I'm Speaking from the Heart, Blizzard.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
Normally I'm all like "l2play nubs" when it comes to this kind of stuff..

But, the fact of the matter is, there are millions of different people playing out there with tons of different schedules, play-styles, levels, etc. Why not give those who always play a tier behind complete the difficulty, too?

I kind of feel bad for them! :(

/thread
The absurd difficulty of current cata raids should be contained to the Hard Modes. Normal people should be able to defeat normal content before the next patch rolls around and it's no longer top tier.
imo It's kind of like being happy with your salary from work, and then learning the new doofus they just hired has a bigger salary then yours; as a result, you are much less satisfied with your salary. Now I'm sure people in this thread would pop in and say "But your salary wasn't changed at all, you should still be just as happy with it!" I'm not saying that I disagree with their premise ('be happy with what you got, and don't worry about comparing it to the other guy') but I'm just pointing out that i understand where these other people are coming from even if i don't agree 100%.

No this is wrong what it is like is when you started you had to go to school and then intern to get the job but learn all doofus had to do was take a small test to get hired but at the same pay as you got when started.
05/24/2011 01:06 PMPosted by Bashiok
Burning Crusade swung the pendulum one way, and Wrath of the Lich King swung it back too far the other. We're attempting to find that middle ground where there's still something brutally difficult for the cutting edge, but content gradually comes down until it's extremely accessible (ie PUGable) either simply through gear proliferation, or literal content difficulty nerfs.

Um....no. I'm guessing you weren't around for BC or vanilla.

No matter how hard you think BC was, raiding was more accessible in BC than it ever was in vanilla. Even though BC is relatively inaccessible by today's standards, it was a breath of fresh air compared to vanilla. Cata really is the first time that Blizzard devs have tried to make content harder to access: BC raiding was more accessible than vanilla, and Wrath raiding was more accessible than BC.

The difficulty was just right in Wrath. The normal modes were accessible to normal players, and the heroic modes were that brutally difficult challenge for hardcore players.
05/24/2011 02:38 PMPosted by Adraa
imo It's kind of like being happy with your salary from work, and then learning the new doofus they just hired has a bigger salary then yours; as a result, you are much less satisfied with your salary. Now I'm sure people in this thread would pop in and say "But your salary wasn't changed at all, you should still be just as happy with it!" I'm not saying that I disagree with their premise ('be happy with what you got, and don't worry about comparing it to the other guy') but I'm just pointing out that i understand where these other people are coming from even if i don't agree 100%.

No this is wrong what it is like is when you started you had to go to school and then intern to get the job but learn all doofus had to do was take a small test to get hired but at the same pay as you got when started.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnd now we have the real life vs WoW comparisons. I knew it was only a matter of time.
Anyone who is surprised about this is pretty dim. They have been nerfing old content for some time now. Have you forgotten about all those threads saying things like "Blizzard lost 600k subscribers, what are they going to do?" Well, this is a start. It could bring back some people and give others the incentive to stick with the game.

You do realize that losing 600k subscribers just puts it back down to WotLK levels, right?

Wrath's super casual friendly model really wasn't as good for the game as people like to believe. Wrath didn't really do much to grow the subscription base. The subscription base was hovering around 11.5 million for about 20-22 months. People were leaving about as quickly as they were joining resulting in stagnation. It was just trading one customer for another. When you have 11.5 million subscribers some of that is to be expected, but it is much harder to gain new clients than it is to keep existing clients. It is also easier to lure back old clients than it is to get new clients.

We most likely saw a surge in numbers for Cataclysm because it was promised to be harder than WotLK. That lured back some of the more hard core raiders that quit during WotLK. It also alienated some of the casuals they attracted in WotLK, so they quit. Right now Blizz is trying to cater to both types of players. I've been around long enough to know that when you try to cater to two very different types of clients you risk losing both. I'm not entirely convinced what Blizz is attempting is going to have the effect they are desiring.
05/24/2011 02:41 PMPosted by Whirlygig

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnd now we have the real life vs WoW comparisons. I knew it was only a matter of time.

What's wrong with Real Life to WoW comparisons, especially when they are valid enough to be seen?
If you want hard raid content the Firelands is there for you.

What we are seeing is just obsolete content getting nerfed to people can get geared easier for Firelands.

This.

What's wrong with Real Life to WoW comparisons, especially when they are valid enough to be seen?

Well, I always thought that this was a game. I guess I'm mistaken. =(
05/24/2011 02:40 PMPosted by Kteist
Burning Crusade swung the pendulum one way, and Wrath of the Lich King swung it back too far the other. We're attempting to find that middle ground where there's still something brutally difficult for the cutting edge, but content gradually comes down until it's extremely accessible (ie PUGable) either simply through gear proliferation, or literal content difficulty nerfs.

Um....no. I'm guessing you weren't around for BC or vanilla.

No matter how hard you think BC was, raiding was more accessible in BC than it ever was in vanilla. Even though BC is relatively inaccessible by today's standards, it was a breath of fresh air compared to vanilla. Cata really is the first time that Blizzard devs have tried to make content harder to access: BC raiding was more accessible than vanilla, and Wrath raiding was more accessible than BC.

The difficulty was just right in Wrath. The normal modes were accessible to normal players, and the heroic modes were that brutally difficult challenge for hardcore players.

Lol... Do you know who he is? Or im hoping for a troll.

Well, I always thought that this was a game. I guess I'm mistaken. =(

Well any sense of fiction is based on something real, don't they teach this in English literature classes or something?

As well, we're real. Real people play this game. Sorry, I don't see your correlation, so until then I'm going to agree with your guess that you're sadly mistaken, but add that to a lot of things :D
Like this troll in post 6. He has no reason to complain about easier with the gear he is wearing. But he acts like he is an expert when it comes to raiding.

Easier access to T11 gear isn't the only indirect nerfs to old content. The new faction in 4.2 gives 4 epics that are higher ilvl than T11 HM drops. Add in BoE's and you can get stuff quite a large increase in average ilvl to help with old content. Then people will also be getting VP gear at varying rates on top of those things.

Now I think Blizz should nerf T11 to some degree. I just think 20% nerfs across the board the second it becomes "old" is a bit much. A gradual nerf would probably be fitting. 5% the day T12 comes out, 10% around half way through T12, the full 20% when T13 comes out and T12 gets a 5% nerf the day T13 comes out.
05/24/2011 02:16 PMPosted by Samanosuke
I seriously wish you people would stop using "elitist" in such a wrong context. Elitism has nothing to do with this.

...and what do you mean by "you people"?

My context for elitism is perfectly correct. T11 raider doesn't want T11 content nerfed so other people can down it.
Obsolete content is obsolete.
If Firelands isn't the hardest raid we've ever encountered (and from the PTR, it definitely isn't) OR if new raids aren't quickly introduced after the Firelands, I'm not really seeing WoW's subscription numbers going back up anytime soon. For one thing, people are going to go through Firelands way too fast. Keeping the current raids at the current difficulty would offer more content for people to do, as they would still be somewhat of a challenge. The majority of guilds are not 13/13 and matter of fact, tons of guilds aren't even 12/12. What is the point of nerfing this content to the ground when they're going to be done with Firelands so fast? Gear obviously is not a factor, as the current Valor gear will be turned into Justice gear. If Blizzard doesn't add new content faster, people are going to get bored. Guilds will be 13/13, 7/7, with months until the next patch. We'll see what happens.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there's no point of doing the content now because in a few weeks/months we'll just be able to faceroll it!
I agree that directly nerfing the content as was actually the wrong way to go about it. The idea that giving them easier to obtain gear should be enough to get them to Fireland's quickly, but the idea of raiding is that you need to pick up mechanics. Just making them easier will mean that the people being let through won't be able to get through Firelands either.