up everything. I can just imagine 4.2 hitting and people trying to do BC heroics(which people still do) and not being allowed in because of lack of key. Sadly this still may happen even with people talking about it. So yes, this is important. Just because you don't think so, doesn't mean no one cares.