RealID cross realm dungeon grouping thread #2

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
With the continued popularity of the Dungeon Finder, many players have been asking for a way to group up with real-life friends who play on other realms to take on instances together. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about a new feature currently in development that will allow players to invite Real ID friends ( http://us.battle.net/en/realid/ ) of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

As this is a fairly complex service to develop, we don’t have a release date to share quite yet. It’s important to note that as with some of the other convenience- and connectivity-oriented features we offer, certain elements of the cross-realm Real ID party system will be premium-based, though only the player sending the invitations will need to have access to the premium service. We'll have more details to share with you as development progresses -- in the meantime, you may begin to see elements of the feature appear on the World of Warcraft PTR.

Since the Sticky got capped it seems a new one must be made.

Adding link to source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2548785589
Blizzard, is this seriously the image of yourself you want your customers to have?

You could turn this on for everyone and we'd love you for it. Making it a premium feature is pretty damn grubby. What other in-game things will I have to pay extra for in the future? What other paywalls between myself and my friends will there be?

Making this a premium service is a mistake. Please re-evaluate this decision. I shouldn't have to pay anything more than my subscription fee to be able to play with my friends.
This should not be a premium service. This is not like a faction change, a server transfer, a name change, etc. where you screwed up and now you're paying in order to bend the rules in order to fix your mistake. This is not some extraneous pet or mount that you're purchasing to show off how you have too much money. This is something basic that should be available to everyone. This is essentially one of the main purposes behind the still horribly flawed RealID system, the basic ability to interact and play with your friends in a game that's all about social interaction. The fact that we would be charged to play with our friends is atrocious.

You can make the argument that this new system takes time and effort to implement all you want, but so does new content, so does the voice chat that you guys implemented a while back, so did the Dungeon Finder when you added it. Everything that's added to the game costs extra resources, so the entire method of choosing which features get charged extra for and which ones don't seems questionable to me. Hell, to be honest, the entire idea of premium services seems questionable to me. We already pay to buy the game and all of its expansions, then pay a subscription on top of that, and then on top of that there's premium services which cost even more, whereas usually, most games only charge you for one or two of those options, not all three. The concept of utilizing subscriptions, game purchases, and microtransactions all in the same game, some of which for features which should just be built into the game is really really offensive, and absolutely reeks of Activision's involvement.

I accept Faction Transfers/Name Changes/Race Changes/Server Transfers because I see it as paying to fix a mistake you made at some point. I accept all the Apps because those are phone services, and they fall into a completely different category entirely. I detest the mount and pet store because I think that's pushing the limits of what you should be doing and still charging a monthly subscription. This, this is really crossing the line for me, not to mention it also will breed infighting amongst friends over who should have to pay for it. This shouldn't be a premium service to nickle and dime the people already playing, this should be a feature built into the game that encourages more new players to join and older players to return without having to make the harsh choice between playing with their friends or playing with their guild.

The RealID system is still horribly broken and needs to be fixed in my eyes. Adding more features that should've been the drawing appeal to it in the first place to a still broken system and then forcing people to pay extra for them is just kicking people while they're already down.
This is very sad.

They have to make it paid because otherwise they lose all their current revenue from realm transfers.

I don't see exactly how that's true. I've known a LOT of people who have server transfered. I have done it twice myself. And I don't know anyone who has done it to run 5 mans with friends, everyone I've ever known to server transfer has been for three reasons:

To raid with people on the different server
To PVP with people on the different server
They no longer feel compatible with their current server (ostrecized, low pop, etc.)

I highly doubt this would have that substantial of an impact on the total amount of server transfers.
I would be ok with the premium ONLY if it is added to the current RAH/RCHAT subscription fee, but not if it's an additional fee on top of that!
Anything to suck up to the blue logo in the sky for some. /desk.

This sort of stuff has to go Blizzard, pets were one thing, actually cutting content from one of pathetically scarce updates anyway is even further over the line.
"We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later.
--Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Game Design (2/20/2008)"

Why the change from the original model?
I am already paying $15 a month. The talk of this being optional is besides the point - I am already paying for new features every month. I am paying for added content, I am paying for Real ID. We ARE paying for improved service and added features. Vanity items is one thing, but when you start talking about restricting your ability to interact with people relative to what the system is capable of you are really going down a dark road.

What other premium feature are next that my monthly subscription suddenly isn't covering anymore? My subscription covered UI improvements, and it covered the LFD tool. It covers new raid content. But apparently it doesn't cover increased interactivity with your friends. Will they institute the ability to mail things cross faction as a premium service? It seems Blizzard was willing to take our subscription fee and give us nominal improvements to our experience that were not content related. It seems that pace has slowed down, and they will charge for those services. So I pay the same amount, and the rate of improvements goes down. Whoopee.
This is very sad.

They have to make it paid because otherwise they lose all their current revenue from realm transfers.

I don't see exactly how that's true. I've known a LOT of people who have server transfered. I have done it twice myself. And I don't know anyone who has done it to run 5 mans with friends, everyone I've ever known to server transfer has been for three reasons:

To raid with people on the different server
To PVP with people on the different server
They no longer feel compatible with their current server (ostrecized, low pop, etc.)

I highly doubt this would have that substantial of an impact on the total amount of server transfers.

Then why do it? Greed?
i guess i'm curious about why it has to be a "premium service" in the first place. i mean, why not just include it as part of the existing LFD tool?
05/17/2011 02:22 PMPosted by Siinne
I don't understand the logic of some people. If you have basic cable and your cable company starts offering a premium of more channels, would you argue that you should get it for the same price? Where in the real world, can you demand more things for the same money you were paying before? Would it be nice if they didn't charge for it? sure....Is it acceptable for them to charge? Absolutely. This would be an optional feature. It's not like they are adding this in the game and raising the price of the monthly subscription. If you want this, then pay for it. If you don't want it, then don't pay for it. Just don't come here complaining how Blizzard needs to give you everything for free.

Dumb comparison. The difference here is that blizzard is taking the developers who design our content that we pay MONTHLY for and making them develop something most of us will never use because they want to charge extra for it.

There are no developers in a cable company. Your cable isnt suddenly going to arrive to your house a day later than normal because they are spending time designing something else.

Every second of development time spent on this premium service is one second of development time not spent on adding new content to the game, which is absolutely ridiculous. We already dont have NEARLY enough content, and Blizzard has admitted that! Then they go and schedule the developers to work on something like this.

Then why do it? Greed?

Yes.